    intended for consumer/student use
    <http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/17/1539212>,
    <http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2564>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 18, 2005

  2. T'was the Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:18:06 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >Dell is shipping a Latitude 110L with Mandriva Linux preinstalled,
    >intended for consumer/student use
    ><http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/17/1539212>,
    ><http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2564>.

    I think things like this will go a long way towards increasing Linux's
    desktop share.

    Whatever happened to DSE selling boxes with Linux preinstalled?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 18, 2005

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:18:06 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Dell is shipping a Latitude 110L with Mandriva Linux preinstalled,
    > intended for consumer/student use
    > <http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/17/1539212>,
    > <http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2564>.

    Unfortunately Dell is still shipping Dimdoze.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.

    Bling-Bling, Sep 18, 2005
  4. T'was the Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:45:37 +1200 when I remembered
    Bling-Bling <> saying something like this:

    >Unfortunately Dell is still shipping Dimdoze.

    Lets consider for a minute, I don't know, say consumer demand. If Dell
    stopped shipping Windows, when say HP continued to, would Dell lose
    market share by having less alternatives than their rivals? Of course.
    Name me one big hardware supplier shipping Linux exclusively on the
    desktop.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 18, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >Name me one big hardware supplier shipping Linux exclusively on the
    >desktop.

    Well, when I bought my Shuttle SB75G2 box, it came with a copy of
    Mandrake 9.2 Discovery Edition in the box, but no Windows.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2005
  6. T'was the Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:02:24 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >>Name me one big hardware supplier shipping Linux exclusively on the
    >>desktop.

    >Well, when I bought my Shuttle SB75G2 box, it came with a copy of
    >Mandrake 9.2 Discovery Edition in the box, but no Windows.

    When I bought a Chaintech mobo it came with Turbolinux, but that's not
    exactly preinstalled is it?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 19, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:02:24 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >this:

    >>>Well, when I bought my Shuttle SB75G2 box, it came with a copy of
    >>>Mandrake 9.2 Discovery Edition in the box, but no Windows.

    >When I bought a Chaintech mobo it came with Turbolinux, but that's not
    >exactly preinstalled is it?

    Well, Waylon Kenning didn't say anything about "preinstalled"...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 19, 2005
  8. T'was the Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:44:44 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >>When I bought a Chaintech mobo it came with Turbolinux, but that's not
    >>exactly preinstalled is it?

    >Well, Waylon Kenning didn't say anything about "preinstalled"...

    When I said "shipping Linux exclusively on the desktop", having
    software bundled with hardware isn't exactly "on the desktop" is it?
    By desktop, I'm referring to a computer desktop, or the GUI that
    people use on "desktop" computers, not specifically software on the
    top of a desk or table.

    Did you really not know what I meant?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 19, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:44:44 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    >D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    >this:

    >>>When I bought a Chaintech mobo it came with Turbolinux, but that's not
    >>>exactly preinstalled is it?

    >>Well, Waylon Kenning didn't say anything about "preinstalled"...

    >When I said "shipping Linux exclusively on the desktop", having
    >software bundled with hardware isn't exactly "on the desktop" is it?

    Why not? Both of us were referring to desktop machines.

    >By desktop, I'm referring to a computer desktop, or the GUI that
    >people use on "desktop" computers, not specifically software on the
    >top of a desk or table.

    Like KDE? That came as a standard part of the Mandrake install in my
    case, no doubt something similar came with Turbolinux.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 20, 2005