    can't compare this to the "superbit" release as I haven't seen that one...

    Dave Chabot www.Shemakhan.com

    .... do what you will, but harm none.

    Lookingglass, Nov 29, 2003

  2. are there any commentaries on it?

    Vlvetmorning98, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    No... just the extra MAKING OF THE DARK CRYSTAL... it also comes with a
    reproduction of Henson's notebook and a frame from the film (35mm)... not
    much, but the film itself is glorious... much better than my laserdisc.

    Lookingglass, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Lookingglass

    Riffraff Guest

    How does it compare to the previous standard dvd?

    James

    Riffraff, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Riffraff wrote:

    > How does it compare to the previous standard dvd?

    It *is* the standard DVD, just with the frame of film and the little
    book and stuff.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 1, 2003
  6. Lookingglass

    Lookingglass Guest

    I talked with a friend of mine about the NEW version of THE DARK CRYSTAL...
    he says that the Disney release of the film was toned down (the color that
    is)... I remember being disappointed with the color of my laserdisc... but
    the color on this new release (by the Henson family) is a knockout...and the
    picture is sharp and crystal (pardon the pun) clear, so I think they are 2
    different versions of the same film... maybe someone can confirm that... all
    I know is that this is the version for me.

    Richard G Amirault, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Lookingglass

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Lookingglass" <> wrote in message
    > I talked with a friend of mine about the NEW version of THE DARK

    CRYSTAL...
    > he says that the Disney release of the film was toned down (the color

    that
    > is)... I remember being disappointed with the color of my laserdisc...

    but
    > the color on this new release (by the Henson family) is a

    knockout...and the
    > picture is sharp and crystal (pardon the pun) clear, so I think they

    are 2
    > different versions of the same film... maybe someone can confirm

    that... all
    > I know is that this is the version for me.

    The original laserdisc release had a video transfer approved by Jim
    Henson which was rather muted in its color scheme. After Henson died and
    Disney acquired the film, they put out a new transfer on laserdisc with
    brighter colors.

    http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=24426

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Lookingglass wrote:

    > I talked with a friend of mine about the NEW version of THE DARK CRYSTAL...
    > he says that the Disney release of the film was toned down (the color that
    > is)... I remember being disappointed with the color of my laserdisc... but
    > the color on this new release (by the Henson family) is a knockout...and the
    > picture is sharp and crystal (pardon the pun) clear, so I think they are 2
    > different versions of the same film... maybe someone can confirm that... all
    > I know is that this is the version for me.

    Sorry, all the reviews say it is the same Dark Crystal transfer as
    before, just bundled with extra goodies. They do that all of the type,
    bundle a DVD with a book, a frame of film, sometimes a sountrack, etc.,
    and call it a super-special edition. Now, there was also a Superbit
    release of Dark Crystal. That's the one I have.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 2, 2003