    Technology Advancement Program registration?
    Thanks,
    Kodiak
    David, May 29, 2005

  2. I believe the exchange program is only for Windows XP Professional not
    Windows XP Home.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 29, 2005

  3. You can find details of the exchange program at

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=, May 29, 2005
  4. David wrote:
    > I bought a Dell system a year ago, and I no longer use it, now that I've
    > built my custom system. Its currently using a trial copy of WinXP
    > 64-bit, that expires on 3/21/06, using
    > https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx I was
    > wondering if I could transfer my Dell's 32-bit XP license to my new PC.
    > Will it work on my newer PC? Why do they want billing info @ the
    > Technology Advancement Program registration?
    > Thanks,
    > Kodiak

    If i understand you correctly, you replaced the Dell's OEM WinXP Home
    installation with WinXPx64, and you want to re-use that OEM WinXP Home
    license on a different computer. This is not allowed under the EULA to
    which you agreed when you first purchased and started up the Dell.

    An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
    motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
    bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
    installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
    circumstances.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, May 29, 2005
  5. David wrote:
    > Why do they want billing info @ the
    > Technology Advancement Program registration?
    > Thanks,
    > Kodiak

    For shipping costs. :)

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, May 29, 2005
  6. David

    David Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> I bought a Dell system a year ago, and I no longer use it, now that
    >> I've built my custom system. Its currently using a trial copy of WinXP
    >> 64-bit, that expires on 3/21/06, using
    >> https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx I was
    >> wondering if I could transfer my Dell's 32-bit XP license to my new
    >> PC. Will it work on my newer PC? Why do they want billing info @ the
    >> Technology Advancement Program registration?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Kodiak

    > If i understand you correctly, you replaced the Dell's OEM WinXP
    > Home installation with WinXPx64, and you want to re-use that OEM WinXP
    > Home license on a different computer. This is not allowed under the
    > EULA to which you agreed when you first purchased and started up the Dell.
    >
    > An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
    > motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
    > bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
    > installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under _any_
    > circumstances.

    No, I am no longer using my Dell, and on my current PC, its running a
    1-year trial of x64. I want to use my Dell's 32-bit license for the
    Technology Advancement Program, so I don't have to purchase Windows once
    my 64-bit trial runs out.
    David, May 29, 2005
  7. David <> wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought a Dell system a year ago, and I no longer use it, now that
    >>> I've built my custom system. Its currently using a trial copy of
    >>> WinXP 64-bit, that expires on 3/21/06, using
    >>> https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx I was
    >>> wondering if I could transfer my Dell's 32-bit XP license to my new
    >>> PC. Will it work on my newer PC? Why do they want billing info @ the
    >>> Technology Advancement Program registration?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Kodiak

    >> If i understand you correctly, you replaced the Dell's OEM WinXP
    >> Home installation with WinXPx64, and you want to re-use that OEM
    >> WinXP Home license on a different computer. This is not allowed
    >> under the EULA to which you agreed when you first purchased and started
    >> up the
    >> Dell. An OEM version must be sold with a piece of hardware (normally a
    >> motherboard or hard rive, if not an entire PC) and is _permanently_
    >> bound to the first PC on which it's installed. An OEM license, once
    >> installed, is not legally transferable to another computer under
    >> _any_ circumstances.
    >>

    > No, I am no longer using my Dell, and on my current PC, its running a
    > 1-year trial of x64. I want to use my Dell's 32-bit license for the
    > Technology Advancement Program, so I don't have to purchase Windows
    > once my 64-bit trial runs out.

    As far as I understand, the first exchange will take place now, with you
    Dell's 32bit licence that you're not using anymore.... and didn't use to get
    x64. So, it seems perfectly legal to me

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa
    Christian Hougardy, May 29, 2005
  8. Check out Dells Exchange policy:
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&DN=1092409&l=en&s=gen
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 29, 2005
  9. David wrote:

    > No, I am no longer using my Dell, and on my current PC, its running a
    > 1-year trial of x64. I want to use my Dell's 32-bit license for the
    > Technology Advancement Program, so I don't have to purchase Windows once
    > my 64-bit trial runs out.

    I see. No, you cannot use a license of WinXP Home that is permanently
    bound to the Dell PC to qualify for the exchange program on another
    computer. Anyway, as I understand the way the exchange program works,
    you have to have purchased a qualifying license for 32-bit WinXP *Pro*
    along with 64-bit hardware within the specified dates.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, May 29, 2005
  10. Bruce Chambers <0m> wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> No, I am no longer using my Dell, and on my current PC, its running a
    >> 1-year trial of x64. I want to use my Dell's 32-bit license for the
    >> Technology Advancement Program, so I don't have to purchase Windows
    >> once my 64-bit trial runs out.

    > I see. No, you cannot use a license of WinXP Home that is permanently
    > bound to the Dell PC to qualify for the exchange program on another
    > computer. Anyway, as I understand the way the exchange program works,
    > you have to have purchased a qualifying license for 32-bit WinXP *Pro*
    > along with 64-bit hardware within the specified dates.

    I think Dell does have an exchange program doesn't it ?

    Christian Hougardy, May 29, 2005
  11. Christian Hougardy wrote:

    > I think Dell does have an exchange program doesn't it ?

    They may very well have one, but it wouldn't help the OP. He's trying
    to use an OEM 32-bit WinXP Home license that he obtained along with an
    old 32-bit Dell computer to qualify for the product exchange to get
    WinXPx64 for use on another computer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, May 29, 2005
  12. Bruce Chambers <0m> wrote:
    > Christian Hougardy wrote:
    >

    >> I think Dell does have an exchange program doesn't it ?
    >>

    > They may very well have one, but it wouldn't help the OP. He's trying
    > to use an OEM 32-bit WinXP Home license that he obtained along with an
    > old 32-bit Dell computer to qualify for the product exchange to get
    > WinXPx64 for use on another computer.

    Yes, you're right.

    Christian Hougardy, May 29, 2005
  13. David

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    David, Dell is supporting X64 Windows Edition's for their Corporate
    Customer's Only (Precision Workstation's Only).

    Kevin Panzke, May 30, 2005
  14. Oh, didn't know, but worth mentioning anyway.

    Andre Da Costa, May 30, 2005