    release, Windows 98 is up to date. 89% resources free on the Dell. Did a
    scan disk with no errors. Defragmented. Anything I can check? Reasons
    for freezing?

    Angie, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Angie

    MarkMandell Guest

    "Angie" <> wrote in message
    news:D7vAg.7036$...
    > Any thoughts on how to remedy a Dell computer with Windows 98 that freezes
    > periodically while using I Explorer for the internet? IE is current
    > release, Windows 98 is up to date. 89% resources free on the Dell. Did a
    > scan disk with no errors. Defragmented. Anything I can check? Reasons
    > for freezing?

    Spyware infestation, overheating cpu, RAM problems,.

    For the first, go to www.majorgeeks.com in the Spyware section, download at
    least one program(like Spybot S & D but update it first).

    For the second, you'd need to access the BIOS setup and find out what the
    cpu's temp reading is. Anything above 60 degrees Centigrade isn't good.

    For the third, go to memtest86.com and download the diagnostic utility onto
    a floppy or burn to a CD then run for several hours.

    MarkMandell, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Angie

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Angie wrote:
    > Any thoughts on how to remedy a Dell computer with Windows 98 that freezes
    > periodically while using I Explorer for the internet? IE is current
    > release, Windows 98 is up to date. 89% resources free on the Dell. Did a
    > scan disk with no errors. Defragmented. Anything I can check? Reasons
    > for freezing?

    You can always try another browser like Firefox free that is much like
    IE and see if the problem follows.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 4, 2006