Dell to Sell Linux desktops in Europe

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true

    Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

    By Online Staff
    July 7, 2004

    Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
    in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
    release.

    The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
    of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include
    its technical support.

    Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
    businesses, schools and consumers.

    "By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
    Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our
    customers," said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.

    All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
    version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
    processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file
    compatibility with Microsoft Office.

    Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
    statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range
    of affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of
    add-on software for all their application needs."

    The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
    with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

    steve, Jul 7, 2004

  2. steve

    Divine Guest

    Divine, Jul 7, 2004

  3. In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine <> was seen to type:
    >On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true
    >>
    >> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

    >Nice!

    Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 7, 2004
  4. steve

    Orange Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true
    >
    > Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe
    >
    > By Online Staff
    > July 7, 2004
    >
    > Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
    > in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
    > release.
    >
    > The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
    > of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include its
    > technical support.
    >
    > Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
    > businesses, schools and consumers.
    >
    > "By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
    > Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our customers,"
    > said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.
    >
    > All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
    > version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
    > processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file compatibility
    > with Microsoft Office.
    >
    > Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
    > statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range of
    > affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of add-on
    > software for all their application needs."
    >
    > The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
    > with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

    This story isn't 100% correct. Questar are buying Dell PC's, blowing away
    Windows and installing Linux. It's not a Dell initiative so Dell won't
    provide OS support but will continue to honour the hardware warranty. Dell
    issued a press release on this yesterday I think.

    Orange, Jul 7, 2004
  5. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:30:54 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine
    > <> was seen to type:
    >>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true
    >>>
    >>> Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe

    >>Nice!

    > Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

    Yeah! And on their servers too!

    I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
    be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
    compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 7, 2004
  6. steve

    theseus Guest

    "Orange" <> wrote in message
    > "steve" <> wrote in message

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true

    > > Dell to ship Linux desktops to Europe
    > >
    > > By Online Staff
    > > July 7, 2004
    > >
    > > Dell Computers will sell its first line of Linux-based desktop computers
    > > in Europe through its partnership with Questar, according to a media
    > > release.
    > >
    > > The workstations, installed with the English or Italian-language version
    > > of Linspire 4.5 operating system, will be shipped by Dell and include

    its
    > > technical support.
    > >
    > > Starting at about $US575 ($805), the systems will be targeted at
    > > businesses, schools and consumers.
    > >
    > > "By joining forces, we're both able to forge new commercial frontiers in
    > > Europe and offer top-value Linux solutions and support to our

    customers,"
    > > said David Orban, chief executive officer of Questar.
    > >
    > > All Dell computers sold by Questar will be equipped with the latest
    > > version of Linspire and include the OpenOffice suite complete with word
    > > processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software and file

    compatibility
    > > with Microsoft Office.
    > >
    > > Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows, Inc. said in a
    > > statement, "Computer users now have a quality Linux solution - a range

    of
    > > affordable computers with full hardware support and a selection of

    add-on
    > > software for all their application needs."
    > >
    > > The Dell Optiplex comes with 256MB DDR RAM, a 40GB HD and can be ordered
    > > with or without a 15-inch flat panel LCD monitor.

    > This story isn't 100% correct. Questar are buying Dell PC's, blowing away
    > Windows and installing Linux. It's not a Dell initiative so Dell won't
    > provide OS support but will continue to honour the hardware warranty. Dell
    > issued a press release on this yesterday I think.

    Dell aren't supplying any Microsoft software with this hardware, where did
    you read that ?

    theseus, Jul 8, 2004
  7. steve

    steve Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
    > be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
    > compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Differences between distros make that hard.

    If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.

    They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from source
    from the ground up. :)

    steve, Jul 8, 2004
  8. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 10:25:22 +0000, steve wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >
    >> I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It
    >> would be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and
    >> Linux compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do
    >> here.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Anton

    > Differences between distros make that hard.
    >
    > If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.
    >
    > They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from
    > source from the ground up. :)

    I wasn't asking for support - just that the hardware they put in there has
    been tested to actually work under Linux (natively). Getting it working in
    distro x would still be up to the customer.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 8, 2004
  9. steve

    theseus Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:30:54 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    > > In article <pan.2004.07.07.10.13.09.377494@TRACKER>, Divine
    > > <> was seen to type:
    > >>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:04 +1200, steve wrote:

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/07/1089000198651.html?oneclick=true

    > >>Nice!

    > > Now they just need to have the option of AMD processors :)

    > Yeah! And on their servers too!
    >
    > I don't see the big deal about Linux being preinstalled by OEMs. It would
    > be far better to have a (admittedly small) discount for no OS, and Linux
    > compatibility on the hardware ensured. A little bit like DSE do here.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    In the related news articles, its pointed out that Dell sell a line of PCs
    without an operating system loaded, but because they are contractually
    obliged to supply an operating system with each PC they include a copy of
    freedos.
    The choice of Linspire is ideal, Lindows get to make sure that their distro
    supports the Dell hardware and provide support.
    If you install a Linspire preloaded HD into a Dell box (or any other), the
    hardware detection all works and its ready to go on boot.
    Those Linspire HDs probably have an internal Dell part number.

    theseus, Jul 8, 2004
  10. steve wrote:
    > If they sell a pre-load, then they can support the preload.
    > They can't support "Linux from Scratch" that you rolled yourself from source
    > from the ground up. :)

    Chances are, if you rolled yourself from source, you will not need help
    from DSE, and you will know the right places to go.

    This is not a certainty, but those that I know that roll their own
    certainly wouldn't be asking a DSE salesperson for help.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2004