    I would prefer no to resent the BIOS and would be grateful for any advice on
    how to clear this password.
    Thanks.

    W, May 20, 2006

  2. W

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:38:37 +0100, W wrote:

    >I have an ancient Dell XPS T450 which has a user password set in the BIOS
    >which has to be entered every time the PC boots. This is tiresome and I

    www.dell.com , follow the links for Home Office then Support with the
    service tag to identify the system. This will take you to the manuals
    and FAQ.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 20, 2006

  3. W

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Sounds like a system password set in the bios, since you have the password
    you should be able to get into the bios to turn it off. Just check every
    screen until you find it. Otherwise you have to clear it by resetting it.
    Temporarily disable your antivirus software, do a Google search for "kill
    cmos" down load it and run it.

    pcbutts1, May 20, 2006
  4. W

    thanatoid Guest

    "W" <> wrote in

    > I have an ancient Dell XPS T450 which has a user password
    > set in the BIOS which has to be entered every time the PC
    > boots. This is tiresome and I would like to clear it but
    > can not find an obvious way to do this in the BIOS. I also
    > have a Dell Dimension 4100 (same case) and this PC does
    > have a clear password option in the BIOS.
    > I would prefer no to resent the BIOS and would be grateful
    > for any advice on how to clear this password.
    > Thanks.

    You obviously HAVE the password, so you can change it to blank.
    The password setting HAS to be somewhere, you're not looking
    hard enough.

    If you REALLY can't find it, the link to manuals someone just
    gave you might help. But an amazing amount of VERY important
    info is sometimes left out of manuals.

    Personally, I'd just leave it. Having someone (roommate,
    coworker, kid, wife, gf) mess with your computer and **** it up
    really good is a lot worse then having to hit 5 or 10 keys once
    or twice a day (week?).

    The first thing I do with any computer I get or have to use is
    put in a BIOS password. Then I format, partition, and then I
    install DOS and Xtree Gold for DOS.
    Just a little useless information for you.

    BTW, BIOS passwords can sometimes be totally ineffective. IIRC,
    some years ago (I have no idea of it is still the case) you
    could get into any Award BIOS machine by typing AWARD instead of
    whatever the p/w actually was set to. I don't have that much
    experience with different machines, but I suspect brand name
    machines maybe did not offer that "feature" (sure is a good
    thing Microsoft does not make BIOS chips...).

    Of course, you can also take out the battery or the BIOS chip
    for a moment and the "door" opens. But a surprising amount of
    people don't think of it.

    --
    thanatoid-TipĀ® #20
    There are dark and scary tunnels where awful things happen to

    thanatoid, May 21, 2006