    to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower each
    time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on one or
    the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

    Wanda Rayfield, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Wanda Rayfield

    BOB_7732 Guest

    I will try to answer the first one, wireless modems is like say you are
    using the laptop & want to connect to the Internet from say riding in a car
    or bus or being where there is no phone jack.

    Bob

    Hope this helps

    "Wanda Rayfield" <> wrote in message
    > I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a

    "Dell
    > Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in the

    box
    > is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC
    > Card Quick Start Guide".
    >
    > Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and

    one
    > desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer

    able

    BOB_7732, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Then, I just put this card into the notebook and I can go on line while
    riding in my car? Sorry to be so simple minded, but this is a mystery to me.
    Wanda

    Wanda Rayfield, Oct 22, 2005
  4. Wanda Rayfield

    James Guest

    >I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a
    >"Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in
    >the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350
    >WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
    >
    > Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and
    > one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer
    > able to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower
    > each time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on
    > one or the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

    The card you have is a wireless network card. It is basically a device to
    link two or more computers together on a network without the need for a
    physical cable running between them. The 'card quick start guide' would
    seem to be basic instructions on how to set it up and the cd would be the
    drivers for the computer to recognise the device.

    You can connect the two computers, if you dont have wireless networking on
    the desktop pc, you will have to connect them 'wired' i.e. running a cable
    between the two computers.

    You can use the printer on both computers, searching for "file and printer
    sharing" should give you some ideas on how to set it up. Unless you have a
    dedicated printer server or a router that a printer can connect to then you
    will have to have the pc the printer is connected to switched on when you
    want to print from the other computer. It is possible to share the internet
    connection as well in the same manner. (This is where a router is useful
    because it allows either pc to use the internet without the main pc with the
    moden in being switched on).

    James, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Wanda Rayfield

    Toolman Tim Guest

    No. You probably won't get online randomly running around in your car. You
    need to be near an access point ("hot spot"). Many hotels and such offer
    wireless connections for guests. Most Internet Cafes have wireless. Some
    truckstops do too. If you have broadband ISP connection in your home, you
    can add an access point (usually a wireless router) and be online without
    connecting with a wire. Many offices have wireless connections for their
    intranet and Internet, so the laptop users can connect anywhere without
    having to plug it in.

    Wanda Rayfield wrote:
    > Then, I just put this card into the notebook and I can go on line
    > while riding in my car? Sorry to be so simple minded, but this is a
    > mystery to me. Wanda
    > "BOB_7732" <> wrote in message
    >> I will try to answer the first one, wireless modems is like say you
    >> are using the laptop & want to connect to the Internet from say
    >> riding in a car
    >> or bus or being where there is no phone jack.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >>

    >> "Wanda Rayfield" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box
    >>> with a "Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does
    >>> this do? Also in the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a
    >>> booklet "Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
    >>>
    >>> Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one
    >>> notebook and one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk
    >>> top. And is one printer able to connect to both computers. If so,
    >>> do I have to pull out the tower each time I need to disconnect or
    >>> connect for the use of the printer on one or the other computer.
    >>> Thanks, Wanda

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 22, 2005
  6. Wanda Rayfield

    phrogee Guest

    >I have just received my new Dell notebook and inside was a box with a
    >"Dell Wireless 1350 802.11 b/g PC Card What does this do? Also in
    >the box is a CD "Drivers and Utilities" and a booklet "Dell Wireless 1350
    >WLAN PC Card Quick Start Guide".
    >
    > Next question: Is it possible to connect two computers, one notebook and
    > one desk top, in one house? I have DSL for my desk top. And is one printer
    > able to connect to both computers. If so, do I have to pull out the tower
    > each time I need to disconnect or connect for the use of the printer on
    > one or the other computer. Thanks, Wanda

    The "Drivers and Utilities" program will contain all the drivers for all the
    programs factory installed. It may also include some "optional" programs
    which may not be loaded. The "utilities" part may contain diagnostics
    programs which need not be loaded unless you're having trouble with the PC's
    operation.

    --
    phrogee

    phrogee, Oct 22, 2005