dell widescreen LCD

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Graeme Prentice, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Hi

    Dell have a 25% off special on their 20 inch widescreen LCD at present
    and 20% off the 19 inch one. The widescreen has .25 dot pixel pitch
    and the 19 inch has .29 (I think). With approx the same number of
    vertical pixels (1024 or so) this would mean the size of characters
    would actually be smaller on the 20 inch so you would actually get less
    information vertically on the 20 inch than on the 19 inch - if you
    wanted to keep to a certain physical character size. Does that sound
    right?

    Anyone got a Dell 20 inch widescreen LCD?
    Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?

    TIA.

    akiwi
    Graeme Prentice, Jun 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Graeme Prentice

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Graeme Prentice wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Dell have a 25% off special on their 20 inch widescreen LCD at present
    > and 20% off the 19 inch one. The widescreen has .25 dot pixel pitch
    > and the 19 inch has .29 (I think). With approx the same number of
    > vertical pixels (1024 or so) this would mean the size of characters
    > would actually be smaller on the 20 inch so you would actually get less
    > information vertically on the 20 inch than on the 19 inch - if you
    > wanted to keep to a certain physical character size. Does that sound
    > right?
    >
    > Anyone got a Dell 20 inch widescreen LCD?
    > Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?


    The 20" widescreen looks sweet. The resolutions on the 19" are too low,
    hence the .29 dot pitch. The pixel pitch on the 17" is 0.264 which
    means that fonts etc on the 20" should look fine. In fact the 20" 4:3
    and 20" 16:10 monitors have roughly the same dot pitch.

    Shame no one produces 19" monitors with 1600x1200 or 1400x1050
    resolutions as current 19" LCD monitors are the same resolution as 17"
    which is a waste. Its a bit like running a 17" monitor at 800x600
    (which I do see in some offices).

    Love to know of anyone in NZ using this monitor as the current DELL
    deal is very good. NZ$ 921.38 delivered inclusive.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Jun 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Graeme Prentice

    gimp Guest

    Graeme Prentice wrote:
    > [snip] With approx the same number of
    > vertical pixels (1024 or so) this would mean the size of characters
    > would actually be smaller on the 20 inch so you would actually get less
    > information vertically on the 20 inch than on the 19 inch - if you
    > wanted to keep to a certain physical character size. Does that sound
    > right?



    dunno. but i felt the 20" widescreen would be too small overall.. esp in
    height, so i've asked for pricing/availability on the 2405FPW (24")
    widescreen >:) still waiting...


    > Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?


    dell have a 15 day "total customer satisfaction guarantuee" (on the
    website) so if u don't like something basically send it back. only
    applies if purchased direct from Dell NZ, not Dell USA etc.

    that's basically the reason why i've chosen them for a highend LCD, i
    could go for a sony/HP 23" but they have pretty crap pixel policies.
    that and in terms of quality/price the dell kicks their arses :)
    gimp, Jun 29, 2005
    #3
  4. Graeme Prentice

    Steven Ellis Guest

    gimp wrote:
    > Graeme Prentice wrote:
    > > [snip] With approx the same number of
    > > vertical pixels (1024 or so) this would mean the size of characters
    > > would actually be smaller on the 20 inch so you would actually get less
    > > information vertically on the 20 inch than on the 19 inch - if you
    > > wanted to keep to a certain physical character size. Does that sound
    > > right?

    >
    >
    > dunno. but i felt the 20" widescreen would be too small overall.. esp in
    > height, so i've asked for pricing/availability on the 2405FPW (24")
    > widescreen >:) still waiting...


    Good luck. I asked them about that model 2 months ago.

    Also asked them if I could order off the AU website as i'd have save
    about NZ$200 on the 20" Widescreen model at the time. Prices are a lot
    closer now.

    > > Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?

    >
    > dell have a 15 day "total customer satisfaction guarantuee" (on the
    > website) so if u don't like something basically send it back. only
    > applies if purchased direct from Dell NZ, not Dell USA etc.
    >
    > that's basically the reason why i've chosen them for a highend LCD, i
    > could go for a sony/HP 23" but they have pretty crap pixel policies.
    > that and in terms of quality/price the dell kicks their arses :)


    Useful to know, athough watch out as you will probably be hit with the
    freight charge for both directions.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Jun 29, 2005
    #4
  5. Graeme Prentice

    Rob Guest

    "Graeme Prentice" <> wrote in message
    news:42c1e840$...
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Dell have a 25% off special on their 20 inch widescreen LCD at present
    > and 20% off the 19 inch one. The widescreen has .25 dot pixel pitch
    > and the 19 inch has .29 (I think). With approx the same number of
    > vertical pixels (1024 or so) this would mean the size of characters
    > would actually be smaller on the 20 inch so you would actually get less
    > information vertically on the 20 inch than on the 19 inch - if you
    > wanted to keep to a certain physical character size. Does that sound
    > right?
    >
    > Anyone got a Dell 20 inch widescreen LCD?
    > Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > akiwi


    Have you thought about getting 2x 19 inch ones and running dual screens.
    You get a lot more screen real estate. The problem with large LCD monitors,
    is that their pixel respose speeds are slower than for the smaller screens.
    Personally a 20 inch screen at 1600 pixels would probably be a bit too small
    per screen size.
    Rob, Jun 29, 2005
    #5
  6. Graeme Prentice

    gimp Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:
    >>dell have a 15 day "total customer satisfaction guarantuee" (on the
    >>website) so if u don't like something basically send it back. only
    >>applies if purchased direct from Dell NZ, not Dell USA etc.


    > Useful to know, athough watch out as you will probably be hit with the
    > freight charge for both directions.


    if u mean in relation to a return issue then only the local freight
    charge would apply, if you've purchased through dell NZ (or you could
    simply drop it back to them and there'd be no fee).

    when originally purchasing it i'm sure they would mark it up a couple
    hundred or so to cover the initial freight, don't have a problem with
    that but its starting to look like they actually just can't be arsed.
    gimp, Jun 29, 2005
    #6
  7. Graeme Prentice

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:40:37 +1200, gimp <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >if u mean in relation to a return issue then only the local freight
    >charge would apply, if you've purchased through dell NZ (or you could
    >simply drop it back to them and there'd be no fee).
    >


    Drop it back where..?

    --
    SETI Stats
    http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off
    DoggNZ, Jun 29, 2005
    #7
  8. Graeme Prentice

    Rob Guest

    "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:40:37 +1200, gimp <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >if u mean in relation to a return issue then only the local freight
    > >charge would apply, if you've purchased through dell NZ (or you could
    > >simply drop it back to them and there'd be no fee).
    > >

    >
    > Drop it back where..?
    >
    > --
    > SETI Stats
    > http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off


    I think they have offices somewhere in Auckland, but whether they would
    accept it... It has to go back to an asian country.
    Rob, Jun 29, 2005
    #8
  9. Graeme Prentice

    Daver Guest

    Just done that, and a lot more useful than the bigger monitor option.


    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:1120016836.230010@ftpsrv1...
    >
    > "Graeme Prentice" <> wrote in message
    > news:42c1e840$...
    > >

    >
    > Have you thought about getting 2x 19 inch ones and running dual screens.
    > You get a lot more screen real estate. The problem with large LCD

    monitors,
    > is that their pixel respose speeds are slower than for the smaller

    screens.
    > Personally a 20 inch screen at 1600 pixels would probably be a bit too

    small
    > per screen size.
    >
    >
    Daver, Jun 29, 2005
    #9
  10. Graeme Prentice

    akiwi Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:52:24 +1200, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Graeme Prentice" <> wrote in message
    >news:42c1e840$...
    >>
    >>
    >> Anyone got a Dell 20 inch widescreen LCD?
    >> Anyone know if Dell have a bright or dead pixel guarantee?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> akiwi

    >
    >Have you thought about getting 2x 19 inch ones and running dual screens.
    >You get a lot more screen real estate. The problem with large LCD monitors,
    >is that their pixel respose speeds are slower than for the smaller screens.
    >Personally a 20 inch screen at 1600 pixels would probably be a bit too small
    >per screen size.
    >


    What do you mean by "too small per screen size"?

    Some applications have problems with dual monitors. I'm guessing that
    the widescreen monitor would also be better for widescreen movies - if
    they're available. A single monitor is probably also better for
    viewing really wide things that are best to be continuous rather than
    broken between two monitors - depending slightly on the width of the
    "border" of the LCD.

    akiwi
    akiwi, Jun 29, 2005
    #10
  11. Graeme Prentice

    Richard Guest

    > What do you mean by "too small per screen size"?
    >
    > Some applications have problems with dual monitors. I'm guessing that
    > the widescreen monitor would also be better for widescreen movies - if
    > they're available. A single monitor is probably also better for
    > viewing really wide things that are best to be continuous rather than
    > broken between two monitors - depending slightly on the width of the
    > "border" of the LCD.


    Im in the one big screen camp now after trying dual 15" crts and finding it
    annoying. Plus on a taller crt I can look at 2 full a4 pages side by side in
    word and actually read the text, something that dual monitor cant really do.
    Richard, Jun 29, 2005
    #11
  12. Graeme Prentice

    Geoff M Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:45:50 +1200, Rob wrote:

    > "DoggNZ" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:40:37 +1200, gimp <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>if u mean in relation to a return issue then only the local freight
    >>>charge would apply, if you've purchased through dell NZ (or you could
    >>>simply drop it back to them and there'd be no fee).
    >>>

    >>
    >> Drop it back where..?
    >>
    >> --
    >> SETI Stats
    >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats.php/userID:1999/prj:1/trans:off

    >
    > I think they have offices somewhere in Auckland, but whether they would
    > accept it... It has to go back to an asian country.


    Their office is a PO box. the phones go through to Australia (or India...)
    My Dell laptop had a lot of warrenty repairs (effectively it was completely
    replaced). The warrenty service was good, but their phone support in
    India... I would still prefer to deal with a company that has a NZ presence
    - it makes it easier to serve the summons to Disputes Tribunal...
    geoff
    Geoff M, Jun 30, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Limited Edition Clear Vinyl

    Widescreen shows on widescreen TV

    Limited Edition Clear Vinyl, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    884
    Ronald Cole
    Apr 4, 2004
  2. Rich

    Widescreen LCD's

    Rich, May 12, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    518
    Whiskers
    May 13, 2006
  3. pixel
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    357
    pixel
    Mar 12, 2005
  4. Steven Ellis
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    532
  5. liukaiyuan

    Widescreen: Widescreen TVs at SEARS

    liukaiyuan, May 4, 2008, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    593
    liukaiyuan
    May 4, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page