Dell strikes again.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think
    there is something more than the HD with problems.
    Calling Dell on the weekend I guess is a fruitless deed.
    To be specific it just asks to hit f1 to reboot, nothing happens.
    Keeps repeating.
    I took a look inside in case the video card or something was loose but
    it is not like it even has a video card. nothing except the ram looks
    anything like my machine.
    I guess I will have to wait til Monday.
    It is for my Daughter when school starts and this is a pain. I had the
    machine on my work room table when the guy came and when I went to the
    web page today with my case number etc, it said I was not home user or
    something like that. I wonder if the creep who did not check anything
    said because he saw a computer on its side in a work space that I
    should be changed to a business acct. I just want to get it set up in
    time for the new school year.
    To refresh, It is a 2.3 gig dimension. Home xp if it will work. What
    the ^%^#$# else could be wrong. It worked fine for a few days, then
    when left on all night it started acting up. Hit f1 hit f1. NaSa.
    I love my machine I built myself. Not a problem. Knock on wood. <G>



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. joevan

    philo Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    > hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    > machine until today Sat.


    <snip>

    unless you have the tech. demonstrate to you that the machine is working
    when they are done...
    you are at least partially to blame
    philo, Aug 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:15:38 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    >
    >"joevan" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    >> hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    >> machine until today Sat.

    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >unless you have the tech. demonstrate to you that the machine is working
    >when they are done...
    >you are at least partially to blame
    >

    yeah I spect you be raht, but they still have to make it right. It is
    still under warranty. Darn, it next time he will set it up.



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 20, 2005
    #3
  4. joevan

    philo Guest

    <snip>
    > >
    > >unless you have the tech. demonstrate to you that the machine is working
    > >when they are done...
    > >you are at least partially to blame
    > >

    > yeah I spect you be raht, but they still have to make it right. It is
    > still under warranty. Darn, it next time he will set it up.
    >



    yep...
    philo, Aug 20, 2005
    #4
  5. joevan

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:12:00 GMT, joevan <> wrote:

    >The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    >hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    >machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think
    >there is something more than the HD with problems.
    >Calling Dell on the weekend I guess is a fruitless deed.
    >To be specific it just asks to hit f1 to reboot, nothing happens.
    >Keeps repeating.
    >I took a look inside in case the video card or something was loose but
    >it is not like it even has a video card. nothing except the ram looks
    >anything like my machine.
    >I guess I will have to wait til Monday.
    >It is for my Daughter when school starts and this is a pain. I had the
    >machine on my work room table when the guy came and when I went to the
    >web page today with my case number etc, it said I was not home user or
    >something like that. I wonder if the creep who did not check anything
    >said because he saw a computer on its side in a work space that I
    >should be changed to a business acct. I just want to get it set up in
    >time for the new school year.
    >To refresh, It is a 2.3 gig dimension. Home xp if it will work. What
    >the ^%^#$# else could be wrong. It worked fine for a few days, then
    >when left on all night it started acting up. Hit f1 hit f1. NaSa.
    >I love my machine I built myself. Not a problem. Knock on wood. <G>


    What led to the problem being (mis)diagnosed as the hard drive in the first place?
    You built your own machine, but you don't know what the loose card is?
    Dimension.... 2400, 4600?
    There is exactly one piece of information on a Dell machine that will immediately tell anyone familiar with them the
    exact details of the machine, the service tag.
    Harrison, Aug 20, 2005
    #5
  6. joevan

    Viruschecker Guest

    joevan wrote:

    > The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    > hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    > machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think

    <snip>

    When a Dell tech (note: they are not employed by Dell but are
    independent contractors) installs a new HD it is blank. You will have to
    use your system restore cd to reinstall the operating system and
    programs. I used to do this for Dell under contract. It was flat rate
    work so the idea was to get in and out as fast as possible hence the 5
    minute call.
    Viruschecker, Aug 20, 2005
    #6
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 15:44:29 -0700, Viruschecker <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    > > The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    > > hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    > > machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think

    ><snip>
    >
    >When a Dell tech (note: they are not employed by Dell but are
    >independent contractors) installs a new HD it is blank. You will have to
    >use your system restore cd to reinstall the operating system and
    >programs. I used to do this for Dell under contract. It was flat rate
    >work so the idea was to get in and out as fast as possible hence the 5
    >minute call.

    Not entirely true, they told me on the phone that the hd came with
    full install. So did the service person. There is something else not
    right.




    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #7
  8. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:35:10 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:12:00 GMT, joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    >>hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    >>machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think
    >>there is something more than the HD with problems.
    >>Calling Dell on the weekend I guess is a fruitless deed.
    >>To be specific it just asks to hit f1 to reboot, nothing happens.
    >>Keeps repeating.
    >>I took a look inside in case the video card or something was loose but
    >>it is not like it even has a video card. nothing except the ram looks
    >>anything like my machine.
    >>I guess I will have to wait til Monday.
    >>It is for my Daughter when school starts and this is a pain. I had the
    >>machine on my work room table when the guy came and when I went to the
    >>web page today with my case number etc, it said I was not home user or
    >>something like that. I wonder if the creep who did not check anything
    >>said because he saw a computer on its side in a work space that I
    >>should be changed to a business acct. I just want to get it set up in
    >>time for the new school year.
    >>To refresh, It is a 2.3 gig dimension. Home xp if it will work. What
    >>the ^%^#$# else could be wrong. It worked fine for a few days, then
    >>when left on all night it started acting up. Hit f1 hit f1. NaSa.
    >>I love my machine I built myself. Not a problem. Knock on wood. <G>

    >
    >What led to the problem being (mis)diagnosed as the hard drive in the first place?
    >You built your own machine, but you don't know what the loose card is?
    >Dimension.... 2400, 4600?
    >There is exactly one piece of information on a Dell machine that will immediately tell anyone familiar with them the
    >exact details of the machine, the service tag.

    The machine I built is fine. No problems other than a blown power
    supply which new egg sent a new one without question. Up and running
    in a few days.
    The dell I bought for my Daughter. It is to be her back to school
    gift.
    Now when a last week when I first set it up it worked just fine. That
    is after I got rid of AOL garbage. It worked for a few days and then I
    left it on overnight and the next day it would not boot, kept asking
    for f1. hit f1. Tried different things and then called dell and they
    said the hard drive was bad. Sent quickie and replaced the hard drive
    with xp installed, only the same prob, hit f1. I have to wait till
    Monday and when the person returns, this time they are going to boot
    it up until I see it working.
    I never wanted dell but this one was a good deal. That is it will be
    once they get it working. I wonder if the MB is bad. That other disk
    he took with him. I will let dell know about that too.
    Ahhhhhh, should, coulda, wooda. Agggghh.
    And the people at dell say they are technicians.



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #8
  9. joevan

    Viruschecker Guest

    joevan wrote:


    > Not entirely true, they told me on the phone that the hd came with
    > full install. So did the service person. There is something else not
    > right.



    OK, it's been a couple of years since I did any work for them (they
    don't offer competitive compensation). Sounds like you'll have to run
    the Dell support gauntlet again and have them look at the problem again
    if it's not the HD. The techs that come to your place are not allowed to
    diagnose (incredible!). I was sent out to the same place three times
    with different parts to fix a problem when I knew what was needed after
    the first visit. Now I didn't really care since they paid for each visit
    but you might want to see if you can get bumped up to the second tier
    support where you have a slightly better chance of talking to someone
    that might know what they're doing. Good Luck!
    Viruschecker, Aug 21, 2005
    #9
  10. joevan

    johnny o Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:35:10 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:12:00 GMT, joevan <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    >>>hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    >>>machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think
    >>>there is something more than the HD with problems.
    >>>Calling Dell on the weekend I guess is a fruitless deed.
    >>>To be specific it just asks to hit f1 to reboot, nothing happens.
    >>>Keeps repeating.
    >>>I took a look inside in case the video card or something was loose
    >>>but
    >>>it is not like it even has a video card. nothing except the ram looks
    >>>anything like my machine.
    >>>I guess I will have to wait til Monday.
    >>>It is for my Daughter when school starts and this is a pain. I had
    >>>the
    >>>machine on my work room table when the guy came and when I went to
    >>>the
    >>>web page today with my case number etc, it said I was not home user
    >>>or
    >>>something like that. I wonder if the creep who did not check anything
    >>>said because he saw a computer on its side in a work space that I
    >>>should be changed to a business acct. I just want to get it set up
    >>>in
    >>>time for the new school year.
    >>>To refresh, It is a 2.3 gig dimension. Home xp if it will work. What
    >>>the ^%^#$# else could be wrong. It worked fine for a few days, then
    >>>when left on all night it started acting up. Hit f1 hit f1. NaSa.
    >>>I love my machine I built myself. Not a problem. Knock on wood. <G>

    >>
    >>What led to the problem being (mis)diagnosed as the hard drive in the
    >>first place?
    >>You built your own machine, but you don't know what the loose card is?
    >>Dimension.... 2400, 4600?
    >>There is exactly one piece of information on a Dell machine that will
    >>immediately tell anyone familiar with them the
    >>exact details of the machine, the service tag.

    > The machine I built is fine. No problems other than a blown power
    > supply which new egg sent a new one without question. Up and running
    > in a few days.
    > The dell I bought for my Daughter. It is to be her back to school
    > gift.
    > Now when a last week when I first set it up it worked just fine. That
    > is after I got rid of AOL garbage. It worked for a few days and then I
    > left it on overnight and the next day it would not boot, kept asking
    > for f1. hit f1. Tried different things and then called dell and they
    > said the hard drive was bad. Sent quickie and replaced the hard drive
    > with xp installed, only the same prob, hit f1. I have to wait till
    > Monday and when the person returns, this time they are going to boot
    > it up until I see it working.
    > I never wanted dell but this one was a good deal. That is it will be
    > once they get it working. I wonder if the MB is bad. That other disk
    > he took with him. I will let dell know about that too.
    > Ahhhhhh, should, coulda, wooda. Agggghh.
    > And the people at dell say they are technicians.


    I can't bleeve he got away with leaving in five minutes. It is HIS
    responsibility to make sure it boots right. If I am understanding you
    right, it is not MB. If I am also understanding you, when you start up
    it goes to dos screen telling you to f1? If so, don't let it get to the
    screen that says hit f1. Try going from the f1 dos page and pressing
    the button to turn it off and keep it pressed for 15 seconds. Then let
    it go and start again. As soon as you see any form of life (split
    second probly) press cntrl button and keep it pressed. This might let
    you arrive at another dos screen. Try some of the options.
    johnny
    johnny o, Aug 21, 2005
    #10
  11. joevan

    Render Me Guest

    and you say you built a pc????
    Did you try booting from a floppy disk???

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:35:10 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:12:00 GMT, joevan <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>The service person came on Wednesday I believe it was. Replaced the
    >>>hard drive and was gone in 5 minutes. I held off reconnecting the
    >>>machine until today Sat. Same thing happened, which makes me think
    >>>there is something more than the HD with problems.
    >>>Calling Dell on the weekend I guess is a fruitless deed.
    >>>To be specific it just asks to hit f1 to reboot, nothing happens.
    >>>Keeps repeating.
    >>>I took a look inside in case the video card or something was loose but
    >>>it is not like it even has a video card. nothing except the ram looks
    >>>anything like my machine.
    >>>I guess I will have to wait til Monday.
    >>>It is for my Daughter when school starts and this is a pain. I had the
    >>>machine on my work room table when the guy came and when I went to the
    >>>web page today with my case number etc, it said I was not home user or
    >>>something like that. I wonder if the creep who did not check anything
    >>>said because he saw a computer on its side in a work space that I
    >>>should be changed to a business acct. I just want to get it set up in
    >>>time for the new school year.
    >>>To refresh, It is a 2.3 gig dimension. Home xp if it will work. What
    >>>the ^%^#$# else could be wrong. It worked fine for a few days, then
    >>>when left on all night it started acting up. Hit f1 hit f1. NaSa.
    >>>I love my machine I built myself. Not a problem. Knock on wood. <G>

    >>
    >>What led to the problem being (mis)diagnosed as the hard drive in the
    >>first place?
    >>You built your own machine, but you don't know what the loose card is?
    >>Dimension.... 2400, 4600?
    >>There is exactly one piece of information on a Dell machine that will
    >>immediately tell anyone familiar with them the
    >>exact details of the machine, the service tag.

    > The machine I built is fine. No problems other than a blown power
    > supply which new egg sent a new one without question. Up and running
    > in a few days.
    > The dell I bought for my Daughter. It is to be her back to school
    > gift.
    > Now when a last week when I first set it up it worked just fine. That
    > is after I got rid of AOL garbage. It worked for a few days and then I
    > left it on overnight and the next day it would not boot, kept asking
    > for f1. hit f1. Tried different things and then called dell and they
    > said the hard drive was bad. Sent quickie and replaced the hard drive
    > with xp installed, only the same prob, hit f1. I have to wait till
    > Monday and when the person returns, this time they are going to boot
    > it up until I see it working.
    > I never wanted dell but this one was a good deal. That is it will be
    > once they get it working. I wonder if the MB is bad. That other disk
    > he took with him. I will let dell know about that too.
    > Ahhhhhh, should, coulda, wooda. Agggghh.
    > And the people at dell say they are technicians.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    > and for the same reason."
    Render Me, Aug 21, 2005
    #11
  12. joevan

    elaich Guest

    joevan <> wrote in
    news::

    > It worked for a few days and then I
    > left it on overnight and the next day it would not boot, kept asking
    > for f1.


    Left it on all night... and was it connected to the Internet all night via
    broadband without a firewall? You probably have 40leven viruses.
    elaich, Aug 21, 2005
    #12
  13. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 21 Aug 2005 08:33:33 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    >joevan <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> It worked for a few days and then I
    >> left it on overnight and the next day it would not boot, kept asking
    >> for f1.

    >
    >Left it on all night... and was it connected to the Internet all night via
    >broadband without a firewall? You probably have 40leven viruses.

    Not on.. I use a dialer and always disconnect when away from the
    machine. And besides the damn thing had a virus scan and firewall and
    I had just updated all. Including spybot etc. So you be wrong about
    the virus but something is not right. And they gotta fix it. I think
    what Virus checker said about getting to a higher level of
    intelligence might hep. Most here don got too much.



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #13
  14. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:37:39 -0400, "Render Me"
    <> wrote:

    >and you say you built a pc????
    >Did you try booting from a floppy disk???

    Hey come on guy, what the heck you trying to do start a war.
    The gd thing did not come with a floppy disk and I am not going to
    install anything until they get it working again. It worked fine the
    first few days. Then nada. Read the other posts maybe you will then
    know how to respond.
    Yes I built my own pc. It has a floppy, it has a dvd burner and a cd
    burner and yes they all work fine. I run xp pro, use broadband and my
    daughter who is going on 15 uses it and we keep it working just fine.
    I insist she update vs, spybot, sb, etc.
    Your opening seems to suggest just what? Have you compared the newer
    dells over what I have. You really should not post unless you are an
    expert on the new stuff. The monitor plugs into a port and on the
    other side of the plug is not a card. I don't know what it is other
    than some integrated system that I have never seen before. Prolly I
    can envision the configuration in a laptop maybe. Never been there and
    don't intend to.



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #14
  15. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:37:39 -0400, "Render Me"
    <> wrote:

    >and you say you built a pc????
    >Did you try booting from a floppy disk???
    >

    Sorry I wasted my time with you. After reading the 5 or 6 posts you
    made recently I percieve you as a smart ass. Troll?



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #15
  16. joevan

    joevan Guest

    joevan, <> wrote:


    > I run xp pro, use broadband and my
    > daughter who is going on 15 uses it


    PS: She sucks cock and swallows.
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #16
  17. joevan

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:24:47 GMT, joevan <> wrote:

    >The monitor plugs into a port and on the
    >other side of the plug is not a card. I don't know what it is other
    >than some integrated system that I have never seen before.


    snort!
    Harrison, Aug 21, 2005
    #17
  18. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:40:53 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:24:47 GMT, joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>The monitor plugs into a port and on the
    >>other side of the plug is not a card. I don't know what it is other
    >>than some integrated system that I have never seen before.

    >
    >snort!

    Neigh,



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #18
  19. joevan

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:57:58 GMT, joevan <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:40:53 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:24:47 GMT, joevan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The monitor plugs into a port and on the
    >>>other side of the plug is not a card. I don't know what it is other
    >>>than some integrated system that I have never seen before.

    >>
    >>snort!

    >Neigh,

    Whiiny,

    If you are serious, which I strongly doubt at this point, did you check to see if the drive was formatted and loaded
    with Windows, as someone else suggested?
    Harrison, Aug 21, 2005
    #19
  20. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:11:31 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:57:58 GMT, joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:40:53 -0400, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:24:47 GMT, joevan <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>The monitor plugs into a port and on the
    >>>>other side of the plug is not a card. I don't know what it is other
    >>>>than some integrated system that I have never seen before.
    >>>
    >>>snort!

    >>Neigh,

    >Whiiny,
    >
    >If you are serious, which I strongly doubt at this point, did you check to see if the drive was formatted and loaded
    >with Windows, as someone else suggested?

    If you are serious you would have read my other posts. Dell installed
    a loaded hard drive. That is what I was told and without a floppy
    drive my options are limited. I put a cd with windows on it in the
    drive and it went nowhere. Nada. Something is very wrong with this
    dell. I will call tomorrow as on the weekends it is basically
    hopeless.
    The runaround the big creeps give you. Whew.



    --
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, Aug 21, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kyler Laird

    Nufone strikes again...

    Kyler Laird, Jul 24, 2006, in forum: VOIP
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    467
    Jonathan Roberts
    Jul 24, 2006
  2. Annika1980

    FORGOTTEN 400 STRIKES AGAIN !!!

    Annika1980, Sep 2, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    400
    Annika1980
    Sep 2, 2004
  3. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)

    TSA strikes again

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 9, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    227
    Views:
    3,387
    Nikon User
    Dec 19, 2005
  4. Mike_P

    The Empire Strikes Again !

    Mike_P, Oct 29, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    758
    Bruce Sinclair
    Nov 2, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Orcon strikes again

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 10, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    44
    Views:
    995
Loading...

Share This Page