    "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 28, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Philip Roy Guest

    Philip Roy, May 28, 2006

  3. On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:54:36 +1200, Philip Roy wrote:

    > Dell with Google
    > Yahoo with eBay
    > M$ with...umm...Xtra ?? ;-)

    M$ has been with Telecom/Xtra for years already. Telecom/Xtra is a
    Micro$oft stooge.

    I think that M$ will have difficulties finding a credible "partner"
    against Dell/Google/Yahoo/eBay.

    After all... M$ tends to be the Black Widow of the IT world - and eats its
    partners.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 28, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:54:36 +1200, Philip Roy wrote:
    >
    > > Dell with Google
    > > Yahoo with eBay
    > > M$ with...umm...Xtra ?? ;-)

    > M$ has been with Telecom/Xtra for years already. Telecom/Xtra is a
    > Micro$oft stooge.

    No kidding. It was a joke.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com

    Philip Roy, May 28, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.playfuls.com/news_02733_...o_with_eBay_Microsoft_Left_Outside_Alone.html
    >
    > "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    > complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    Very good, from a Romanian website, too I see. How on earth did you find
    that?

    ...ah, Slashdot again.

    If you are going to start reporting all the deals Microsoft *isn't*
    involved in, as well as the ones it is, this is going to get tedious
    real fast.

    It is going to drive you crazy. Get help.

    -=rjh=-, May 28, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    shannon Guest

    Actually Microsofts Google competitor looks pretty good Re: Dell

    http://www.live.com/

    shannon, May 28, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Re: Actually Microsofts Google competitor looks pretty good Re: Dell

    shannon wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> http://www.playfuls.com/news_02733_...o_with_eBay_Microsoft_Left_Outside_Alone.html
    >>>

    >>> "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    >>> complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""
    >>>

    >> Very good, from a Romanian website, too I see. How on earth did you
    >> find that?
    >>
    >> ..ah, Slashdot again.
    >>
    >> If you are going to start reporting all the deals Microsoft *isn't*
    >> involved in, as well as the ones it is, this is going to get tedious
    >> real fast.
    >>
    >> It is going to drive you crazy. Get help.

    > http://www.live.com/

    It is continually improving - when I mentioned it here a couple of
    months ago I said it was an embarrassment to MS, but they've come a long
    way.

    It is better than Google (not google search, though), but I still prefer
    Protopage and Fold looks great, too.

    But I hate the search results, prefer to navigate a page at a time, in a
    page size I specify. That way I can go do something in other tabs while
    the search results are loading, in live you have to be reading the page
    while the results are loading, and this will be a real pain on dialup.
    MS don't get tabbed browsing at all.

    The thing that really annoys me about the large company startpages is
    that they don't offer any easy way to add your own content, they assume
    that people are only interested in having information pushed to them
    over the net, which is sad.

    -=rjh=-, May 28, 2006
  8. On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:39:18 +1200, Philip Roy wrote:

    >> > Dell with Google
    >> > Yahoo with eBay
    >> > M$ with...umm...Xtra ?? ;-)

    >> M$ has been with Telecom/Xtra for years already. Telecom/Xtra is a
    >> Micro$oft stooge.

    > No kidding. It was a joke.

    Yes - I appreciated that the ";-)" indicated you were not serious.

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 28, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 15:11:39 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Very good, from a Romanian website, too I see. How on earth did you find
    > that?

    Does it matter? Is it a competition? Thank *rjh* for posting it here. OK.
    Yes!

    Gordon, May 28, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    s.te.v.e., May 28, 2006
  11. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > If you are going to start reporting all the deals Microsoft isn't
    > involved in, as well as the ones it is, this is going to get tedious
    > real fast.
    >
    > It is going to drive you crazy. Get help.

    That the story appears to be true doesn't cause you any concern whatever.

    Good......complacency is important in ending MS's monopoly.

    s.te.v.e., May 28, 2006
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    s.te.v.e. exclaimed:

    > > "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    > > complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    > They'll buy Dell.

    Hehe, I hope they try. Imagine the outcry from the other PC "makers"
    (branders). Even the US antitrust laws might have to be dusted off for
    that one.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, May 28, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.playfuls.com/news_02733_...o_with_eBay_Microsoft_Left_Outside_Alone.html
    >
    > "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    > complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    Ignore the MS issue here because it isn't important.

    Maybe the real news is Google and Dell. If they take their alliance
    further, maybe Google can work with Dell as a manufacturer/distributor
    for a startup that Google bought last year, called Android. Andy Rubin
    is involved along with other high profile developers who have a
    background in non-PC devices so it may be worth watching what happens there.

    -=rjh=-, May 29, 2006
  14. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    s.te.v.e. wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> If you are going to start reporting all the deals Microsoft isn't
    >> involved in, as well as the ones it is, this is going to get tedious
    >> real fast.
    >>
    >> It is going to drive you crazy. Get help.

    > That the story appears to be true doesn't cause you any concern whatever.

    What story? That MS didn't do a deal with somebody? How can it be true
    or not true if nothing actually happened?

    The article is just an opinion piece - not a story at all. It is a
    concern that MS *not* doing something can be considered news. It shows
    how hung up on MS everybody is, and that is bad - but exactly what MS
    wants. Ignore them and maybe they'll go away. There is so much happening
    that MS has nothing to do with and time is better spent focusing on that.

    Tea's constant carping at MS only reinforces the fact that they are or
    are not doing anything. No such thing as bad publicity, etc.

    > Good......complacency is important in ending MS's monopoly.

    I don't understand. If we are are complacent, how are we going to end
    MS' monopoly?

    -=rjh=-, May 29, 2006
  15. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    impossible Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >> http://www.playfuls.com/news_02733_...o_with_eBay_Microsoft_Left_Outside_Alone.html
    >>
    >> "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    >> complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    > Ignore the MS issue here because it isn't important.
    >
    > Maybe the real news is Google and Dell. If they take their alliance
    > further, maybe Google can work with Dell as a
    > manufacturer/distributor for a startup that Google bought last year,
    > called Android. Andy Rubin is involved along with other high profile
    > developers who have a background in non-PC devices so it may be
    > worth watching what happens there.

    In the war over who's going to control portals and market share, why
    would anyone be interested in taking sides? Most of the RSS feeds on
    these kind of issues are planted by people with a vested interest in
    the share price of whoever it is they happen to be touting (or dumping
    on). Fine, if you're into that sort of thing. But I can't for the life
    of me figure out any other reason to take notice.

    impossible, May 30, 2006
  16. On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:17:52 -0400, impossible wrote:

    > But I can't for the life
    > of me figure out any other reason to take notice.

    How about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    Software?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 30, 2006
  17. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    -=rjh=- Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> http://www.playfuls.com/news_02733_...o_with_eBay_Microsoft_Left_Outside_Alone.html
    >>>
    >>> "" All these changes in the Portal Wars leave Microsoft facing a
    >>> complicated question: who are they going to ally with? ""

    >> Ignore the MS issue here because it isn't important.
    >>
    >> Maybe the real news is Google and Dell. If they take their alliance
    >> further, maybe Google can work with Dell as a
    >> manufacturer/distributor for a startup that Google bought last year,
    >> called Android. Andy Rubin is involved along with other high profile
    >> developers who have a background in non-PC devices so it may be
    >> worth watching what happens there.

    > In the war over who's going to control portals and market share, why
    > would anyone be interested in taking sides?

    My comment wasn't about taking sides or market share, it was more about
    a new toy to play with, and where that technology might appear.

    -=rjh=-, May 30, 2006
  18. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    impossible Guest

    "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:17:52 -0400, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> But I can't for the life
    >> of me figure out any other reason to take notice.

    > How about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    > Software?

    Capitalizing a phrase doesn't make it a high principle. Google's deal
    with Dell, and Yahoo's deal with eBay, are about money. When Microsoft
    makes its next deal with some vendor or portal, the same principle
    will apply.

    impossible, May 30, 2006
  19. On Tue, 30 May 2006 08:51:14 -0400, impossible wrote:

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:17:52 -0400, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> But I can't for the life
    >>> of me figure out any other reason to take notice.

    >> How about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    >> Software?
    >>

    > Capitalizing a phrase doesn't make it a high principle. Google's deal
    > with Dell, and Yahoo's deal with eBay, are about money. When Microsoft
    > makes its next deal with some vendor or portal, the same principle
    > will apply.

    What about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    Software?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, May 31, 2006
  20. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    > On Tue, 30 May 2006 08:51:14 -0400, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message

    >>> How about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    >>> Software?
    >>>

    >> Capitalizing a phrase doesn't make it a high principle. Google's
    >> deal
    >> with Dell, and Yahoo's deal with eBay, are about money. When
    >> Microsoft
    >> makes its next deal with some vendor or portal, the same principle
    >> will apply.

    > What about the two high principles of Open Standards and Freedom of
    > Software?

    Your needle's stuck.

    impossible, Jun 1, 2006