    sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I just ask for a new
    hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I work with is Dell.
    I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
    kendra, Sep 19, 2005

  2. kendra

    Fred Guest

    "kendra" <> wrote in message
    news:EEtXe.10914$...
    > I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    > now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    > all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    > is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    > monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    > that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    > just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    > work with is Dell.
    > I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
    as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
    viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
    'having problems mean?

    Fred, Sep 19, 2005

  3. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    >> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    >> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    >> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    >> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    >> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    >> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    >> work with is Dell.
    >> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    > Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
    > as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
    > viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
    > 'having problems mean?

    Hi

    Sorry to take so long to reply, I can't always access the internet.

    Problems: about six weeks after I got it, every word became encrypted
    (that's
    the correct term I'm told). Instead of letters for words I had shapes. The
    icons were OK.I posted on here at the time but nothing worked. This was in
    the middle of typing a document and I hadn't changed anything in the
    computer settings. I gave it to an IT guy from work who kept it for 4 weeks
    and returned it in the same condition. Eventually a friend came and created
    a new account for me and that seemed to work. I still have the new and old
    log in accounts.

    A couple of months ago I was unable to start the PC as I was told a
    particular file wasn't there. Can't remember now what it was. Looked on the
    internet, found it was apparently a common problem that every one found
    difficult to resolve. Someone had a solution which resulted in my PC default
    booting up to Windows XP Set up. I have to wait to change the setting to XP
    Home otherwise I'd have to restart.

    Recently I joined Tesco Broadband and got their Internet security CD. Had to
    delete all instances of McAfee and Norton. Multiple crashes as a result, and
    can only boot up to "Last known Good Configuration". I still don't have
    internet security. Internet scans suggest I have no viruses

    My PC is about 4 months old. And its Windows XP Home Edition

    Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
    patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
    about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not resolve
    it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add a
    program. I just want peace of mind.

    I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

    Please advise

    Thanx

    kendra, Sep 19, 2005
  4. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message

    > "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    >> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    >> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    >> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    >> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    >> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    >> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    >> work with is Dell.
    >> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    > Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
    > as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
    > viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
    > 'having problems mean?

    This was the missing file and the advice I used

    From: stan on 07/28/2004
    For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
    1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
    2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
    installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
    4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
    5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
    6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM

    The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is
    misconfigured.
    Any questions Email me
    kendra, Sep 19, 2005
  5. kendra

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:24:03 GMT, kendra wrote:

    >"Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    >>> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    >>> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    >>> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    >>> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if

    It really depends if the problem is software or maybe hardware ,
    harddisk , motherboard , overheating?

    It's possible to pick up a new PC , without monitor , mouse , keyboard
    and so on, either online or from a local shop, keeping your monitor ,
    mouse etc. Most online offers do include XP Home or Pro, but a shop may
    supply a blank hardisk and your XP can go on that.

    However it really depends I assume the Dell XP will only work on a Dell.
    See the comsumer help links below and push for a refund from Dell and
    use that money for the new PC.

    Often with OEM (Dell) type systems the Windows license is tied to the
    single box and non transferable to another box. Which seems to be a bit
    of crap , making one buy another copy making MS more money.

    You could but a new hardisk / XP Home as an OEM bundle, getting XP for a
    lower cost when bought with a necessary bit of hardware.

    You will see the sort of thing
    http://www.misco.co.uk
    in the Windows Operating Systems , product listings , it's XP + hardisk
    HDD cable.

    I used http://ebuyer.co.uk , read the OEM terms, and from the list of
    approved essential hardware selected XP Pro + (cheap) keyboard and paid
    less for XP that way, it saved quite a bit, around GBP £30-40.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66489
    Microsoft OEM Operating system software MUST be purchased with a
    non-peripheral hardware component or fully assembled computer system.
    Non-peripheral hardware consists of a motherboard, graphics card, memory
    module, hard disk, keyboard or mouse. Full retail boxed products must be
    ordered if no hardware/PC system is to accompany the sale.

    You may not get vendor support, I am not too clear on the position
    there, but the sales people at any shop could help with that.

    >>> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I

    If the hardisk is okay in the current PC, sometimes it's easier to put
    in into the new one and copy files that way.

    >>> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    >>> work with is Dell.
    >>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    >> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
    >> as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
    >> viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
    >> 'having problems mean?
    >>>

    >Hi
    >
    >Sorry to take so long to reply, I can't always access the internet.
    >
    >Problems: about six weeks after I got it, every word became encrypted
    >(that's
    >the correct term I'm told). Instead of letters for words I had shapes. The
    >icons were OK.I posted on here at the time but nothing worked. This was in
    >the middle of typing a document and I hadn't changed anything in the
    >computer settings. I gave it to an IT guy from work who kept it for 4 weeks
    >and returned it in the same condition. Eventually a friend came and created
    >a new account for me and that seemed to work. I still have the new and old
    >log in accounts.

    Doesn't sound like a profile issue, but if a new (account) profile was
    created then it could be a corrupt file in the profile.

    At work the user profile folder or as much as possible is copied
    somewhere safe and the profile deleted. The user then logs on and a new
    profile is created.

    >A couple of months ago I was unable to start the PC as I was told a
    >particular file wasn't there. Can't remember now what it was. Looked on the
    >internet, found it was apparently a common problem that every one found
    >difficult to resolve. Someone had a solution which resulted in my PC default
    >booting up to Windows XP Set up. I have to wait to change the setting to XP
    >Home otherwise I'd have to restart.

    Don't understand that bit?

    The startup boot options are in boot.ini , if the PC does boot up for a
    few minures it's possible to change the startup order.

    This file can be edited manually
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
    at the botton of the article, using My Computer | Properties , read the
    bit - Open the Boot.ini File to Verify Changes , and you can set the
    startup order, selecting Win XP first.

    See the picture Startup and Recovery
    http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm
    The picture is a screen shot,

    Startup and Recovery
    System startup
    Default operating system:
    select the line for which option you want to boot 1st.

    >Recently I joined Tesco Broadband and got their Internet security CD. Had to

    If I already have AV etc on a PC I never (or rater in any case) , put on
    any software from an ISP.

    >delete all instances of McAfee and Norton. Multiple crashes as a result, and
    >can only boot up to "Last known Good Configuration". I still don't have

    Not sure how to make the Last known , become the new default as it uses
    some registry changes that the current config may be at fault with
    because of a driver / config issue.
    It's linked to system restore settinga , something I haven't had
    problems with.

    Although I think the next normal restart sould work :) but then again.

    >internet security. Internet scans suggest I have no viruses
    >
    >My PC is about 4 months old. And its Windows XP Home Edition

    What's the Dell warrenty? Even though it's fairly new and doesn't seen
    fit for purpose. IANAL (I am not a laywer) however Dell should still
    replace it or refund, if you used a credit card to pay, ask your cedit
    card company.

    You may also like to try the consumer letters page

    Helping Hand of PCPro www.pcpro.co.uk

    PC Plus Campaign www.pcplus.co.uk or the forum
    http://forum.pcplus.co.uk

    >Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
    >patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
    >about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not resolve
    >it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add a
    >program. I just want peace of mind.
    >
    >I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

    <grin> that's the other way around.

    Me
    why?, Sep 19, 2005
  6. kendra

    Fred Guest

    "kendra" <> wrote in message

    > "Fred" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it.
    >>> I've now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get
    >>> everything all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or
    >>> whatever it is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to
    >>> keep the monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system
    >>> itself if that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my
    >>> files. Do I just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure
    >>> that nothing I work with is Dell.
    >>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    >> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as
    >> good as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there
    >> are no viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What
    >> does 'having problems mean?
    >>>

    > This was the missing file and the advice I used
    >

    > From: stan on 07/28/2004
    > For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
    > 1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
    > 2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    > 3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
    > installation of Windows you want to repair.
    > Typically this will be #1
    > 4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
    > 5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
    > 6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM
    >
    > The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is
    > misconfigured.
    > Any questions Email me

    Rushing out to buy new bits and pieces for your computer seems like buying a
    new engine for your car because it won't start. Get someone to have a look
    at it for you. At four months old you certainly shouldn't need to reac into
    your pocket.

    Fred, Sep 19, 2005
  7. kendra

    PC Guest

    "kendra" <> wrote in message
    > I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    > now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    > all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    > is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    > monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    > that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    > just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    > work with is Dell.
    > I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

    Kendra

    First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
    person you tried at work.
    Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
    hard drive, sick memory)
    If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it replaced.

    If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
    completely reinstall Windows and other software.

    There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
    warranty.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Sep 20, 2005
  8. kendra

    kendra Guest

> [...]

    > What's the Dell warrenty? Even though it's fairly new and doesn't seen
    > fit for purpose. IANAL (I am not a laywer) however Dell should still
    > replace it or refund, if you used a credit card to pay, ask your cedit
    > card company.
    >
    > You may also like to try the consumer letters page
    >
    > Helping Hand of PCPro www.pcpro.co.uk
    >
    > PC Plus Campaign www.pcplus.co.uk or the forum
    > http://forum.pcplus.co.uk
    >
    >>Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
    >>patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
    >>about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not
    >>resolve
    >>it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add
    >>program. I just want peace of mind.
    >>
    >>I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

    OK that's useful. I think I'll print this out and go to Maplin's and see
    what they say then compare with internet prices on the site you gave me
    thank you
    kendra, Sep 20, 2005
  9. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    >> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    >> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    >> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    >> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    >> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    >> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    >> work with is Dell.
    >> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
    >>

    > Kendra
    >
    > First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
    > person you tried at work.
    > Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
    > hard drive, sick memory)
    > If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it
    > replaced.
    >
    > If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
    > completely reinstall Windows and other software.
    >
    > There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
    > warranty.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    I agree I shouldn't have to buy something new but when you need peace of
    mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I'll try dell once again and if no
    luck I'll have to pay I guess. I'm avoiding IT as the guy had it for almost
    a month and I did ask him if I had to buy a new hard drive etc but he
    wasn't sure whereas my brother;s friend sorted it out in less than an hour -
    admittedly by creating a new account - but at least got it working which was
    all I wanted.
    Sounds like the options I have are 1/ talk to Dell and/ or Microsoft, 2/
    Give up and buy new, 3/Get my brother's friend to come over again!
    Thank you all
    xx
    kendra, Sep 20, 2005
  10. kendra

    PC Guest

    "kendra" <> wrote in message

    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >> "kendra" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it.
    >>> I've now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get
    >>> everything all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or
    >>> whatever it is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to
    >>> keep the monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system
    >>> itself if that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my
    >>> files. Do I just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure
    >>> that nothing I work with is Dell.
    >>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
    >>>

    >> Kendra
    >>
    >> First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
    >> person you tried at work.
    >> Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
    >> hard drive, sick memory)
    >> If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it
    >> replaced.
    >>
    >> If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
    >> completely reinstall Windows and other software.
    >>
    >> There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
    >> warranty.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > I agree I shouldn't have to buy something new but when you need peace of
    > mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I'll try dell once again and if no
    > luck I'll have to pay I guess. I'm avoiding IT as the guy had it for
    > almost a month and I did ask him if I had to buy a new hard drive etc but
    > he wasn't sure whereas my brother;s friend sorted it out in less than an
    > hour - admittedly by creating a new account - but at least got it working
    > which was all I wanted.
    > Sounds like the options I have are 1/ talk to Dell and/ or Microsoft, 2/
    > Give up and buy new, 3/Get my brother's friend to come over again!
    > Thank you all
    > xx

    Hi again Kendra

    The fact that your friend had it running ok by just creating another account
    suggests very strongly there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

    I had a reread of your reply to Fred and I get the impression you PC is
    simply suffering from misconfiguration. i.e. software screwups.

    The cause?? ah and this is where I ask you to please accept what I say in
    kindness not critisim.
    The symptoms you describe are very similar to what I see on 'new' PC's with
    new or inexperienced users.
    A slip of the mouse click, not reading on screen messages and clicking OK,
    looking for the one button that does it all, deleting stuff without
    understanding what it is your'e deleting, etc, etc.
    Again I reiterate my comments are offered respectfully, I think you are
    suffering from what is know as a 'Learning Curve'

    So again I say there is no need to buy new hardware, but to take the restore
    disks that came with the machine and do a fresh install of all the software.
    This reinstallation from the restore disks will give you the new "System"
    that you described in your first post.
    Yes you could persist and find out 'exactly' what is corrupt on you present
    installation, however by the time you've done that you could have probably
    reinstalled all your software, retyped all your letters and emails, and made
    a nice roast dinner to boot.

    Any files you have created should be burnt off to a CD or copied to a Flash
    memory stick 'before' you pick up the restore disks, as the full restore
    will wipe all the files/data that is on your hard drive at present.

    Hope this makes things clearer for you
    Paul.
    PC, Sep 20, 2005
  11. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > suffering from what is know as a 'Learning Curve'
    >
    > So again I say there is no need to buy new hardware, but to take the
    > restore disks that came with the machine and do a fresh install of all the
    > software.
    > This reinstallation from the restore disks will give you the new "System"
    > that you described in your first post.
    > Yes you could persist and find out 'exactly' what is corrupt on you
    > present installation, however by the time you've done that you could have
    > probably reinstalled all your software, retyped all your letters and
    > emails, and made a nice roast dinner to boot.
    >
    > Any files you have created should be burnt off to a CD or copied to a
    > Flash memory stick 'before' you pick up the restore disks, as the full
    > restore will wipe all the files/data that is on your hard drive at

    Paul - it is really kind of you to say all that and I'm not offended at all.
    I'm fully aware that I'm an inexperienced user - and I hope to God its all
    my fault - at least then there's hope rather than an enormous system
    problem. I do have a DVD writer and discs so I'll save everything - there is
    a lot including songs and documents over the years. The other thing is - I'm
    curious that's why I'm persisting and why I'm here as well. I'd love to know
    what it is I did to encrypt everything beyond the help of IT Man. I'm almost
    proud of it! I'm saying that because its now working at "Last known Good
    configuration". I won't when it next crashes!
    Thank you again
    kendra, Sep 20, 2005
  12. kendra

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:47:52 GMT, kendra wrote:

    You comment could have gone at the top, despite preferences for top /
    bottom / inline posting, you should try and use <snip>. You reposted 163
    lines , just to add a few lines all the long way down at the bottom.

    >> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:24:03 GMT, kendra wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Fred" <> wrote in message

    >> It really depends if the problem is software or maybe hardware ,
    >> harddisk , motherboard , overheating?

    <very big snip>

    >>>My PC is about 4 months old. And its Windows XP Home Edition

    >> What's the Dell warrenty? Even though it's fairly new and doesn't seen
    >> fit for purpose. IANAL (I am not a laywer) however Dell should still
    >> replace it or refund, if you used a credit card to pay, ask your cedit
    >> card company.

    <snip>

    >>>I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

    >> <grin> that's the other way around.
    >>
    >> Me

    >OK that's useful. I think I'll print this out and go to Maplin's and see
    >what they say then compare with internet prices on the site you gave me
    >thank you

    YW, Maplin do tend to be a bit more expensive than a computer dealer
    (then there are Comet / Currys / PC World / Dixon chain type of shop,
    which I don't use)

    Me
    why?, Sep 20, 2005
  13. kendra

    kendra Guest

    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 02:47:52 GMT, kendra wrote:
    >
    > You comment could have gone at the top, despite preferences for top /
    > bottom / inline posting, you should try and use <snip>. You reposted 163
    > lines , just to add a few lines all the long way down at the bottom.

    Is that better? lol!

    <snip>

    >>OK that's useful. I think I'll print this out and go to Maplin's and see
    >>what they say then compare with internet prices on the site you gave me
    >>thank you

    > YW, Maplin do tend to be a bit more expensive than a computer dealer
    > (then there are Comet / Currys / PC World / Dixon chain type of shop,
    > which I don't use)
    >
    > Me

    Thank you all for everything. Ill post back in a couple of days to feed
    back if I'm any further forward. I really appreciate all the generous input
    from you and everyone here
    xx
    kendra, Sep 20, 2005
  14. kendra

    PC Guest

    "
    > Paul - it is really kind of you to say all that and I'm not offended at
    > all. I'm fully aware that I'm an inexperienced user - and I hope to God
    > its all my fault - at least then there's hope rather than an enormous
    > system problem. I do have a DVD writer and discs so I'll save everything -
    > there is a lot including songs and documents over the years. The other
    > thing is - I'm curious that's why I'm persisting and why I'm here as well.
    > I'd love to know what it is I did to encrypt everything beyond the help of
    > IT Man. I'm almost proud of it! I'm saying that because its now working at
    > "Last known Good configuration". I won't when it next crashes!
    > Thank you again

    Kendra

    One last thought.
    If you are keen to get to 'learn' then may I suggest you 'acquire' another
    Hard drive and 'experiment' with that in place of the original Dell one.
    It wouldn't have to be to big, probably 10 or 20GB would be enough.
    Just don't activate windows, & use the 30 days grace to have a play.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Sep 21, 2005
  15. kendra

    Steve B. Guest

    kendra wrote:
    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"kendra" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
    >>>now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
    >>>all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
    >>>is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
    >>>monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
    >>>that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
    >>>just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
    >>>work with is Dell.
    >>>I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
    >>>

    >>Kendra
    >>
    >>First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
    >>person you tried at work.
    >>Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
    >>hard drive, sick memory)
    >>If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it
    >>replaced.
    >>
    >>If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
    >>completely reinstall Windows and other software.
    >>
    >>There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
    >>warranty.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Paul.
    >>

    > I agree I shouldn't have to buy something new but when you need peace of
    > mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I'll try dell once again and if no
    > luck I'll have to pay I guess. I'm avoiding IT as the guy had it for almost
    > a month and I did ask him if I had to buy a new hard drive etc but he
    > wasn't sure whereas my brother;s friend sorted it out in less than an hour -
    > admittedly by creating a new account - but at least got it working which was
    > all I wanted.
    > Sounds like the options I have are 1/ talk to Dell and/ or Microsoft, 2/
    > Give up and buy new, 3/Get my brother's friend to come over again!
    > Thank you all
    > xx

    Get your brothers friend over again. lol. serious.
    Steve B., Sep 22, 2005
  16. kendra

    Steve B. Guest

    I suppose you could install Mandriva on a Dell system ?

    That would be another option.
    Steve B., Sep 22, 2005
  17. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "Steve B." <> wrote in message
    > Get your brothers friend over again. lol. serious.

    Definitely! I'll show him these posts and discuss it with him
    xx
    kendra, Sep 22, 2005
  18. kendra

    kendra Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > "
    >> Paul - it is really kind of you to say all that and I'm not offended at
    >> all. I'm fully aware that I'm an inexperienced user - and I hope to God
    >> its all my fault - at least then there's hope rather than an enormous
    >> system problem. I do have a DVD writer and discs so I'll save
    >> everything - there is a lot including songs and documents over the years.
    >> The other thing is - I'm curious that's why I'm persisting and why I'm
    >> here as well. I'd love to know what it is I did to encrypt everything
    >> beyond the help of IT Man. I'm almost proud of it! I'm saying that
    >> because its now working at "Last known Good configuration". I won't when
    >> it next crashes!
    >> Thank you again
    >>

    > Kendra
    >
    > One last thought.
    > If you are keen to get to 'learn' then may I suggest you 'acquire' another
    > Hard drive and 'experiment' with that in place of the original Dell one.
    > It wouldn't have to be to big, probably 10 or 20GB would be enough.
    > Just don't activate windows, & use the 30 days grace to have a play.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    That's an option but will need to have more time on my hands than I do now.
    That's why my first thought was get rid of this and get another! Got to get
    some exams out of the way
    thank you all
    xx

    kendra, Sep 22, 2005
  19. kendra

    Guest

    Hey Dude,

    Give me the name of the model of the portable you have bought and the
    invoice date. also pls give me the service tag and i would be more than
    glab to help ya. My Email Add is and be rest assured
    if it is under warrenty we will get you rid of all the problem on your
    Dell portables.
    Regards
    Vikas
    , Oct 18, 2005
  20. kendra

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey Dude,
    >
    > Give me the name of the model of the portable you have bought and the
    > invoice date. also pls give me the service tag and i would be more than
    > glab to help ya. My Email Add is and be rest assured
    > if it is under warrenty we will get you rid of all the problem on your
    > Dell portables.
    > Regards
    > Vikas

    Attention to whomever this person is responding to:

    Do not give this person any of your personal information regarding your
    computer. This is a trick and you will pay for it if you ever do this
    sort of thing.

    Alt
    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 18, 2005