    However, it does seem expensive.

    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/dell-streak-available-for-pre-order-tomorrow-but-who-wants-it/9279>
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/dell-streak-will-it-sell/37881>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    Re: Dell Streak—Will It Sell?

    On Aug 12, 2:33 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > With its 5-inch screen, it’s in-between a smartphone and an iPad-type
    > device. I’ve heard an admission that the iPad gets heavy to carry after a
    > while; a smaller, lighter device might have appeal for that reason.
    >
    > However, it does seem expensive.
    >
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/dell-streak-available-for-pre-orde...>
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/dell-streak-will-it-sell/37881>

    Rod Drury seems to like it, even though at first he thought he
    wouldn't:

    http://blog.xero.com/2010/08/why-android-is-more-interesting/

    Granted, he isn't exactly a typical user with a typical budget
    though :)

    He even says this about Android:
    "I’m surprised by how much I’ve swung on this. I wasn’t interested in
    Android at all before. But now I get it. Apple’s control and app
    centric design don’t make sense anymore."

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Aug 12, 2010

  3. In message
    <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > He even says this about Android:
    > "I’m surprised by how much I’ve swung on this. I wasn’t interested in
    > Android at all before. But now I get it. Apple’s control and app
    > centric design don’t make sense anymore."

    That’s particularly interesting, because some are criticizing the Streak for
    running an old (1.6) version of Android.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, AD.
    wrote:

    > He even says this about Android:
    > "I’m surprised by how much I’ve swung on this. I wasn’t interested in
    > Android at all before. But now I get it. Apple’s control and app
    > centric design don’t make sense anymore."

    One fundamental difference between Apple’s i-devices and Android is that
    Apple’s products still have to be managed via iTunes on a PC. Android, on
    the other hand, allows for pure mobile devices that are able to operate
    independently of any PC.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 12, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > In message
    > <>, AD.
    > wrote:
    >
    >> He even says this about Android:
    >> "I’m surprised by how much I’ve swung on this. I wasn’t interested in
    >> Android at all before. But now I get it. Apple’s control and app
    >> centric design don’t make sense anymore."

    > One fundamental difference between Apple’s i-devices and Android is that
    > Apple’s products still have to be managed via iTunes on a PC. Android, on
    > the other hand, allows for pure mobile devices that are able to operate
    > independently of any PC.

    It's not really as much of a bug as it is a feature
    I quite like it like that for backing up app purchases, software
    upgrades, podcasts, audiobooks etc.

    victor, Aug 12, 2010
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    victor wrote:

    > It's not really as much of a bug as it is a feature
    > I quite like it like that for backing up app purchases, software
    > upgrades, podcasts, audiobooks etc.

    Why should it take 100s of megs of application on a PC to do that, when
    the device could just allow it by access as a mass storage device?

    iTunes is bloated limited crap as a music player, its video ability is
    almost non existant.

    Richard, Aug 12, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 13/08/2010 8:30 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> victor wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's not really as much of a bug as it is a feature
    >>> I quite like it like that for backing up app purchases, software
    >>> upgrades, podcasts, audiobooks etc.

    >> Why should it take 100s of megs of application on a PC to do that, when
    >> the device could just allow it by access as a mass storage device?
    >>
    >> iTunes is bloated limited crap as a music player, its video ability is
    >> almost non existant.

    > Yes - tying iDevices to iTunes is a pain. For one, it means you need to have
    > either a Mac or a Windows PC. iTunes won't work on any other operating
    > system. It also means if I'm travelling with my iPad and I buy a CD that I
    > want to rip to it, I can't unless I also have my iTunes computer with me.
    > That's quite a limitation.

    You can't rip cds with an android phone either, Or any other personal
    music player
    Having a PC that will run itunes is a requirement for an ipod, it might
    be a limitation for you, not for me, sucks to be you.
    For me I have plenty of accessories that use the dock, and essential
    combinations of apps and hardware like iAudioInterface and Audiotools
    which have no Android equivalent and probably never will

    victor, Aug 12, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 12/08/2010 9:49 p.m., Richard wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >
    >> It's not really as much of a bug as it is a feature
    >> I quite like it like that for backing up app purchases, software
    >> upgrades, podcasts, audiobooks etc.

    > Why should it take 100s of megs of application on a PC to do that, when
    > the device could just allow it by access as a mass storage device?
    >
    > iTunes is bloated limited crap as a music player, its video ability is
    > almost non existant.

    Cry me a river, most of your PC OS and applications sit there unused on
    your HD, what difference does itunes make ?
    You can easily access an ipod / iphone as a mass storage device, you
    still need some processing to be done on the PC. I run several different
    ipods, not all iOS devices, itunes is a bootloader, OS upgrader etc for
    all of them, its also a placeholder for podcasts and audiobooks across
    several ipods. I can plug in the ipod and watch a video from the same
    place on the PC or the ipod. All the functions could be separated out
    into separate utilities, but I don't see that as an advantage.
    You have a free choice use any application you like to play stuff on the
    PC, just like you can use different browsers.
    I'm completely indifferent to idiots that whine here publicly about how
    this sucks and they are dumping it and changing to that (yes you woger),
    big fucking deal, who cares, what a bunch of crybabies !

    victor, Aug 12, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 13/08/2010 11:01 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> Yes - tying iDevices to iTunes is a pain. For one, it means you need to
    >>> have either a Mac or a Windows PC. iTunes won't work on any other
    >>> operating system. It also means if I'm travelling with my iPad and I buy
    >>> a CD that I want to rip to it, I can't unless I also have my iTunes
    >>> computer with me. That's quite a limitation.

    >> You can't rip cds with an android phone either, Or any other personal
    >> music player

    > No you can't - but you can use any computer that can rip a CD. You don't
    > need to use *the exact* same computer that your particular iTunes software
    > is installed on. It makes it difficult to get music onto an i device when yo
    > don't have easy access to your particular iTunes computer.

    You can plug into any PC with itunes and drag and drop the file onto the
    ipod. I keep a copy of the itunes installer in the mass storage on the
    ipod along with some other useful stuff.
    It would be nice if it was more open and there was a portable apps
    version and a linux version.
    But there isn't and it still works.
    Apple has gone for a single application to manage all their devices so
    their average ipod user doesn't have to be an expert, its amazing to me
    that they have sold so many ipods and everyone is loading them by
    ripping their cds to itunes and connecting their ipods with USB.
    Up grading an Android device isn't as simple so far.

    victor, Aug 13, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 13/08/2010 9:40 p.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >>> No you can't - but you can use any computer that can rip a CD. You don't
    >>> need to use *the exact* same computer that your particular iTunes
    >>> software is installed on. It makes it difficult to get music onto an i
    >>> device when yo don't have easy access to your particular iTunes computer.

    >> You can plug into any PC with itunes and drag and drop the file onto the
    >> ipod. I keep a copy of the itunes installer in the mass storage on the
    >> ipod along with some other useful stuff.

    > Not too handy if none of your other computers are capable of running iTunes.

    Sure its a Windows and Mac accessory, accept that and move on.

    victor, Aug 13, 2010
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 16/08/2010 7:27 a.m., Allistar wrote:
    > victor wrote:

    >> Sure its a Windows and Mac accessory, accept that and move on.

    > I have accepted it, and luckily one of my kids has a Mac laptop for school,
    > so I use that. It's an annoying and technically unnecessary restriction
    > though.

    It is self inflicted.
    You could run iTunes Windows in a VM on your Linux PC
    It is proprietary software, but so is the iPad/iPhone and you had no
    problem accepting that.

    victor, Aug 15, 2010