    Using protocol UDP or TCP.

    Any advice appreciated.
    Alistair+

    Alistair George, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Alistair George

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Alistair George <> wrote:
    > Hi All. I am considering Voice Communicator VCL suite of tools which
    > look quite good. However, not being conversant with VOIP I'd like some
    > advice please.
    >
    > The greatest weakness that I can see of VOIP is finding the destination
    > IP address. If a user is behind a router, or has dynamic address, please
    > tell how we can get his IP address over the net. I know
    > www.whatismyip.com but for programming purposes, that is not suitable of
    > course.

    This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
    freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
    software to it.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Israel, Palestine
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 31, 2005

  3. > This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
    > freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
    > software to it.
    >
    > miguel

    Thanks - but it would seem that the long-term reliability is suspect:
    Active Public Servers: For the benefit of the community's developers,
    Vovida.org site is making two public STUN servers available for everyone
    to use. These are running a very old version of the code and do not work
    with recent clients. The IP address of the STUN servers are:

    * 128.107.250.38
    * 128.107.250.39

    These are the only two public servers I have found.
    Al+

    Alistair George, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Alistair George

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Alistair George <> wrote:
    >> This is what STUN is for. Read up on RFC3489, then find one of the
    >> freely-available STUN servers, set it up, and direct your users' client
    >> software to it.

    > Thanks - but it would seem that the long-term reliability is suspect:

    Sorry, when I said "set it up", I meant install the STUN server software on
    some computer somewhere so that you had your own server running.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Apr 1, 2005
  5. > Sorry, when I said "set it up", I meant install the STUN server software on
    > some computer somewhere so that you had your own server running.
    >
    > miguel

    I have another solution which might be more suitable, because it uses my
    own web page, and own code, but if you have any concerns about validity
    please lets know: I use some javascript on my web page. My program
    calls this script, and then parses the resulting page to get the user IP
    address:
    http://www.spamdel.com/myip.shtml

    Thanks very much.
    Alistair+

    Alistair George, Apr 1, 2005
  6. Alistair George

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Alistair George <> wrote:
    > I have another solution which might be more suitable, because it uses my
    > own web page, and own code, but if you have any concerns about validity
    > please lets know: I use some javascript on my web page. My program
    > calls this script, and then parses the resulting page to get the user IP
    > address:
    > http://www.spamdel.com/myip.shtml

    What's the point of the Javascript? It just makes it much more difficult to
    parse.

    Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Apr 1, 2005

  7. > Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php

    > miguel

    Works well, but I dont know PHP and the best I could come up with is:

    But that wont echo to the page - any tips?

    Alistair George, Apr 2, 2005
  8. Alistair George

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Alistair George <> wrote:
    >> Why not just send the IP and be done with it: http://u.nu/ip.php

    > Works well, but I dont know PHP and the best I could come up with is:
    >
    > But that wont echo to the page - any tips?

    Sounds like your server is not processing it through PHP. Are you using
    Apache or one of the off-brand servers?

    Source code for ip.php:

    <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>

    So basically what you were doing.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Apr 2, 2005
  9. >
    > <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>
    >
    > So basically what you were doing.
    >
    > miguel

    No, that worked! thanks vm. Al+

    Alistair George, Apr 3, 2005
  10. Alistair George wrote:

    >> <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>
    >>
    >> So basically what you were doing.
    >>
    >> miguel

    > No, that worked! thanks vm. Al+

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    The problem was the surrounding quotation marks in original script:
    <?= $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] ?>
    should have been
    <?= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ?>

    Alistair George, Apr 3, 2005
  11. > account with a provider, and a free one is sufficient to the job. (The
    > provider may also offer additional services such as voicemail for calls
    > received when the UA of the callee is not registered).
    >
    > Enzo

    Tks 4 info. I would like to implement this sort of thing in Delphi, but
    it seems no one has rolled a component to manage SIP from the client
    point of view - yet?
    Al+

    Alistair George, Apr 5, 2005
  12. Alistair George

    -ip.com Guest

    Alistair George wrote:
    [...]
    > Tks 4 info. I would like to implement this sort of thing in Delphi,
    > but it seems no one has rolled a component to manage SIP from the
    > client point of view - yet?

    A quick google search for "sip delphi" returned (among other
    interesting hits):

    http://www.ictrnid.org.uk/index.html?softlib.html
    [...] SIP Stack 0.3 (D6) This ZIP file (457KB) contains the source code
    for the stack as well as a demo application. Last updated 24 December
    2004.

    The license seems to be quite liberal, BSD-style. However I haven't
    used it (and I don't know Delphi) so I cannot comment further.

    Enzo
    -ip.com, Apr 5, 2005

  13. > The license seems to be quite liberal, BSD-style. However I haven't
    > used it (and I don't know Delphi) so I cannot comment further.
    >
    > Enzo

    Hi Enzo. Appreciate, but that is for a SIP stack which is a host I
    suspect? I want to get SIP from the client point of view only, the host
    is much more comprehensive.
    Al+

    Alistair George, Apr 5, 2005