Dell should go to Hell

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mark mandel, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    Why do I post this?

    Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing their
    computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the PC's).

    This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though my
    downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co. and
    get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so the
    old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and sent to
    God knows where.

    Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course we
    never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!

    When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized but
    there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told him
    that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e., that
    owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be subjected
    to this exchange instead of repair.
    mark mandel, Dec 21, 2004

  2. mark mandel wrote:
    > Why do I post this?
    >
    > Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing their
    > computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the PC's).
    >
    > This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though my
    > downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    > fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co. and
    > get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so the
    > old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and sent to
    > God knows where.
    >
    > Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course we
    > never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!
    >
    > When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized but
    > there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told him
    > that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e., that
    > owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be subjected
    > to this exchange instead of repair.

    Of course, anyone sending off a laptop with data that they can't afford
    to lose and not have a back up normally should have nothing to complain
    about. However, in the case of Dell, that *can* be one infuriating
    company to deal with, so I have some sympathy. Their "award winning"
    tech support is laughable.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004

  3. mark  mandel

    Mr Spite Guest

    not to start anything but most all co policy in general has gone to hell the
    past couple of years, like walfart, 90 day warranty is all you get now, it's
    a big biz thing don't cha know, screw your customers like no tomorrow...

    big biz see's the gov doing it so why not them right? everyone's building
    empires today don't forget...

    Mr Spite, Dec 21, 2004
  4. mark  mandel

    Ira Hayes Guest

    "Mr Spite" <> wrote in message

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    >> Why do I post this?
    >>
    >> Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing

    > their
    >> computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the
    >> PC's).
    >>
    >> This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though

    > my
    >> downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    >> fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co.

    > and
    >> get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so
    >> the
    >> old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and sent

    >> God knows where.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course

    > we
    >> never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!
    >>
    >> When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized
    >> but
    >> there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told

    > him
    >> that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e.,
    >> that
    >> owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be

    > subjected
    >> to this exchange instead of repair.
    >>

    >> not to start anything but most all co policy in general has gone to hell
    >> the

    > past couple of years, like walfart, 90 day warranty is all you get now,
    > it's
    > a big biz thing don't cha know, screw your customers like no tomorrow...
    >
    > big biz see's the gov doing it so why not them right? everyone's building
    > empires today don't forget...

    OP is trying to blame Dell for his own negligence and stupidity-- "we never
    got around to backing up the data."

    Duh--- how dumb is that?

    Poster number two is confusing "warranty" period with the 90 days that
    Wal-Mart will give you your freakin' money back on about anything you buy
    except computers/electronics. And if you ask nicely, they'll even take
    electronics back up to 90 days. How generous a policy is that?

    Bitch bitch bitch. You both sound like a bunch of government school-educated
    US bashing liberals!

    Ike
    Ira Hayes, Dec 21, 2004
  5. mark  mandel

    Paul - xxx Guest

    mark mandel composed the following ...
    > Why do I post this?

    Beats me, 'cos it seems to me that you shit your own pants and want to blame
    someone else for it.

    > Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data.

    That's been the first rule of computing since day 1 .. or maybe day 2 after
    they found they fucked up shit-loads on day 1. You know it makes sense.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 21, 2004
  6. mark  mandel

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Ira Hayes" <> wrote in message

    > OP is trying to blame Dell for his own negligence and stupidity-- "we
    > never got around to backing up the data."
    >
    > Duh--- how dumb is that?

    Agreed there.

    > Poster number two is confusing "warranty" period with the 90 days that
    > Wal-Mart will give you your freakin' money back on about anything you buy
    > except computers/electronics. And if you ask nicely, they'll even take
    > electronics back up to 90 days. How generous a policy is that?

    And never ever buy open box returns from Wally. Pretty much a no questions
    asked exchange policy.
    Have seen more than one worn out game system/boom box/etc returned and
    exchanged for a brand new one after a years use.

    ImhoTech, Dec 21, 2004
  7. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "Ira Hayes" <> wrote in message

    > "Mr Spite" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    > >> Why do I post this?
    > >>
    > >> Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing

    > > their
    > >> computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the
    > >> PC's).
    > >>
    > >> This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even

    though
    > > my
    > >> downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    > >> fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell

    Co.
    > > and
    > >> get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so
    > >> the
    > >> old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and

    sent
    > >> God knows where.
    > >>
    > >> Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of

    course
    > > we
    > >> never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!
    > >>
    > >> When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized
    > >> but
    > >> there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told

    > > him
    > >> that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e.,
    > >> that
    > >> owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be

    > > subjected
    > >> to this exchange instead of repair.
    > >>

    > >> not to start anything but most all co policy in general has gone to

    hell
    > >> the

    > > past couple of years, like walfart, 90 day warranty is all you get now,
    > > it's
    > > a big biz thing don't cha know, screw your customers like no tomorrow...
    > >
    > > big biz see's the gov doing it so why not them right? everyone's

    building
    > > empires today don't forget...

    > OP is trying to blame Dell for his own negligence and stupidity-- "we

    never
    > got around to backing up the data."
    >
    > Duh--- how dumb is that?
    >
    > Poster number two is confusing "warranty" period with the 90 days that
    > Wal-Mart will give you your freakin' money back on about anything you buy
    > except computers/electronics. And if you ask nicely, they'll even take
    > electronics back up to 90 days. How generous a policy is that?
    >
    > Bitch bitch bitch. You both sound like a bunch of government

    school-educated
    > US bashing liberals!
    >
    > Ike

    I'll readily concede that the drive should've been backed up, K?

    What you don't seem to understand is Dell's inability or unwillingness to do
    a fucking basic repair on something that wasn't all that complicated. As I
    stated, I tried myself to fix it but wasn't able to. Surely, there would
    have to be some "qualified" tech at some Dellk "authorized" service center
    who could fix the God damned thing!

    And WTF does being a "U S bashing liberal" have to do with this anyway?
    mark mandel, Dec 21, 2004
  8. mark  mandel

    trout Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > mark mandel composed the following ...

    >> Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data.

    > That's been the first rule of computing since day 1 .. or maybe day 2
    > after they found they fucked up shit-loads on day 1. You know it
    > makes sense.

    No, that was day 3. Day 2 was a marketing seminar.
    --
    "With a rather long lunch."
    trout, Dec 21, 2004
  9. mark  mandel

    xhead Guest

    you'd most likely get a similar response as the posters above from dell tech
    support...

    and it's only 90 days warranty, electronics get less i believe, go see...
    and quit the cover up... rightwing whiner...

    xhead, Dec 21, 2004
  10. mark  mandel

    Gary Guest

    Maybe next time, you will save a copy of your drive before you mail it
    off? Do you keep a copy of your tax return you mail off each year? If
    you read the warranty information, you will find something in there
    about how they will handle a broken computer, and that normally will be
    to send you a new one. If you wanted them to fix that one specific
    machine it might take weeks to months to get the parts and do the job.
    Then you'd be griping about how long it took to fix it. Sheesh.

    Gary, Dec 21, 2004
  11. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe next time, you will save a copy of your drive before you mail it
    > off? Do you keep a copy of your tax return you mail off each year? If
    > you read the warranty information, you will find something in there
    > about how they will handle a broken computer, and that normally will be
    > to send you a new one. If you wanted them to fix that one specific
    > machine it might take weeks to months to get the parts and do the job.
    > Then you'd be griping about how long it took to fix it. Sheesh.

    OK, finally I get some useful information. It was my uncle's oversight in
    this case then, that he didn't take the time to fully check through that
    warranty info(or have me do it) so that he would have understood this. Then
    when the problem occurred I most certainly would have removed that drive.

    mark mandel, Dec 22, 2004
  12. mark  mandel

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Why do I post this?
    |
    | Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing
    their
    | computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the PC's).

    <snipped>

    Our office has several laptops from Dell. I've had excellent service and
    next-day turn-around on all repairs (only 3 in 8 years on over 30 systems -
    laptops, desktops and servers). But everytime we've sent a laptop in for any
    repairs, we've been clearly reminded to take *out* the hard drives and all
    removable parts (drives, batteries, etc.) I would *never* send any of the
    company (or my) hard drives to anyone else. In the one case that thedrive
    was faulty, they sent me a replacment drive, let me change it myself, then
    transfer my data, and using wipedisk I securely erased the defective drive
    before returning it.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2004
  13. mark  mandel

    Gary Guest

    mark mandel wrote:
    > "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Maybe next time, you will save a copy of your drive before you mail it
    >>off? Do you keep a copy of your tax return you mail off each year? If
    >>you read the warranty information, you will find something in there
    >>about how they will handle a broken computer, and that normally will be
    >>to send you a new one. If you wanted them to fix that one specific
    >>machine it might take weeks to months to get the parts and do the job.
    >>Then you'd be griping about how long it took to fix it. Sheesh.

    > OK, finally I get some useful information. It was my uncle's oversight in
    > this case then, that he didn't take the time to fully check through that
    > warranty info(or have me do it) so that he would have understood this. Then
    > when the problem occurred I most certainly would have removed that drive.
    >

    >>mark mandel wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why do I post this?
    >>>
    >>>Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing

    > their
    >
    >>>computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the

    > PC's).
    >
    >>>This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though

    > my
    >
    >>>downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    >>>fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co.

    > and
    >
    >>>get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so

    > the
    >
    >>>old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and sent

    >>>God knows where.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course

    > we
    >
    >>>never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!
    >>>
    >>>When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized

    > but
    >
    >>>there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told

    > him
    >
    >>>that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e.,

    > that
    >
    >>>owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be

    > subjected
    >
    >>>to this exchange instead of repair.

    You might think that Dell has a stupid policy, but think of what you'd
    say if they took a month to get it back to you. Often the problem is
    software related, so the first or maybe the second thing they are going
    to do is format the drive and install an image anyway to see if it runs
    correctly with the correct software loaded, so there goes your data
    anyway. If there is a next time, don't let this happen next time.
    Gary, Dec 22, 2004
  14. mark  mandel

    Richard Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    > Why do I post this?

    > Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing
    > their computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the
    > PC's).

    > This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though
    > my downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    > fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co.
    > and get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so
    > the old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and
    > sent to God knows where.

    > Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course
    > we never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!

    > When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized but
    > there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told
    > him that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e.,
    > that owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be
    > subjected to this exchange instead of repair.

    I can just see the guy who has ultra top secret information for the
    President sending his Dell laptop in for repair and forgetting to wipe it
    clean first.
    The techie at Dell finds out this information and hands it over to the
    press.

    Never turn over a computer to someone for repair wihtout making backups of
    critical stuff first.

    One guy didn't do that and he got busted for having child pornography on his
    machine.
    Richard, Dec 22, 2004
  15. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    21 Dec 2004 22:55:39 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> screamed
    from behind the mulberry bush:

    > mark mandel wrote:
    >
    >> Why do I post this?

    >> Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing
    >> their computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for the
    >> PC's).

    >> This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though
    >> my downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    >> fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co.
    >> and get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and so
    >> the old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out and
    >> sent to God knows where.

    >> Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course
    >> we never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!

    >> When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized but
    >> there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I told
    >> him that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of this, i.e.,
    >> that owners of computers should back up if their items are going to be
    >> subjected to this exchange instead of repair.

    >I can just see the guy who has ultra top secret information for the
    >President sending his Dell laptop in for repair and forgetting to wipe it
    >clean first.
    >The techie at Dell finds out this information and hands it over to the
    >press.
    >
    >Never turn over a computer to someone for repair wihtout making backups of
    >critical stuff first.
    >
    >One guy didn't do that and he got busted for having child pornography on his
    >machine.

    Been more than one, d00d.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 22, 2004
  16. mark  mandel

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    >> "Gary" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Maybe next time, you will save a copy of your drive before you mail it
    >>>off? Do you keep a copy of your tax return you mail off each year? If
    >>>you read the warranty information, you will find something in there
    >>>about how they will handle a broken computer, and that normally will be
    >>>to send you a new one. If you wanted them to fix that one specific
    >>>machine it might take weeks to months to get the parts and do the job.
    >>>Then you'd be griping about how long it took to fix it. Sheesh.

    >> OK, finally I get some useful information. It was my uncle's oversight
    >> in
    >> this case then, that he didn't take the time to fully check through that
    >> warranty info(or have me do it) so that he would have understood this.
    >> Then
    >> when the problem occurred I most certainly would have removed that drive.

    >> their

    >> PC's).

    >> my

    >> and

    >> the

    >> we

    >> but

    >> him

    >> that

    >> subjected

    > You might think that Dell has a stupid policy, but think of what you'd say
    > if they took a month to get it back to you. Often the problem is software
    > related, so the first or maybe the second thing they are going to do is
    > format the drive and install an image anyway to see if it runs correctly
    > with the correct software loaded, so there goes your data anyway. If there
    > is a next time, don't let this happen next time.

    Yes, you're right. It was unfortunate that my uncle failed(or myself I
    suppose for that matter)failed to take this into account.

    So it won't happen again!(hopefully).
    Mark Mandell, Dec 22, 2004
  17. mark  mandel

    xitrium Guest

    **** you guys.
    dell should tell their customers before they wipe discs.

    xitrium, Dec 22, 2004
  18. mark  mandel

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor composed the following ...
    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    > 21 Dec 2004 22:55:39 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> screamed
    > from behind the mulberry bush:
    >
    >> mark mandel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why do I post this?

    >>> Because they have a stupid policy of exchanging rather than repairing
    >>> their computers(at least the laptops, I don't know if that's true for
    >>> the PC's).

    >>> This just happened with my uncle. The sound didn't work and even though
    >>> my downloading the drivers from their website provided a "temporary"
    >>> fix(because the problem soon returned) I told him to notify the Dell Co.
    >>> and get it repaired as per the warranty. Instead they exchanged it and
    >>> so the old one having all the contents of his hard drive got taken out
    >>> and sent to God knows where.

    >>> Unfortunately we never got around to backing up the data. But of course
    >>> we never would have anticipated an exchange instead of a repair either!

    >>> When I subsequently called their tech support, the employee apologized
    >>> but there was nothing he could do which I readily acknowledged. But I
    >>> told him that Dell should have a policy of informing all buyers of
    >>> this, i.e., that owners of computers should back up if their items are
    >>> going to be subjected to this exchange instead of repair.

    >> I can just see the guy who has ultra top secret information for the
    >> President sending his Dell laptop in for repair and forgetting to wipe it
    >> clean first.
    >> The techie at Dell finds out this information and hands it over to the
    >> press.
    >>
    >> Never turn over a computer to someone for repair wihtout making backups
    >> of critical stuff first.
    >>
    >> One guy didn't do that and he got busted for having child pornography on
    >> his machine.

    > Been more than one, d00d.

    One Gary Glitter, there's only one Gary Glitter .. one Gary Glitter ....
    there's only one Gary Glitter..

    sung to some tune or other .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Dec 22, 2004
  19. mark  mandel

    Mr Spite Guest

    ditto that... 10x dell sux root....

    Mr Spite, Dec 22, 2004
  20. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:24:57 GMT, "mark mandel" <>
    wrote:

    >> > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message

    >> > their

    >I'll readily concede that the drive should've been backed up, K?
    >
    >What you don't seem to understand is Dell's inability or unwillingness to do
    >a fucking basic repair on something that wasn't all that complicated. As I
    >stated, I tried myself to fix it but wasn't able to. Surely, there would
    >have to be some "qualified" tech at some Dellk "authorized" service center
    >who could fix the God damned thing!

    Dell and no other computer manufacture is in the business of backing up
    user data.
    Laptop computers are much different than desktop computers and in
    many cases are *not repairable* What may a 10Cent fix on a desktop
    may be impossible on a laptop.
    Rather than spend the time and money to attempt repair Dell said
    give him a new computer which is in my vew is very generous while
    you think it is dumb.
    Star@*.*.invalid, Dec 22, 2004