Dell supporting non windows PCs

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Oct 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
    >
    >

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    "About time"?

    They've been supporting SuSE for more than two years. Before that, it was
    just Red Hat - since maybe 1999? It's been available as a tick-box option on
    servers for yonks, but only hit "prime time" a few years ago, when Ellison
    had a tilt at IBM with 9i on an Dell RH Cluster with EMC storage.

    Definitely after 1997, though - back then, you only had the option of a Dell
    Windows build (best binned immediately, IMHO) or no OS at all (you tended to
    find DOS or Win 3 on there, used for initial hardware testing and then not
    properly scrubbed.

    There have been a few swings and roundabouts with compulsory license
    shipping (MS T&Cs for cheapo OEM licenses) - not sure if you get to save
    your $12 or so for XP Home on a desktop. The saving is much more noticeable
    when you're comparing the Server line of OSes.

    Im - if you're going to post essentially "non core" news on a security
    froup, then it's worth checking that it's actually in any way, shape, or
    form /new/.. ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Imhotep

    Mike Jones Guest

    Mike Jones, Oct 5, 2005
    #3
  4. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Mike Jones wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
    >>
    >>

    >

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >>

    >
    > Umm you can buy a Dell PC without the OS, but
    > "Note: Dell does not support non-Dell installed operating systems."


    Well, they are a hardware company anyway. Plus, most tech supports sucks
    now-a-days anyway....at least it is a step in the right direction.

    Im
    Imhotep, Oct 5, 2005
    #4
  5. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Imhotep" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
    >>
    >>

    >

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > "About time"?
    >
    > They've been supporting SuSE for more than two years. Before that, it was
    > just Red Hat - since maybe 1999? It's been available as a tick-box option
    > on servers for yonks, but only hit "prime time" a few years ago, when
    > Ellison had a tilt at IBM with 9i on an Dell RH Cluster with EMC storage.
    >
    > Definitely after 1997, though - back then, you only had the option of a
    > Dell Windows build (best binned immediately, IMHO) or no OS at all (you
    > tended to find DOS or Win 3 on there, used for initial hardware testing
    > and then not properly scrubbed.
    >
    > There have been a few swings and roundabouts with compulsory license
    > shipping (MS T&Cs for cheapo OEM licenses) - not sure if you get to save
    > your $12 or so for XP Home on a desktop. The saving is much more
    > noticeable when you're comparing the Server line of OSes.
    >
    > Im - if you're going to post essentially "non core" news on a security
    > froup, then it's worth checking that it's actually in any way, shape, or
    > form /new/.. ;o)
    >


    Are you sure they have been offering that for a while? I tried to buy a pc
    from them about 2 years ago, and they insisted on Windows being installed.
    Could it be an Europe only deal (at the time).


    Im
    Imhotep, Oct 5, 2005
    #5
  6. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Winged, Oct 6, 2005
    #6
  7. Imhotep

    Moe Trin Guest

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, Imhotep wrote:

    >Hairy One Kenobi wrote:


    >> They've been supporting SuSE for more than two years. Before that, it was
    >> just Red Hat - since maybe 1999?


    >Are you sure they have been offering that for a while?


    "Google is your friend"

    Results 1 - 10 of 1,020 from Jan 1, 1997 to Oct 6,
    Searched all groups 2000 for Dell Linux available group:comp.os.linux.*
    (0.30 seconds)

    comp.os.linux.advocacy - May 26 1999, 10:39 am by bob - 1 message - 1 author
    Subject: news: Dell Broadens Linux Offering

    Factory-Installation Of Red Hat Linux 6.0 Expands to Europe, Planned
    for Asia-Pacific Region

    ROUND ROCK, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 26, 1999--Dell Computer Corporation
    (Nasdaq:DELL - news), the world's leading direct computer systems company,
    today announced several initiatives to broaden the availability to Dell
    customers, of products and information for the Linux operating system for
    Dell customers.


    Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, comp.os.linux.portable, comp.sys.laptops
    Dell's New Dimension: Offer Linux To The Masses
    By Charles Babcock, Inter@ctive Week
    August 9, 1999 3:58 AM PT
    URL: http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2310868,00.html

    Dell Computer is preparing to add Linux to its popular Dimension
    desktop PCs, which will put the world's largest PC hardware vendor in the
    position of offering Linux as a checkoff option alongside Microsoft's
    Windows 95, 98 and NT.

    Now, if you read between the lines, there was a heck of a lot of talk from
    Dull - how much actual performance is another question.

    >I tried to buy a pc from them about 2 years ago, and they insisted on
    >Windows being installed. Could it be an Europe only deal (at the time).


    As above. I know their sales weasels were offering it to corporate customers
    in 1999-2001. We've never bothered buying from Dell (or Gateway, or...) as
    we get better support from our local vendors. But then, I think everyone
    has heard _that_ song before.

    Old guy
    Moe Trin, Oct 6, 2005
    #7
  8. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    > <>, Imhotep wrote:
    >
    >>Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    >
    >>> They've been supporting SuSE for more than two years. Before that, it
    >>> was just Red Hat - since maybe 1999?

    >
    >>Are you sure they have been offering that for a while?

    >
    > "Google is your friend"
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of 1,020 from Jan 1, 1997 to Oct
    > 6,
    > Searched all groups 2000 for Dell Linux available
    > group:comp.os.linux.*
    > (0.30
    > seconds)
    >
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy - May 26 1999, 10:39 am by bob - 1 message - 1
    > author
    > Subject: news: Dell Broadens Linux Offering
    >
    > Factory-Installation Of Red Hat Linux 6.0 Expands to Europe, Planned
    > for Asia-Pacific Region
    >
    > ROUND ROCK, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 26, 1999--Dell Computer
    > Corporation (Nasdaq:DELL - news), the world's leading direct computer
    > systems company, today announced several initiatives to broaden the
    > availability to Dell customers, of products and information for the
    > Linux operating system for Dell customers.
    >
    >
    > Newsgroups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, comp.os.linux.portable,
    > comp.sys.laptops
    > Dell's New Dimension: Offer Linux To The Masses
    > By Charles Babcock, Inter@ctive Week
    > August 9, 1999 3:58 AM PT
    > URL: http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2310868,00.html
    >
    > Dell Computer is preparing to add Linux to its popular Dimension
    > desktop PCs, which will put the world's largest PC hardware vendor in
    > the position of offering Linux as a checkoff option alongside
    > Microsoft's Windows 95, 98 and NT.
    >
    > Now, if you read between the lines, there was a heck of a lot of talk from
    > Dull - how much actual performance is another question.
    >
    >>I tried to buy a pc from them about 2 years ago, and they insisted on
    >>Windows being installed. Could it be an Europe only deal (at the time).

    >
    > As above. I know their sales weasels were offering it to corporate
    > customers in 1999-2001. We've never bothered buying from Dell (or Gateway,
    > or...) as we get better support from our local vendors. But then, I think
    > everyone has heard _that_ song before.
    >
    > Old guy



    Thanks for the info!

    Michael
    Imhotep, Oct 7, 2005
    #8
  9. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Management, Oct 7, 2005
    #9
  10. "Management" <> wrote in message
    news:4346ea80$0$49017$...
    > Imhotep wrote:
    > > About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
    > >
    > >

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    > >
    > > Imhotep

    >
    > Before anyone does too much in the way of celebrating it might be
    > education to take read of this.
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/07/dell_linux_tough/
    >
    > Poor old Dell trying to face two ways!


    Interesting.. although a little cheeky of the "prospect" to request
    something that has never been offered. As though I don't believe for one
    minute that someone would buy 150 PCs on the off-chance.. ;o)

    Strikes me as a little contrived, so I used a little non-Californian
    know-how... not searching for a fabled system code, but by clicking on the
    bloody obvious.

    1. Click on dell.co.uk
    2. Click on "small business"
    3. Click on "servers"
    4. Click on "value servers"
    5. Click on first random server offered by Dell (after all, if they're the
    latest satrapy of the Evil Empire, then they're going to do their best to
    sell MS product, yes?)
    6. "Customise & Buy"
    7. "SCSI" (it was first in the list). Growl. When I was looking after EMEA
    website development proggers back in '97, you wouldn't have had such a
    pointless step in the buying process. You'd have been offered it in the
    config pages.
    8. Select which version of Windows, SuSE, or Red Hat you desire.

    Eff. You. Dee.

    Spells "FUD".

    Oh course, the *really* annoying thing is that such simplistic - and /so/
    easily debunked - bullshit actually goes against the FUDer's very intention.
    I'd welcome a more balanced market - even if "all" if does is lead to a chop
    in Windows' license costs.

    Took me around 40 seconds to disprove (I'm a slow typist, clicking on one
    screen while typing this post on t'other). There *are* actual proper
    arguments against Windows. Once the ideologues dump the religion and use
    facts, they might get somewhere. Although I'd hold out for
    massively-parallel multi-cell optical processing on a nano scale as
    something that'll come first. Perhaps even in my lifetime ;o)

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
    in the first place. So there!
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 8, 2005
    #10
  11. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > "Management" <> wrote in message
    > news:4346ea80$0$49017$...
    >
    >>Imhotep wrote:
    >>
    >>>About time. Personally, I am sick and tired of paying the MS 'tax'...
    >>>
    >>>

    >
    > http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    >>>Imhotep

    >>
    >>Before anyone does too much in the way of celebrating it might be
    >>education to take read of this.
    >>
    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/07/dell_linux_tough/
    >>
    >>Poor old Dell trying to face two ways!

    >
    >
    > Interesting.. although a little cheeky of the "prospect" to request
    > something that has never been offered. As though I don't believe for one
    > minute that someone would buy 150 PCs on the off-chance.. ;o)
    >
    > Strikes me as a little contrived, so I used a little non-Californian
    > know-how... not searching for a fabled system code, but by clicking on the
    > bloody obvious.
    >
    > 1. Click on dell.co.uk
    > 2. Click on "small business"
    > 3. Click on "servers"
    > 4. Click on "value servers"
    > 5. Click on first random server offered by Dell (after all, if they're the
    > latest satrapy of the Evil Empire, then they're going to do their best to
    > sell MS product, yes?)
    > 6. "Customise & Buy"
    > 7. "SCSI" (it was first in the list). Growl. When I was looking after EMEA
    > website development proggers back in '97, you wouldn't have had such a
    > pointless step in the buying process. You'd have been offered it in the
    > config pages.
    > 8. Select which version of Windows, SuSE, or Red Hat you desire.
    >
    > Eff. You. Dee.
    >
    > Spells "FUD".
    >
    > Oh course, the *really* annoying thing is that such simplistic - and /so/
    > easily debunked - bullshit actually goes against the FUDer's very intention.
    > I'd welcome a more balanced market - even if "all" if does is lead to a chop
    > in Windows' license costs.
    >
    > Took me around 40 seconds to disprove (I'm a slow typist, clicking on one
    > screen while typing this post on t'other). There *are* actual proper
    > arguments against Windows. Once the ideologues dump the religion and use
    > facts, they might get somewhere. Although I'd hold out for
    > massively-parallel multi-cell optical processing on a nano scale as
    > something that'll come first. Perhaps even in my lifetime ;o)
    >

    Dunno, just make scripts run faster....I am already having a time
    keeping up...Then there is that user who claims to know nothing that
    will bring in that lovely joke and share it spreading that Trojan in
    parallel...Though probably no worse than an Active Directory virus in a
    winX domain.

    Winged
    Winged, Oct 13, 2005
    #11
  12. "Winged" <> wrote in message
    news:33646$434da6c8$18d6d959$...
    > Hairy One Kenobi wrote:


    <snip>

    > > Took me around 40 seconds to disprove (I'm a slow typist, clicking on

    one
    > > screen while typing this post on t'other). There *are* actual proper
    > > arguments against Windows. Once the ideologues dump the religion and use
    > > facts, they might get somewhere. Although I'd hold out for
    > > massively-parallel multi-cell optical processing on a nano scale as
    > > something that'll come first. Perhaps even in my lifetime ;o)
    > >

    > Dunno, just make scripts run faster....I am already having a time
    > keeping up...Then there is that user who claims to know nothing that
    > will bring in that lovely joke and share it spreading that Trojan in
    > parallel...Though probably no worse than an Active Directory virus in a
    > winX domain.


    Funnily enough, I heard a comment on the radio just last week about Moore's
    Law - something along the lines of software running 6 times faster than at
    PARC in 1974, but on hardware that runs 6000 times faster - i.e. that there
    was a factor of 1000 loss in efficiency.

    No idea whatsoever about the provenance of the figures - first time that
    I've hard someone try to put a figure on it.

    I'd guess that they were talking about the WIMP stuff that was eventually
    released in Apple's Lisa, compared to something like XP's Fisher Price
    interface (I missed the actual programme)

    H1K
    Hairy One Kenobi, Oct 13, 2005
    #12
  13. Imhotep

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
    > XP's Fisher Price interface
    > H1K
    >
    >


    Love it :)

    Add to that Windoze 2003 Server, various Windoze networking tools,
    Windoze security, etc, etc and what have you got?

    A Fisher Price Enterprise IT system :-D

    I remain totally gob-smacked how many Enterprises are falling for it...

    Steve
    Steve Welsh, Oct 13, 2005
    #13
  14. Imhotep

    Management Guest

    Management, Oct 14, 2005
    #14
  15. Imhotep

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Management wrote:
    > Steve Welsh wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>
    >> A Fisher Price Enterprise IT system :-D
    >>
    >> I remain totally gob-smacked how many Enterprises are falling for it...
    >>
    >> Steve

    >
    >
    > Maybe less are falling:
    >
    > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=200510131525041
    >
    >
    > Charlie.
    >


    I hope so!
    Steve Welsh, Oct 15, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andy

    Car PCs, mini PCs run Linux and windowsXP

    Andy, Jan 27, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    430
  2. Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\)

    Fujitsu Siemens Computers supporting Microsoft's Windows x64 operating systems

    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Jul 24, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    381
    Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\)
    Jul 24, 2005
  3. akiwi
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    822
    FreedomChooser
    Jul 3, 2005
  4. Andy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    578
  5. darkknight

    Dell PCs; Dell securedata

    darkknight, Nov 18, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    360
    darkknight
    Nov 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page