Dell produces customized Ubuntu Linux for customers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, Sep 14, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, Sep 14, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Au79

    sittingduck Guest

    Au79 wrote:

    > <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>


    Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    sittingduck, Sep 14, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Au79

    Guest

    sittingduck <> wrote:

    >Au79 wrote:
    >
    >> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>


    >>Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!


    Dell is at least giving people a choice other than the POS Vista. They
    are also offering XP rather than VIsta as well.


    --

    Indian government tries to prove it's religion bogus. withdraws...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6994415.stm
    , Sep 14, 2007
    #3
  4. Au79

    sittingduck Guest

    wrote:

    > Dell is at least giving people a choice other than the POS Vista. They
    > are also offering XP rather than VIsta as well.


    Ok, you have a point there... I'm sick of removing Vista from all my friends'
    new laptops already.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    sittingduck, Sep 14, 2007
    #4
  5. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    Au79 <> wrote in news:Z0xGi.273464$:

    >
    ><http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>
    >


    And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according to
    Walt Mossberg:

    Dell and Canonical tell me there are complex workarounds for some of the
    problems I encountered, and that built-in improvements are planned for
    others. But for now, I still advise mainstream, nontechnical users to avoid
    Linux.

    More here:

    http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable
    Fuzzy Logic, Sep 14, 2007
    #5
  6. Au79

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Z0xGi.273464$>, Au79 <>
    wrote:

    > <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>



    So what? SAY SOMETHING about this, because 'customized' doesn't
    actually amount to anything meaningful or beneficial unless you know
    what is changed and how useful it is.
    Mitch, Sep 14, 2007
    #6
  7. sittingduck wrote:

    [stuff]

    If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 15, 2007
    #7
  8. Au79

    sittingduck Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.


    Thank YOU for raising awareness, and creating the UIP. :)

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
    sittingduck, Sep 15, 2007
    #8
  9. Au79

    Mike Easter Guest

    Fuzzy Logic wrote:

    > And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according
    > to Walt Mossberg:


    > http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable


    This is an article about the Dell Inspiron 1420N with Ubuntu
    pre-installed. I would like to see if Mark Shuttleworth would confirm
    that he told Walt Mossberg:

    // Mark Shuttleworth, the South African-born founder of the Ubuntu
    project, told me this week that "it would be reasonable to say that this
    is not ready for the mass market." //

    I find that doubtful.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 15, 2007
    #9
  10. sittingduck wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

    >
    > Thank YOU for raising awareness, and creating the UIP. :)


    My pleasure, quackful one.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 15, 2007
    #10
  11. sittingduck wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> If I haven't mentioned it, thanks for the link in your sig.

    >
    > Thank YOU for raising awareness, and creating the UIP. :)


    Oh, and...

    Stealing that hat-tip *for* the UIP, unless you say otherwise (since
    you've already let me use other stuff).

    In fact, that moved you to the first Voices page. ;)

    http://improve-usenet.org/voices1.html

    Because your compliment and my respons kinda personalize my efforts
    and I think make the project seem less robotic.


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 15, 2007
    #11
  12. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    >> And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according
    >> to Walt Mossberg:

    >
    >> http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable

    >
    > This is an article about the Dell Inspiron 1420N with Ubuntu
    > pre-installed. I would like to see if Mark Shuttleworth would confirm
    > that he told Walt Mossberg:
    >
    > // Mark Shuttleworth, the South African-born founder of the Ubuntu
    > project, told me this week that "it would be reasonable to say that this
    > is not ready for the mass market." //
    >
    > I find that doubtful.


    I also find it very doubtful.

    I note from the article a comment about "Codecs. The task of downloading and
    installing everything necessary to play audio and video files is a pain."
    You have the idiotic US laws & patent holders to thank for that. As they're
    not applicable in the UK. Searching "codec" in Synaptic finds the packages.

    As a footnote, M$ has threatened to sue some Linux companies because Linux
    and OpenOffice violates 235 patents that it *supposedly* holds. It has also
    said it will not sue businesses which use Linux distributions with which it
    has partnered, such as Novell. However UK lawfirm Moorcrofts, specialising
    in technology law, says M$ "claims" do not hold water under UK law.They say
    M$ only has 51 patent applications in the UK, *including the ones that
    failed*. In the US M$ has 7,336 patents, and applications for 10,761 more.
    Europe has a much more sensible approach to protecting intellectual property
    in software. Europeans use copyright rather than patents.

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0
    PCLinuxOS 2007, (K)Ubuntu 7.04
    Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" alpha - Tribe 5
    William Poaster, Sep 16, 2007
    #12
  13. sittingduck wrote:

    > Au79 wrote:
    >
    >> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

    >
    > Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!


    Now? Why they've been installing POS Windoze on them for a LONG time!

    --
    Operating systems:
    FreeBSD 6.2, Debian 4.0
    PCLinuxOS 2007, (K)Ubuntu 7.04
    Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" alpha - Tribe 5
    William Poaster, Sep 16, 2007
    #13
  14. Au79

    Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Fuzzy Logic wrote:
    >
    > > And it's apparently not ready for mainstream computer users according
    > > to Walt Mossberg:

    >
    > > http://ptech.allthingsd.com/?p=141&ak_action=printable

    >
    > This is an article about the Dell Inspiron 1420N with Ubuntu
    > pre-installed. I would like to see if Mark Shuttleworth would confirm
    > that he told Walt Mossberg:
    >
    > // Mark Shuttleworth, the South African-born founder of the Ubuntu
    > project, told me this week that "it would be reasonable to say that this
    > is not ready for the mass market." //
    >
    > I find that doubtful.


    I believe Ubuntu to be an annoyance for even casual Linux users.
    , Sep 16, 2007
    #14
  15. Au79

    Guest

    William Poaster wrote:
    > sittingduck wrote:
    >
    > > Au79 wrote:
    > >
    > >> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

    > >
    > > Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!

    >
    > Now? Why they've been installing POS Windoze on them for a LONG time!
    >

    Name any non-pos OS Windows they have installed, and any good Linux
    replacement, they have installed?
    , Sep 16, 2007
    #15
  16. Au79

    Guest

    William Poaster wrote:
    > sittingduck wrote:
    >
    > > Au79 wrote:
    > >
    > >> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS6937429363.html>

    > >
    > > Now Dell's POS computers can have a POS desktop OS on them! YAY!

    >
    > Now? Why they've been installing POS Windoze on them for a LONG time!
    >


    What is the Be-All-End-All alternative to windows at this time, for
    default installs?

    I like PcLinuxOs.

    I think ubuntu is difficult for new users.

    What do you think?
    , Sep 16, 2007
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Moonshine
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,625
    Arthur Small
    Sep 16, 2003
  2. Nomen Nescio
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    1,495
    Gary Dale
    May 18, 2006
  3. JnlSeb

    What other produces other than "PC Anywhere"?

    JnlSeb, Jan 8, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    739
    Diehard
    Jan 8, 2004
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    865
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. Clogwog
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    613
    Clogwog
    Apr 29, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page