    1. Advertising

  2. Mutlley

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, May 2, 2007

  3. Mutlley

    Miguel Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:11:26 -0700, peterwn wrote:

    > But buyers will no doubt have to pay the Microsoft tax, since it is
    > levied on total units sold, not just those with Windows loaded.

    Hello peterwn...Don't quite understand what you mean. (Apologies for
    the ignorance :)

    On the Dell NZ website it says (for example):

    Essential 1501 Basic Entry-Level Notebook
    Outstanding entry-level value for day-to-day tasks
    Available with Genuine Windows VistaTM or Genuine Windows® XP

    ....and then gives the price of NZ$1,048.00

    What's to stop Dell offering the same laptop with the same blurb except
    saying "Available with Ubuntu 7.04" then giving the price of (again for
    example) NZ$998.00

    Regards
    Miguel

    Hmmmm....just had a thought. What could stop Dell is MicroSoft telling
    them what to do.

    Miguel, May 2, 2007
  4. Mutlley

    Chris Hope Guest

    Miguel wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:11:26 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    >

    >> But buyers will no doubt have to pay the Microsoft tax, since it is
    >> levied on total units sold, not just those with Windows loaded.

    > Hello peterwn...Don't quite understand what you mean. (Apologies for
    > the ignorance :)
    >
    > On the Dell NZ website it says (for example):
    >
    > Essential 1501 Basic Entry-Level Notebook
    > Outstanding entry-level value for day-to-day tasks
    > Available with Genuine Windows VistaTM or Genuine Windows® XP
    >
    > ...and then gives the price of NZ$1,048.00
    >
    > What's to stop Dell offering the same laptop with the same blurb
    > except saying "Available with Ubuntu 7.04" then giving the price of
    > (again for example) NZ$998.00
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel
    >
    > Hmmmm....just had a thought. What could stop Dell is MicroSoft telling
    > them what to do.

    I would assume they'd charge the same amount because they (and MS) don't
    want people to know how much they're giving to MS for each computer
    sold. They also wouldn't be wanting to disclose this to their
    competitors. Having said that, and having bought several servers from
    them, the configurable server options never have an OS included so you
    can see exactly how much you're paying for Windows (or RedHat) on
    those, although again you wouldn't know how much Dell keep of that and
    how much goes to MS.

    Chris Hope, May 2, 2007

  5. >
    > What's to stop Dell offering the same laptop with the same blurb except
    > saying "Available with Ubuntu 7.04" then giving the price of (again for
    > example) NZ$998.00

    As with all laptop which they put ubuntu on, they have to make sure it is
    compatible with all the hardware (sound/video/ethernet/usb/etc). Putting
    Ubuntu on the machine which doesn't support the hardware on it is wrong. So
    a lot of testing.

    + other reasons

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, May 2, 2007
  6. Mutlley

    peterwn Guest

    On May 2, 8:12 pm, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:
    > > What's to stop Dell offering the same laptop with the same blurb except
    > > saying "Available with Ubuntu 7.04" then giving the price of (again for
    > > example) NZ$998.00

    > As with all laptop which they put ubuntu on, they have to make sure it is
    > compatible with all the hardware (sound/video/ethernet/usb/etc). Putting
    > Ubuntu on the machine which doesn't support the hardware on it is wrong. So
    > a lot of testing.
    >
    > + other reasons

    It is not testing so much as building up the hardware using items
    known to be Linux compatible. Dell can readily verify the status of
    each proposed hardware item either from the manufacturer or doing web
    searches. Agreed it is 'testing' when one chucks a Linux CD into a
    laptop or other computer and see whether it works.

    peterwn, May 2, 2007
  7. Mutlley

    peterwn Guest

    On May 2, 7:44 pm, Miguel <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:11:26 -0700, peterwn wrote:
    >
    > Hmmmm....just had a thought. What could stop Dell is MicroSoft telling
    > them what to do.

    You have the right idea!

    IMO a major issue for Dell is releasing itself from Microsoft
    thralls. There is such an enormous concentration of power in
    Microsoft that Microsoft can call the shots for the whole PC market
    short of such blatant action that would make it a sitting duck for
    anti-competition action from governments.

    peterwn, May 2, 2007