    If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    be a good deal.

    , Mar 30, 2005

  2. On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, g00g1eme wrote:

    > Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC is
    > out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a power
    > supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site technicians
    > to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    > supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell PC.
    > If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    > be a good deal.

    if the machine is out of warranty there should be no reason you cant whip
    out a screwdriver and replace the parts as you see fit
    (of course being Dell you will only be able to replace some parts with
    Dell only parts, and some you can replace with generic)

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 30, 2005

  3. EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC is
    > out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a power
    > supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site technicians
    > to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    > supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell PC.
    > If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    > be a good deal.

    At the price I paid for the last few Dell machines i just bought a
    couple of extras for parts - a whole machine was less than Dell wanted
    for a PSU last time I looked.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 30, 2005
  4. BILL Guest

    On 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, wrote:

    >Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC is
    >out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a power
    >supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site technicians
    >to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    >supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell PC.
    >If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    >be a good deal.

    Closed Shop only , you will not get Dell parts..

    BILL, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    BILL wrote:
    > On 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC

    is
    > >out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a

    power
    > >supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site

    technicians
    > >to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    > >supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell

    PC.
    > >If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it

    would
    > >be a good deal.

    > Closed Shop only , you will not get Dell parts..

    Sorry, that is crap. I've spoken to someone this afternoon who obtained
    a quote for a Dell motherboard out of warranty. They can't remember the
    price, but it was more than a new non-Dell motherboard, CPU and RAM.

    , Mar 30, 2005
  6. EMB Guest

    BILL wrote:

    > Closed Shop only , you will not get Dell parts..

    Patently untrue Roger - I source Dell parts on a regular basis for my
    clients.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Jeremy Guest

    How difficult is this to get new parts and have them fitted I have a dell
    notebook with an 6inch scratch on the screen, Insurance will pay to fix
    this, My machine is under warranty but scratch is not warranty issue,
    anbody been though this process with dell, might make my telephone journey
    shorter,

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Mar 30, 2005
  8. mark Guest

    wrote in news:1112149999.590919.97430
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > BILL wrote:
    >> On 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC

    > is
    >> >out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a

    > power
    >> >supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site

    > technicians
    >> >to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    >> >supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell

    > PC.
    >> >If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it

    > would
    >> >be a good deal.

    >> Closed Shop only , you will not get Dell parts..

    > Sorry, that is crap. I've spoken to someone this afternoon who obtained
    > a quote for a Dell motherboard out of warranty. They can't remember the
    > price, but it was more than a new non-Dell motherboard, CPU and RAM.

    We just bought a replacement motherboard and PSU for IIRC, a Dell optiplex
    270 or similar. They were more than standard clone parts would be, but at
    under $300 for both they weren't outrageously overpriced.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    mark, Mar 30, 2005
  9. Rob J Guest

    In article <> in
    nz.comp on 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, <> says...
    > Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC is
    > out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a power
    > supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site technicians
    > to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    > supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell PC.
    > If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    > be a good deal.

    Also should ask what are the spares like on Acer, Compaq etc

    The problem is they have some proprietary components; most usually the
    power supply.

    In my experience the power supply is the most commonly failing component
    after the hard drive in a system unit. Out of warranty, getting a
    replacement might be very expensive or difficult.

    Most brandname PCs are compromised in some way, whether it be shortcuts
    in the design / specifications or this parts supply/cost issue. Outside
    the realm of the cheap and nasty motherboard makers, it's been brandname
    machines in my experience where the makers have sought to cut corners,
    delivering the end user with something less than value for money.

    Rob J, Apr 3, 2005
  10. BILL Guest

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:16:43 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <> in
    >nz.comp on 29 Mar 2005 16:43:05 -0800, <> says...
    >> Does anyone know what the deal is with Dell spare parts when the PC is
    >> out of warranty? Can you just phone up and order the part, e.g. a power
    >> supply, or do you also have to pay for one of their on-site technicians
    >> to come and install it? Also, what is the pricing like on Dell power
    >> supplies? The reason I ask, is I'm looking at a cheap ex-lease Dell PC.
    >> If spare parts are reasonably easy/cost effective to obtain, it would
    >> be a good deal.

    >Also should ask what are the spares like on Acer, Compaq etc
    >
    >The problem is they have some proprietary components; most usually the
    >power supply.
    >
    >In my experience the power supply is the most commonly failing component
    >after the hard drive in a system unit. Out of warranty, getting a
    >replacement might be very expensive or difficult.
    >
    >Most brandname PCs are compromised in some way, whether it be shortcuts
    >in the design / specifications or this parts supply/cost issue. Outside
    >the realm of the cheap and nasty motherboard makers, it's been brandname
    >machines in my experience where the makers have sought to cut corners,
    >delivering the end user with something less than value for money.

    I have fixed these custom PSU's as long as its not a custom part that has
    blown...

    BILL, Apr 3, 2005