    What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?

    We've just bought a PowerEdge SC430, that freezes after only two or
    three hours of operation.
    Rob J, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Rob J

    Tony Guest

    Ive got 20 or so PE 650/750/850 and 1750's running Windows 2000/2003 and
    Linux (RHEL 3.0 and Centos4) and have no stability or reliability issues
    whatsoever.

    Tony, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Rob J

    EMB Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?

    I look after about 15 or so, and they're at least as reliable as
    equivalent kit from other manufacturers. The one beside me is showing
    an uptime of 158 days.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Rob J

    thingy Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?
    >
    > We've just bought a PowerEdge SC430, that freezes after only two or
    > three hours of operation.

    We have about 120 Dell servers, around 30 Linux and 90 MS OSes.

    When we build them, we,

    Flash the bios,
    Flash the firmware(s),
    Then install the OS.

    We have had an occasional issue with a bios or firmware then we
    back-flash (Dell 1850s).

    With Linux at the OS level there have been no issues, ditto rarely OSS
    applications. In the last 18 months I recall 2, one with squid the other
    with Sendmail TLS..

    We have had the occasional glitch with a MS patch set but by and large
    once up and left alone we rarely see an issue with the win2k/win2k3 at
    the OS level....

    We do have quite a few issues with closed source applications running on
    top of both Linux and MS so I suggest you look at any 3rd party stuff
    you have running....see if the issue is there.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Rob J

    thingy Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?
    >
    > We've just bought a PowerEdge SC430, that freezes after only two or
    > three hours of operation.

    Oh and when we buy a Dell server we buy it with a 5 year warrantee up front.

    Here in Wellington Unisys do the Dell hardware support and we have found
    them very good...on par with Sun...(though that says more about Sun's
    service dropping in quality than Dell's rising to Sun's, though they
    have improved).

    We have HP/Compaq kit and their service sucks, a 4 hour response is more
    like 4 days as we get the ring around, ie 4 hours, wrong department,
    another 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours
    parts, 4 hours tech on site - wrong parts, 4 hours right parts, 4 hours
    tech on site.....

    Unisys are rarely late, usually 2 hours and usually bring a swag of bits
    if they are not sure of the fault....so you could have bought worse.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    y says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?
    > >
    > > We've just bought a PowerEdge SC430, that freezes after only two or
    > > three hours of operation.

    > Oh and when we buy a Dell server we buy it with a 5 year warrantee up front.
    >
    > Here in Wellington Unisys do the Dell hardware support and we have found
    > them very good...on par with Sun...(though that says more about Sun's
    > service dropping in quality than Dell's rising to Sun's, though they
    > have improved).
    >
    > We have HP/Compaq kit and their service sucks, a 4 hour response is more
    > like 4 days as we get the ring around, ie 4 hours, wrong department,
    > another 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours
    > parts, 4 hours tech on site - wrong parts, 4 hours right parts, 4 hours
    > tech on site.....
    >
    > Unisys are rarely late, usually 2 hours and usually bring a swag of bits
    > if they are not sure of the fault....so you could have bought worse.

    That's good to know about HP/Compaq. I did try to get a price from them
    in the past but they never got back so we didn't buy from them in the
    end.

    Do you have to talk to Indians when you ring the Dell service number?
    Rob J, Dec 24, 2005
  7. Rob J

    thingy Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > y says...
    >
    >>Rob J wrote:
    >>
    >>>What is Dell's reliability record like on servers?
    >>>
    >>>We've just bought a PowerEdge SC430, that freezes after only two or
    >>>three hours of operation.

    >>Oh and when we buy a Dell server we buy it with a 5 year warrantee up front.
    >>
    >>Here in Wellington Unisys do the Dell hardware support and we have found
    >>them very good...on par with Sun...(though that says more about Sun's
    >>service dropping in quality than Dell's rising to Sun's, though they
    >>have improved).
    >>
    >>We have HP/Compaq kit and their service sucks, a 4 hour response is more
    >>like 4 days as we get the ring around, ie 4 hours, wrong department,
    >>another 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours wrong department, 4 hours
    >>parts, 4 hours tech on site - wrong parts, 4 hours right parts, 4 hours
    >>tech on site.....
    >>
    >>Unisys are rarely late, usually 2 hours and usually bring a swag of bits
    >>if they are not sure of the fault....so you could have bought worse.

    > That's good to know about HP/Compaq. I did try to get a price from them
    > in the past but they never got back so we didn't buy from them in the
    > end.
    >
    > Do you have to talk to Indians when you ring the Dell service number?

    Yes, but you do if you ring Sun and they are 10x the cost of
    Dell....ditto HP.....all use India....it does depend on the time zone
    though....I have had the USA with HP.

    After the initial Dell contact though you get Unisys in NZ who are
    native english speakers....good on hardware, suck on Linux.

    If I ring Redhat AP I get OZ or the USA...we do our support directly
    with RH, Dell are really clueless.

    The thing I really hate is the voip lines, the quality and sound level
    is awful, combined with a non-english speaker and its hard work.

    Dell have improved this though (but not Sun). Because we are a big
    customer I get surveyed quite a bit and it seems comments on Dell voip
    has been listened to, (not with Sun though it still sucks, I have been
    complaining for 3 years)....also my last 2 or 3 calls the Dell
    helldesk's english has also noticably improved....or I have been lucky.

    If I had to pick the best support I'd say Dell is now edging out Sun
    overall. HP used to be OK, but they seemed to have totally gone to the
    dogs, their support is so bad I'd never buy off HP again. Sun local
    support used to have 5 or 6 engineers, 2 or 3 were very good the rest
    marginal, now they only have the 2 good ones and outsource the overflow,
    these are OK but not the quality of the "real" sun engineers....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Dec 24, 2005
  8. Rob J

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > Dell have improved this though (but not Sun). Because we are a big
    > customer I get surveyed quite a bit and it seems comments on Dell voip
    > has been listened to,

    A *big* Dell customer gets their support staff sent on Dell training at
    Dell's cost, and direct access to 24 hour human, impeccable English
    speaking, help based in the US. They also tend to get spare parts left
    with them to cope with any likely hardware failures.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Dec 25, 2005