Dell Precision Windows xp64 SCSI 2nd hard drive problems.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by David Manvell, Dec 25, 2007.

  1. I have a Precision 670 Dell computer that is running Windows XP 64. The Dell
    has a Seagate ST3146854LW 136GB SCSI drive in it. The system has been running
    fine although I am running out of disk space and will also be moving over to
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate shortly.

    I purchased a new (From Seagate) ST3300655LW 300GB SCSI hard drive and added
    it to my system. The 136GB original drive is SCSI ID 0 and the new 300GB
    drive is SCSI ID 1. The new drive is the exact same line of drive as my
    original one, it's just a larger version.

    My system boots up fine and Disk Management sees the new drive. I created a
    single partition the same size as the original drive that came with my
    computer (136GB).

    The partition formats fine from within Disk Management. Formated NTFS,
    Default Allocation Unit size. Not using quick format and not using
    compression.

    Once the drive is formatted I am able to copy files to it but only a few
    ones. Any attempt to copy lots of files (20+) results in the drive hanging
    and locking up the computer.

    No problems seem to be occuring with the old drive.

    Suggestions?

    David Manvell, Dec 25, 2007

  2. If they're both off the same controller, I'd figure you need a new drive.
    Certainly verify the SCSI cabling and the termination. (If you were to plug
    a drive in AFTER the termination, you could have this behaviour. So make
    sure that the termination is only turned on at the last drive, or via and
    external terminator at the end of the cable.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 25, 2007

  3. Yes same controller. An Adaptec Embedded SCSI HostRAID Controller. Not set up
    as a raid.

    David Manvell

    David Manvell, Dec 25, 2007
  4. definitely verify the termination. I'd wager that the cable, if it came from
    Dell, has a termination on it. But if that first SCSI drive could also have
    termination enabled. And the new Seagate will come with it enabled by
    default. You can only have ONE termination on each end of the chain. That
    can be the last drive in the chain, or a termination built into the cable,
    on one end. The other end will be terminated by the controller.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 25, 2007
  5. Yes the scsi controller is set to terminate it on it's side according to the
    scsi utilities. The ribbon cable has a termination on the other end. I will
    check and make sure the second drive does not have any termination built into
    it. I don't think it does though as it came with no jumpers at all (Had to
    get one off an old drive to set the new drive's ID to 1).

    Can termination be enabled via software on the drive itself somehow? How do
    i check that? It would be via a jumper somewhere correct?

    Dave

    David Manvell, Dec 25, 2007
  6. According to the scsi HD manual, both of those drives do not have any
    internal termination at all. They require external termination. Does not look
    like that is it :(

    Dave

    David Manvell, Dec 25, 2007
  7. well, two possibilities - one is lousy termination - but honestly, I don't
    expect it. The last Dell I saw had a decent active terminator on the cable.
    The other possibility is a bad drive. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 25, 2007
  8. not mine - I never touch Dell machines

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 28, 2007
  9. > Can your system controller handle two?

    Yep. Confirmed. Can handle a ton of drives. It is a raid controller although
    raid is set to off.

    > Have you looked to see whether they both have the same firmware?

    Confirmed.

    > through Seagate's Seatools Enterprise utility. The Cheetah 15K.5, however,
    > Did you try running SeaTools?

    None of the Seagate utilities will work with 64 bit OSs unfortunately.

    Seagate tech support ran out of ideas and told me to replace the drive so i
    have a new one being shipped in. We shall see if it works or not.

    Dave

    David Manvell, Dec 31, 2007