Dell releases 24" Widescreen LCD - $1,199 US

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pixel, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. pixel

    pixel Guest

    pixel, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Suddenly, pixel sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > with 1000:1 contrast ratio <@:) would love to know when these will be in
    > NZ but it ain't on the Dell NZ website yet...
    >
    > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=4009&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > and the only review on it i could find so far:
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp

    Wow that looks pretty good. 1000:1 is a big improvement on the typical
    400 or 500:1 (if it's real)...

    And the price should be well under 2000 NZ...
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Mar 7, 2005

  3. pixel

    pixel Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > Wow that looks pretty good. 1000:1 is a big improvement on the typical
    > 400 or 500:1 (if it's real)...
    >
    > And the price should be well under 2000 NZ...

    heh... it won't be. dell NZ will add a markup of several hundred $, just
    like sony. but hopefully the NZ branch has dell's total customer
    satisfaction guarantuee. basically a dell system or peripheral can be
    returned within 15 days for a full refund, useful for an LCD purchase :)
    pixel, Mar 7, 2005
  4. pixel

    Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > Suddenly, pixel sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > > with 1000:1 contrast ratio <@:) would love to know when these will

    be in
    > > NZ but it ain't on the Dell NZ website yet...

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&category_id=4009&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    > > and the only review on it i could find so far:
    > >
    > > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764458,00.asp

    > Wow that looks pretty good. 1000:1 is a big improvement on the

    typical
    > 400 or 500:1 (if it's real)...

    I just read a review of this one here.
    http://tinyurl.com/6nh85

    and they said the following.
    "In the lab, the 2405FPW hit its marks, with a measured contrast ratio
    of 612:1"
    and then this
    Benchmark test results:
    Average Contrast Ratio: 612:1
    Average Black Level: 0.4 candelas/m2 (cd/m2)
    Average White Level: 499 cd/m2
    VESA Uniformity Black: 72.9%
    VESA Uniformity White: 86.8%

    so although good, it's not as good as their spec sheet.
    , Mar 12, 2005
  5. pixel

    pixel Guest

    wrote:
    > Benchmark test results:
    > Average Contrast Ratio: 612:1
    > Average Black Level: 0.4 candelas/m2 (cd/m2)
    > Average White Level: 499 cd/m2
    > VESA Uniformity Black: 72.9%
    > VESA Uniformity White: 86.8%
    >
    > so although good, it's not as good as their spec sheet.

    true - still pretty decent though :)

    just became aware of some dire news over at the widescreen gaming forum
    (www.widescreengamingforum.com). apparently there are problems when
    combining SLI configurations with DVI and widescreen resolutions,
    basically really bad flickering.

    so nVidia's SLI seems to offer great performance improvements for high
    res except when in widescreen mode on a DVI port. seems pretty
    bizare.... hopefully it can be fixed with updated drivers.
    pixel, Mar 12, 2005