Dell$ !ships Open Office installed on all new PCs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by 7, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. 7

    7 Guest

    Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    http://www.openoffice.org

    This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )

    Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    open source movement bandwagon.

    Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    7, Jan 12, 2006

  2. 7

    Ukuntu Guest

    7 wrote:

    > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > http://www.openoffice.org

    Really? Where?

    > This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    > on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    > Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    > or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    > open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    > Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    > ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    > boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    >
    > Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit

    Or not, as is more likely.

    Ukuntu, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Re: Premature Ejaculation can it be stress

    Swaranjeet-swami Nitya-Sundara, Jan 12, 2006
  4. 7

    Larry Qualig Guest

    7 wrote:
    > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > http://www.openoffice.org
    >
    > This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    > on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    > Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    > or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    > open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    > Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    > ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    > boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    >
    > Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    > by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    > software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    > open source movement bandwagon.
    >
    > Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    > community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    > derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    No such story appears at OpenOffice.org.
    No such story appears at Dell.com
    No such story appears anywhere in the news.

    Have an URL anywhere? In other words... where did YOU read this?

    Larry Qualig, Jan 12, 2006
  5. On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:37:55 GMT, 7
    <> wrote:

    >Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    >free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    >http://www.openoffice.org
    >
    >This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    >on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    >Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    >or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    >open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    >Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    >ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    >boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    >
    >Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    >by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    >software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    >open source movement bandwagon.
    >
    >Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    >community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    >derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    not according to this
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/services/con_Personal_Sys_SW_Spt.pdf

    Source
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/top...ntracts?c=us&cs=RC968571&l=en&s=hea&~lt=print

    unluckylanding, Jan 12, 2006
  6. 7

    Oxford Guest

    "Larry Qualig" <> wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    > > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > > http://www.openoffice.org
    > >
    > > This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    > > on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    > > Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    > > or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    > > open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    > > Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    > > ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    > > boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    > >
    > > Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    > > by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    > > software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    > > open source movement bandwagon.
    > >
    > > Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    > > community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    > > derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    that's very doubtful, it wouldn't make any sense for DeLL to do so.

    Oxford, Jan 12, 2006
  7. 7

    Peter Guest

    7 wrote:

    > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > http://www.openoffice.org

    Suppose that Dell has now got sufficiently 'powerful' that it can start
    thumbing its nose at Bill and Steve. No doubt Dell would like to loosen
    itself completely from the thralls of Microsoft and be able to treat
    Microsoft as any other supplier rather than a prima donna who likes to rule
    the roost.

    Peter, Jan 12, 2006
  8. 7

    Mitch Guest

    In article <D6zxf.25497$>,
    <> wrote:

    > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > http://www.openoffice.org
    >
    > This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    > on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    > Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    > or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    > open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    > Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    > ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    > boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    >
    > Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    > by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    > software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    > open source movement bandwagon.
    >
    > Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    > community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    > derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    That's a follish and unwarranted assumption.
    It is very possible, even likely, that the reason manufacturers are
    using such software is because it doesn't cost like the others do.

    It doesn't have to mean they are backing the principles of open source,
    it might just mean they reject the PRICE of the commercial products
    they might otherwise use.

    Mitch, Jan 12, 2006
  9. 7

    flatfish+++ Guest

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:37:55 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    > http://www.openoffice.org
    >
    > Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    > community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    > derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    My limited experience with Dell has been very good. I purchased the bottom
    line Dell 2400 with a 17 inch monitor, 80g drive 256mb (too low) RAM, CDRW
    etc last October for my son.

    This is the first PC I've ever purchased prebuilt(excepting an iMac) and
    only because I just could not come near to the price of $299.99.

    The machine is solidly made with name brand components and it works very
    well after a couple of modifications.

    Norton System Works was removed (not an easy task to do).
    That had to speed things up 25 percent or more.
    Another 512mb PC3200 RAM added, I had it laying around.
    They flubbed the IDE controller setting it for PIO mode instead of DMA,
    but they sent me an email letting me know it. I figured it out 5 minutes
    after I booted the machine though and fixed it.

    Other than that, the machine runs quite nice and it even runs Suse 10
    Linux fine on the now wiped out Dell System Restore partition.

    Highly recommended for all in one systems that are decent quality at rock
    bottom prices.
    I have to admit I wasn't expecting much for $299, but it's really a nice
    box for basic use.

    Dell is very shrewd for including Openoffice because for most people it is
    more than they will ever need in an office suite.

    flatfish+++, Jan 13, 2006
  10. 7

    Skeets Guest

    no, i t wouldn't make any sense at all for dell to give very usefual,
    free software to their customers.

    it isn't like they would try to make their customers happy or
    anything... -lol-

    Skeets, Jan 13, 2006
  11. __/ [Oxford] on Thursday 12 January 2006 21:30 \__

    > "Larry Qualig" <> wrote:
    >
    >> 7 wrote:
    >> > Dell$ !announced today that it is !shipping
    >> > free Open Office pre-installed with all new PCs
    >> > http://www.openoffice.org
    >> >
    >> > This is in direct response to competitive pressure
    >> > on PC vendors with competitor companies selling PCs with
    >> > Linux installed in dual boot mode cheaper than wallmart$ PCs
    >> > or kitting out windopes PC with Open Office and other
    >> > open source software like Firefox, Thunderbird,
    >> > Gimp (photoshop replacement), Gaim, 7zip,
    >> > ClamAV, winpooch, privoxy, as well as the dual
    >> > boot Linux (http://www.livecdlist.com )
    >> >
    >> > Many other PC vendors are expected to follow suit
    >> > by offering PCs pre-loaded with free open source
    >> > software so as to maximise customer value by switching to the
    >> > open source movement bandwagon.
    >> >
    >> > Dell$ has !promised to contribute funds back to the open source
    >> > community in exchange for the benefits they as a corporation
    >> > derive having made the leap in making open source work for them.

    > that's very doubtful, it wouldn't make any sense for DeLL to do so.

    Yes, we need a link from somewhere that has a high level of credibility.
    The Opera and Google PC rumours are probably a product of the blog phe-
    nomenon, but also the LA Times screwed up once.

    Bear in mind that Dell bundle Firefox only in the UK. I once predicated
    that OpenOffice was just a matter of time, but this seems too quick to be
    believable.

    Firefox, you see, is /better/ than most other browsers. OpenOffice cannot
    yet be described as the optimal office suite. It is not the 'mother of al-
    l' in terms of functionality.

    That aside, how do you think Microsoft would feel if their close ally or
    'hardware department' gave customers a reason to opt out from the biggest
    'cash cow'? This serves the customers whose filestore is often filled with
    Office files nonetheless. Dell must decide if their priority is the ally
    or the customer whose budget is limited. Given their greyish past (Open PC
    more expensive than a Windows PC), I doubt it with passion.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 13, 2006