    2. HD

    Thanks in advance
    MAWD

    tvs, Jul 23, 2005

  2. tvs

    tvs Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote

    tvs wrote:
    > Hi....I'm trying to re-install the Image off their Rescue Disc.....etc

    It looks like you have the correct order set in the BIOS.
    Two dumb questions: is the CD drive OK and connected properly, *and*
    is that a bootable CD?
    --------
    * No....it's not a dumb question at all. Yes....it is a bootable disc
    because I've
    used it before and it worked ok.........are you familiar with the Dell
    way of doing things?
    TIA....MAWD

    tvs, Jul 23, 2005

  3. tvs

    tvs Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote

    are you familiar with the Dell
    > way of doing things?
    > TIA....MAWD

    Not at all, except that they "carve" their own ID on the hard drive,
    so that it is virtually impossible to replace the hard drive if it dies.
    I would verify all IDE connections inside for proper polarity and
    complete seating (have care you do not disloge other connections).
    If all is OK, i have no other suggestions - other than trying that CD
    on a computer that you can reformat the hard drive if the CD operations
    go too far...
    ----------
    * Thanks for all of this.....am I correct in assuming that if I format the
    drive
    and attempt to re-install the 'recovery' disc it can't read the image
    because
    the ID has been removed?
    MAWD

    tvs, Jul 23, 2005
  4. tvs

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Jul 24, 2005
  5. tvs

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Jul 24, 2005
  6. tvs

    Fred Guest

    Robert Baer, <>, whose name means "graceless
    privy-queen; gives oral for ten cents; loves monster buttocks", chuckled:

    > It looks like you have the correct order set in the BIOS.

    Wait until it starts working.

    > Two dumb questions: is the CD drive OK and connected properly, *and* is
    > that a bootable CD?

    I only got my first computer yesterday so I can't be of much help there.

    Fred, Jul 24, 2005
  7. tvs

    Fred Guest

    Robert Baer, <>, whose name means "always feels
    inadequate after sex; either very nice to girls or a faggot", sputtered:

    > Not at all, except that they "carve" their own ID on the hard drive, so
    > that it is virtually impossible to replace the hard drive if it dies.

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?

    > I would verify all IDE connections inside for proper polarity and
    > complete seating (have care you do not disloge other connections)

    You have spyware.

    > If all is OK, i have no other suggestions - other than trying that CD on
    > a computer that you can reformat the hard drive if the CD operations go
    > too far...

    I know nothing about computers.

    Fred, Jul 24, 2005
  8. tvs

    tvs Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote

    > Hi....I'm trying to re-install the Image off their Rescue Disc [Dell 8400]
    > which would bring my machine back to factory config. with all the drivers
    > etc....

    is that a bootable CD?
    ------------
    * You know......it might not be a bootable disc.......
    I'll investigate this further.....
    MAWD

    tvs, Jul 24, 2005
  9. tvs

    tvs Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote

    It is very possible that a mere re-formatting of the HD would remove
    the "DELL fingerprint", and also possible that the so-called "recovery
    CD" would not restore that "fingerprint", rendering thecomputer unuseable.
    Take another (non-DELL) HD and use it as a replacement for the one in
    the computer and see if the "recovery CD" will make that drive useable.
    That way, you have nothing to lose.
    ----------
    * Thanks for that......in fact...the machine works quite well with
    XP Pro installed......a little on the slow side but it works fine....
    it's just not back to the Original config.....yet!
    MAWD

    tvs, Jul 24, 2005
  10. tvs

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer, Jul 25, 2005
  11. tvs

    Robert Baer Guest

    tvs wrote:
    > "Robert Baer" <> wrote
    >
    > It is very possible that a mere re-formatting of the HD would remove
    > the "DELL fingerprint", and also possible that the so-called "recovery
    > CD" would not restore that "fingerprint", rendering thecomputer unuseable.
    > Take another (non-DELL) HD and use it as a replacement for the one in
    > the computer and see if the "recovery CD" will make that drive useable.
    > That way, you have nothing to lose.
    > ----------
    > * Thanks for that......in fact...the machine works quite well with
    > XP Pro installed......a little on the slow side but it works fine....
    > it's just not back to the Original config.....yet!
    > MAWD

    Perhaps it is slow because you have 512Mbytes or less of RAM...

    Robert Baer, Jul 26, 2005
  12. tvs

    Dave C. Guest

    > Not at all, except that they "carve" their own ID on the hard drive,
    > so that it is virtually impossible to replace the hard drive if it dies.

    I am seriously thinking of making a clone of my 80 gig hard drive (Dell
    8300, XP Pro). Discussing this with Dell, they do not recommend cloning. Is
    the above the reason they do not reccommend this? And therefore cloning
    might not work? My next step was to get an external drive and run it with a
    USB connection, but now I don't know.

    --
    Dave C.

    Dave C., Jul 31, 2005
  13. tvs

    Fakename Guest

    It could work, if you can get EXACTLY the same hard drive to replace the
    one your cloning from. Otherwise you'll have errors. And then the only
    think Dell will be able to do is replace the HD or mail you "restore" CD's.

    Fakename, Jul 31, 2005