    particular printer I would appreciate it. Maybe I can get 50 bucks for it in
    the local trading post.
    Thanks
    LRESA500, Jun 30, 2004

  2. LRESA500

    Jerry G. Guest

    The Dell printers are made for them by other companies. I am sure you will
    be able to get the cartridges most anywhere. There should be an equivalent
    in the original manufacture, unless Dell had something custom made for them.
    They go with whoever gives them the best contract agreement. It is a very
    low end printer for that amount of money.

    You will find that with any of these packages you will get a lot of odds and
    ends that you really don't need, and are part of the cost.

    Why are you not having a PC custom built for you? This way you can choose
    how you want it, and what you want inside.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    I am on the verge of purchasing a new Dell computer. They want to give me a
    free Dell A-920 printer. I don't really want it since I have 2 nice HP
    printers. My wife says "What the hell? Take it. It's free." That's good
    advice
    but I'm sure the only reason their giving it away (or sell it for a mere
    $89)
    is to get you to buy ink cartridges from Dell. I doubt if Wall-Mart sells
    Dell
    ink cartridges.
    Anyway if anyone would like to offer their comments on the quality of this
    Jerry G., Jun 30, 2004

  3. LRESA500

    HF Guest

    Build your own PC, and by the way, HP cartridges are not exactly low price.
    (Didnt Dell and HP merge ?)
    "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    > I am on the verge of purchasing a new Dell computer. They want to give me

    > free Dell A-920 printer. I don't really want it since I have 2 nice HP
    > printers. My wife says "What the hell? Take it. It's free." That's good

    advice
    > but I'm sure the only reason their giving it away (or sell it for a mere

    $89)
    > is to get you to buy ink cartridges from Dell. I doubt if Wall-Mart sells

    Dell
    > ink cartridges.
    > Anyway if anyone would like to offer their comments on the quality of this
    > particular printer I would appreciate it. Maybe I can get 50 bucks for it

    in
    > the local trading post.
    > Thanks

    ---
    HF, Jun 30, 2004
  4. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Build your own PC, and by the way, HP cartridges are not exactly low

    price.
    > (Didnt Dell and HP merge ?)

    No. HP bought out Compaq.
    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  5. LRESA500

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I can get Epson black and colour cartridges for £ 3 each.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 30, 2004
  6. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    > I am on the verge of purchasing a new Dell computer. They want to give me

    > free Dell A-920 printer. I don't really want it since I have 2 nice HP
    > printers. My wife says "What the hell? Take it. It's free." That's good

    advice
    > but I'm sure the only reason their giving it away (or sell it for a mere

    $89)
    > is to get you to buy ink cartridges from Dell. I doubt if Wall-Mart sells

    Dell
    > ink cartridges.
    > Anyway if anyone would like to offer their comments on the quality of this
    > particular printer I would appreciate it. Maybe I can get 50 bucks for it

    in
    > the local trading post.
    > Thanks

    Just an FYI, Lexmark makes Dell's printers. Unless Dell has had them
    engineered to take a unique cartridge, you may find that Lexmark brand
    cartridges will fit it. However Lexmark replacement carts are usually some
    of the most expensive on the market. I'd sell the Dell printer to someone,
    and keep using your HPs. Unless you wanted to keep the Dell printer as a
    backup or something.
    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  7. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    refills, or factory new ones? Even at the US/British exchange rate that
    would be exceptional for new cartridges. We pay about $25 for epson carts
    here.

    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  8. LRESA500

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I go to computer fairs at the end of every month and you can get almost
    everything there half the price that you would pay in shops, it is
    absolutely legal it just cut's out the middle man, so your going to get
    stuff allot cheaper.

    And yes they are new ink cartridges.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 30, 2004
  9. LRESA500

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > refills, or factory new ones? Even at the US/British exchange rate that
    > would be exceptional for new cartridges. We pay about $25 for epson carts
    > here.

    I buy generic Epson Stylus COLOR 800 cartridges for $4.50 black and
    $6.50 color. They seem to work just as well as the genuine Epson ones.
    One reason they are so cheap is that they don't include the print
    heads, as do the HP ones. The printer is over four years old and still
    runs fine. It goes through a strange routine every time it's turned on
    which seems mainly to spray ink! It also make all sorts of mechanical
    noises, which don't do much except to move the heads. As long as it
    keeps on printing, I can't complain!:)

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    VWWall, Jun 30, 2004
  10. Thor wrote:
    > "LRESA500" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am on the verge of purchasing a new Dell computer. They want to give me

    >>free Dell A-920 printer. I don't really want it since I have 2 nice HP
    >>printers. My wife says "What the hell? Take it. It's free." That's good

    > advice
    >
    >>but I'm sure the only reason their giving it away (or sell it for a mere

    > $89)
    >
    >>is to get you to buy ink cartridges from Dell. I doubt if Wall-Mart sells

    > Dell
    >
    >>ink cartridges.
    >>Anyway if anyone would like to offer their comments on the quality of this
    >>particular printer I would appreciate it. Maybe I can get 50 bucks for it

    > in
    >
    >>the local trading post.
    >>Thanks

    > Just an FYI, Lexmark makes Dell's printers. Unless Dell has had them
    > engineered to take a unique cartridge, you may find that Lexmark brand
    > cartridges will fit it. However Lexmark replacement carts are usually some
    > of the most expensive on the market. I'd sell the Dell printer to someone,
    > and keep using your HPs. Unless you wanted to keep the Dell printer as a
    > backup or something.

    Info I ran across some months back-don't remember where so I won't swear
    it's correct-is that Dell *did* have the printers engineered to take a
    unique cartridge. Not sure that there's any physical difference, but it
    appears that there's a difference in the ID chip embedded in the
    cartridges because I recall being told that the printers required Dell
    cartridges.
    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 30, 2004
  11. LRESA500 wrote:

    > I am on the verge of purchasing a new Dell computer. They want to give me a
    > free Dell A-920 printer. I don't really want it since I have 2 nice HP
    > printers. My wife says "What the hell? Take it. It's free." That's good advice
    > but I'm sure the only reason their giving it away (or sell it for a mere $89)
    > is to get you to buy ink cartridges from Dell. I doubt if Wall-Mart sells Dell
    > ink cartridges.
    > Anyway if anyone would like to offer their comments on the quality of this
    > particular printer I would appreciate it. Maybe I can get 50 bucks for it in
    > the local trading post.
    > Thanks

    Make sure that 'free' includes shipping. Around here I figure I'd be
    lucky to get $30 for it even 'NIB' & that might not even cover shipping.
    (No ground shipping available to my location.) If you have time then you
    might check prices on eBay.
    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 30, 2004
  12. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    "VWWall" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > > refills, or factory new ones? Even at the US/British exchange rate that
    > > would be exceptional for new cartridges. We pay about $25 for epson

    carts
    > > here.

    > I buy generic Epson Stylus COLOR 800 cartridges for $4.50 black and
    > $6.50 color. They seem to work just as well as the genuine Epson ones.

    Yeah, I know the generics are cheap, but that's why I asked Lloyd if he was
    getting generics or factory Epson carts.

    > One reason they are so cheap is that they don't include the print
    > heads, as do the HP ones. The printer is over four years old and still
    > runs fine. It goes through a strange routine every time it's turned on
    > which seems mainly to spray ink! It also make all sorts of mechanical
    > noises, which don't do much except to move the heads. As long as it
    > keeps on printing, I can't complain!:)

    What it's doing is a head cleaning routine, and it does waste a tremendous
    amount of ink. Many Epson models do this automatically every so many
    powerups, or every powerup if it has been awhile between printings. They do
    this because the fixed epson printheads have a tendancy to clog, and if the
    clogs aren't cleared in a timely fashion they become so severe that you may
    as well toss the printer in the trash. It's kind of a preventative solution
    on Epson's part to help prevent clogs, but the problem is the amount of ink
    wasted because of it. If you take that printer apart, you'll find a large
    felt sponge that runs the whole length of the printer, and I bet it is
    literally saturated with ink. There is a tube that drains off the excess ink
    spray during the the cleaning routine, and it drains into that felt sponge
    at the bottom. Probably several cartridges-worth of ink in there.
    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  13. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    > > Just an FYI, Lexmark makes Dell's printers. Unless Dell has had them
    > > engineered to take a unique cartridge, you may find that Lexmark brand
    > > cartridges will fit it. However Lexmark replacement carts are usually

    some
    > > of the most expensive on the market. I'd sell the Dell printer to

    someone,
    > > and keep using your HPs. Unless you wanted to keep the Dell printer as a
    > > backup or something.
    > >

    > Info I ran across some months back-don't remember where so I won't swear
    > it's correct-is that Dell *did* have the printers engineered to take a
    > unique cartridge. Not sure that there's any physical difference, but it
    > appears that there's a difference in the ID chip embedded in the
    > cartridges because I recall being told that the printers required Dell
    > cartridges.

    figures that they would do something lame like that.
    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  14. LRESA500

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Thor , The ink cartridges I buy don't come in the fancy box's like the one's
    buy in the shop, but I haven't had any bit's of ink on my print outs and for
    £3 for both colour and black you can't complain. What's £6 in $, about
    $10.50?

    I've been buying these Epson cartridges from the computer fair for years now
    and haven't any problems with them.

    Plus it's saved me hundreds by now.

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jun 30, 2004
  15. LRESA500

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "VWWall" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Thor wrote:
    >>
    >>>refills, or factory new ones? Even at the US/British exchange rate that
    >>>would be exceptional for new cartridges. We pay about $25 for epson

    > carts
    >
    >>>here.

    >>I buy generic Epson Stylus COLOR 800 cartridges for $4.50 black and
    >>$6.50 color. They seem to work just as well as the genuine Epson ones.

    > Yeah, I know the generics are cheap, but that's why I asked Lloyd if he was
    > getting generics or factory Epson carts.
    >

    >> One reason they are so cheap is that they don't include the print
    >>heads, as do the HP ones. The printer is over four years old and still
    >>runs fine. It goes through a strange routine every time it's turned on
    >>which seems mainly to spray ink! It also make all sorts of mechanical
    >>noises, which don't do much except to move the heads. As long as it
    >>keeps on printing, I can't complain!:)

    > What it's doing is a head cleaning routine, and it does waste a tremendous
    > amount of ink. Many Epson models do this automatically every so many
    > powerups, or every powerup if it has been awhile between printings. They do
    > this because the fixed epson printheads have a tendancy to clog, and if the
    > clogs aren't cleared in a timely fashion they become so severe that you may
    > as well toss the printer in the trash. It's kind of a preventative solution
    > on Epson's part to help prevent clogs, but the problem is the amount of ink
    > wasted because of it. If you take that printer apart, you'll find a large
    > felt sponge that runs the whole length of the printer, and I bet it is
    > literally saturated with ink. There is a tube that drains off the excess ink
    > spray during the the cleaning routine, and it drains into that felt sponge
    > at the bottom. Probably several cartridges-worth of ink in there.

    The logic is not very good. It will sometimes start a head clean
    routine, even if the printer is being used every few minutes. It just
    holds up the print until it's done its thing. (It's probably very good
    logic for Epson if you're using their cartridges!) ;-)

    I've not quite "taken it apart", but have "opened it up" several times.
    The felt sponge is only under the parked position of the heads, and it
    does get a lot of ink! Maybe that's what all the noise is about --
    getting the heads to where they won't do too much damage.

    Incidentally, the mechanical construction is somewhat flimsy, not like
    my old Epson MC-100 or even the newer LQ-570+. I damaged a connecting
    ribbon cable and had to carefully solder in a wire to repair it. The
    distributors didn't even carry parts down to that level.

    All in all, I've been pretty happy with my Epsons over the last twenty
    three years! Just wish they'd make 'em like they used to! :)

    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Jun 30, 2004
  16. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    > The logic is not very good. It will sometimes start a head clean
    > routine, even if the printer is being used every few minutes. It just
    > holds up the print until it's done its thing. (It's probably very good
    > logic for Epson if you're using their cartridges!) ;-)

    I agree, they sometimes don't have any rhyme or reason as to when they run
    that damn cleaning routine. Does kind of make you wonder if it isn't partly
    to empty the ink tanks a tad early. (conspiracy gears turning *clankity
    clankity*) heh, heh.

    > I've not quite "taken it apart", but have "opened it up" several times.
    > The felt sponge is only under the parked position of the heads, and it

    That is just the little sponge that the heads get wiped across, and where
    they rest when not printing. That isn't the BIG sponge that lines the bottom
    that I was referring to. You can't see that one unless you really take the
    sucker apart, but there's a little tube/hose that connects to the bottom of
    where the little head sponge sits, to drain the excess ink to the bottom of
    the printer where the big felt sponge is. I have a Stylus Photo 740, and
    that's the one I dissasembled. It should be substantially similar to the
    800.
    Thor, Jun 30, 2004
  17. LRESA500

    VWWall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    >>The logic is not very good. It will sometimes start a head clean
    >>routine, even if the printer is being used every few minutes. It just
    >>holds up the print until it's done its thing. (It's probably very good
    >>logic for Epson if you're using their cartridges!) ;-)

    > I agree, they sometimes don't have any rhyme or reason as to when they run
    > that damn cleaning routine. Does kind of make you wonder if it isn't partly
    > to empty the ink tanks a tad early. (conspiracy gears turning *clankity
    > clankity*) heh, heh.
    >

    >>I've not quite "taken it apart", but have "opened it up" several times.
    >>The felt sponge is only under the parked position of the heads, and it

    > That is just the little sponge that the heads get wiped across, and where
    > they rest when not printing. That isn't the BIG sponge that lines the bottom
    > that I was referring to. You can't see that one unless you really take the
    > sucker apart, but there's a little tube/hose that connects to the bottom of
    > where the little head sponge sits, to drain the excess ink to the bottom of
    > the printer where the big felt sponge is. I have a Stylus Photo 740, and
    > that's the one I dissasembled. It should be substantially similar to the
    > 800.

    I have a refrigerator that drains the condensate to a pan on the floor.
    It has a heater in it to evaporate the water. Wonder if Epson does that
    with the surplus ink? :)

    Virg Wall
    VWWall, Jul 1, 2004
  18. LRESA500

    Thor Guest

    > I have a refrigerator that drains the condensate to a pan on the floor.
    > It has a heater in it to evaporate the water. Wonder if Epson does that
    > with the surplus ink? :)

    No heater I am aware of. :) It just fills up with ink, and any reduction in
    volume is whatever moisture evaporates to the ambient air. I washed the
    thing out, and you wouldn't believe how much time and constant rinsing and
    wringing it took to get most of the ink out of those felt pads. There are
    like 4 of them stacked in layers. In the end, I still didn't get all of the
    ink out. You could run it under a faucet now, and it would probably still
    run out the end in very deep inky color.
    Thor, Jul 1, 2004