Dell X200 Cold-boot is fine, reboot throws "Operating System Not Found"

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mike, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello all,

    This is an issue that has been bugging me for a while now. I have a
    Dell Latitude X200 that recently lost an HD. I replaced it with a
    Samsung 30GB drive and all seemed well. I installed Windows XP and
    then a very strange problem occurred. If the machine is rebooted, BIOS
    will hang at the prompts to hit F2 to enter setup and F12 for Boot list
    and after a minute or two, will throw the error that "No Operating
    System Found". If I power off the machine and power it on, it works
    perfectly every single time. If I reboot, both from Windows, or even
    from a Knoppix CD, the HD isn't seen by BIOS.

    It seemed to me to be a BIOS issue since it would not let me get into
    BIOS after rebooting... I'd have to cold boot for F2 to work. I
    flashed the BIOS with the latest (A09) from Dell's website and it did
    nothing to correct the problem. I've tried disabling all extra ports
    and peripherals in BIOS to no avail. Any ideas folks?

    As reference, the power requirements for the new Samsung drive are
    about half the requirements for the old TravelStar that was in there
    before.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Mike
    Mike, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Mike

    R. McCarty Guest

    How are your BIOS settings for IDE/ATAPI devices set ? or do you
    even have any options in that regard. Usually, Dell masks out the BIOS
    display of IDE devices with their Splash screen.

    It's possible the Samsung is not spinning up quickly enough for BIOS
    to detect it's presence. Before you installed the replacement did you
    check/set the jumpers on the new disk. On 2.5" drives the jumper field
    may be on the electronics board on the bottom side of the drive. I
    would go to Samsungs site and get the PDF install/manual for the drive
    and check settings.

    If possible, I would manually define the IDE Channel/Tap that the
    Samsung drive is on, so it doesn't need to Autodetect it at each boot.

    R. McCarty, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Well, from a cold start, the drive seems to spin up quick enough to
    allow BIOS to see it and I assumed the drive continued to spin through
    a reboot but I guess it is possible the computer interrupts power
    momentarily. If I <TAB> past the splash screen I do in fact notice
    that BIOS skips detection of the HD and then throws the operating
    system error. But if I shut the machine off, and turn it right back
    on, BIOS detects it perfectly fine and fast.

    There are no options in BIOS to speak of regarding HD settings, which
    is quite annoying as it'd be nice if there was at least the throw-back
    to the days of IDE Pre-Delay.

    I checked Samsung's sight for a manual and turned of was was
    essentially the little 4x3 notecard that came with the drive. It
    describes jumper settings and such but this is a laptop, with a single
    IDE connection for the HD and both the old drive and this drive are set
    to "master". The only other option I can set it to that makes sense is
    cable select but that seems like it'd complicate the situation.

    Do you know if there is a way to envoke some kind of "Expert" mode on
    the Dell BIOS's?

    I'm also going to try running the Samsung Utility on the drive as well
    as Dell Diagnostics to see if that reveals any hidden settings.

    Thanks so much for the quick reply!
    Mike, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Mike

    R. McCarty Guest

    Unfortunately, Dell BIOS settings are fairly limited in scope. You didn't
    mention the model #, but I would check Dell's website and see what the
    current BIOS firmware version is. It's hard to globally recommend a
    BIOS flash update, but in your case it might be warranted. Most times a
    drive is a drive, but every vendor has differing specifications and you may
    have one of those, "Won't work if, then,else" type of situations. I would
    check the BIOS setup (Advanced or Peripheral - if it exists) and check
    the IDE controller settings. The new drive is probably a UDMA mode 4
    drive and should work with older IDE controller settings.
    Good Luck and be patient - I really dislike these operations which should
    work and you end up spending time working out all the Quirks & Anomalies.

    R. McCarty, Oct 17, 2005