Dell says no & Acronis says maybe sysprep utility ( Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bobby Fischler, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Will Dormann <> wrote in message news:<SGBCc.152632$>...
    > FransHals wrote:
    > > http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/
    > >
    > > I need to do an image back up a machine. This looks like a better
    > > solution than Ghost. Acronis allows you to do scheduled back ups
    > > which is also a plus. Ideally I want to set up the clone machine
    > > next to the older machine. Plug them both into the network and have
    > > the new machine backing up the old once a week or every day.

    > TrueImage is a great program.
    > Incremental backups, scheduling, Linux filesystem support, and native
    > "Network Neighborhood" support are a few of my favorite features.
    >
    > The only place you might run into a snag is that since the recovery CD
    > is Linux-based, you might have trouble if you have some hardware which
    > isn't supported by Linux.
    >
    > I question your "cloning" backup strategy, though. First, cloning is
    > intended for use between drives in a single machine. Even if you could
    > get some way to clone across machines, the hardware would need to be
    > pretty much the same between the machines. And I'm sure you'll
    > probably run into licensing/activation issues with XP if that's your OS.
    >
    > Wouldn't it make more sense to do an "Image" backup. That way you can
    > take advantage of the scheduling, incremental, and other features of
    > TrueImage. Plus you can keep multiple levels of backups, depending on
    > your storage availability and backup needs. Heck, you can even
    > dispense with the whole older machine. Save on power costs, if that's
    > all that you'd be using it for. Just get an external USB2 or Firewire
    > drive. (Or even a spare internal drive)
    >

    > -WD

    How do I get it to the new machine? You say dispense with the older
    machine. ???

    I talked to Dell and they said that cloning from the old HP Pavilion
    to the new Dell 400 SC will not work because of the hardware
    differences. I am running NT 4.0 SP 6.

    Acronis says:

    "If the new machine hardware configuration differs from the old one,
    than you should use sysprep utility before backup creation.

    Please read the following article:
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#17"

    Bobby Fischler, Jul 24, 2004