    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 20, 2005

  2. thats just a rip off , glad i did not get a dell when i got my new system

    =?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=, May 20, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa

    DKI Guest

    from what i read it migh seem a rip off but your paying a cheaper rate than
    the full product and also the ability to go back to your 32bit licience so
    you can go back to it if you do not like it unlike the microsoft trade in it
    invalades the XP licience totally and if you don't like it you have to buy
    the new licence.

    DKI, May 20, 2005
  4. $40 seems like a good price.
    What sources other than TAP offer it for less when the normal price is about
    $200?
    Of course that is an option some Dell owners have.
    They can choose.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 20, 2005
  5. Thats exactly what I say. :)

    Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005
  6. "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    > Intels representative on earth - Dell Inc, will charge you a staggering
    > $40 for upgrading your copy of Windows XP 32-bit to Windows XP 64-bit, it
    > has emerged. That compares to around $12 or so the Vole is charging if you
    > take up its offer to upgrade - caveats compris.
    >
    > Dell describes this "upgrade" on its web site as the "technology
    > advancement" programme and of course this soon-to-be-famous scheme is only
    > for people who find themselves in possession of a Dell PC which has an
    > Intel chip which supports "EM64T".
    >
    > Read the rest here:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&DN=1092409&l=en&s=gen

    There is a difference between the TAP program directly offered by us
    (Microsoft) and the one offered by Dell.
    With our program you are swapping out your potentially OEM license for a
    generic Windows XP Professional x64 Edition CD and also loosing any further
    support for your PC from your OEM.
    With the Dell offer you may be getting a full Dell OEM recovery CD image
    install - this is a custom CD image specifically built for their PCs and
    containing all the drivers and associated software that Dell would ship on a
    preinstalled PC. They also continue the support warrantee for their PC and
    OEM opertaing system and applications. This is all a non trivial effort for
    a limited number of customers so in fact $40 may be seen as a totally
    reasonable amount fo money for an new 64-bit operating system and all of the
    above.
    contant Dell for full details of hte contents of ther TAP media etc.
    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 21, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa

    Soma11 Guest

    It may be fair if Dell has carefully selected appropriate drivers for the
    systems it builds. If so, it will save you the trouble of hunting the
    peripheral manufactures sites for necessary drivers.

    Soma11, May 21, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa, May 21, 2005