Dell Poweredge Server

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob J, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    If I read this page:

    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/enterprise_nz?
    c=nz&l=en&s=bsd

    On the left there is
    "PowerEdgeTM SC430
    Dual-Core Tower Server
    Bullet Intel® Celeron® D Processor 326 (2.53GHz, 256KB L2 cache,
    533MHz FSB)"

    etc.

    In the fine print of this page
    http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/featuresdetails.aspx/pedge_sc43
    0_nz?c=nz&l=en&s=bsd&~lt=popup&~tab=specstab

    I find it is only dual core if the Intel Pentium D CPU is purchased.

    Is there actually no Celeron dual core option or none of the other CPUs
    offered with this model
    i.e. it is only dual core if you purchase the right CPU option.

    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Rob J

    Mark Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:54:09 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:

    >If I read this page:
    >
    >http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/enterprise_nz?
    >c=nz&l=en&s=bsd
    >
    >On the left there is
    >"PowerEdgeTM SC430
    >Dual-Core Tower Server
    >Bullet Intel® Celeron® D Processor 326 (2.53GHz, 256KB L2 cache,
    >533MHz FSB)"
    >
    >etc.
    >
    >In the fine print of this page
    >http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/featuresdetails.aspx/pedge_sc43
    >0_nz?c=nz&l=en&s=bsd&~lt=popup&~tab=specstab
    >
    >I find it is only dual core if the Intel Pentium D CPU is purchased.
    >
    >Is there actually no Celeron dual core option or none of the other CPUs
    >offered with this model
    >i.e. it is only dual core if you purchase the right CPU option.

    How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    called a "server"?

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Rob J

    Mark Guest

    >I find it is only dual core if the Intel Pentium D CPU is purchased.
    >
    >Is there actually no Celeron dual core option or none of the other CPUs
    >offered with this model
    >i.e. it is only dual core if you purchase the right CPU option.

    Yeah the Celeron isn't dual core..

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:54:09 +1300, Rob J <> wrote:
    >
    > >If I read this page:
    > >
    > >http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/enterprise_nz?
    > >c=nz&l=en&s=bsd
    > >
    > >On the left there is
    > >"PowerEdgeTM SC430
    > >Dual-Core Tower Server
    > >Bullet Intel® Celeron® D Processor 326 (2.53GHz, 256KB L2 cache,
    > >533MHz FSB)"
    > >
    > >etc.
    > >
    > >In the fine print of this page
    > >http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/featuresdetails.aspx/pedge_sc43
    > >0_nz?c=nz&l=en&s=bsd&~lt=popup&~tab=specstab
    > >
    > >I find it is only dual core if the Intel Pentium D CPU is purchased.
    > >
    > >Is there actually no Celeron dual core option or none of the other CPUs
    > >offered with this model
    > >i.e. it is only dual core if you purchase the right CPU option.

    > How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    > called a "server"?

    You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.

    But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    hardware specs before it is called a server.

    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Rob J

    Mark Guest

    >> How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    >> called a "server"?

    >You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.
    >
    >But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    >hardware specs before it is called a server.

    Yeah thats what I was getting at . I can imagine (cheapass)
    buisnesses buying this then wondering why it doesn't perform like a
    higher-end *proper* server :)

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Rob J

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:05:44 +1300, Mark wrote:

    >>> How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    >>> called a "server"?

    >>You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.
    >>
    >>But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    >>hardware specs before it is called a server.
    >>

    > Yeah thats what I was getting at . I can imagine (cheapass)
    > buisnesses buying this then wondering why it doesn't perform like a
    > higher-end *proper* server :)

    It would perform perfectly satisfactorily as a server. Most of the grunt
    in a desktop is aimed at the graphical display, which is not needed in a
    display.

    However, don't for one minute think I'm defending it - an appalling bit
    of advertising - but I do have a number of 1.8GHz Celeron based servers
    that perform their function perfectly well. Mind you, none have a single
    hard disk.

    Steve.

    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >> How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    > >> called a "server"?

    > >You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.
    > >
    > >But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    > >hardware specs before it is called a server.
    > >

    > Yeah thats what I was getting at . I can imagine (cheapass)
    > buisnesses buying this then wondering why it doesn't perform like a
    > higher-end *proper* server :)

    On Linux it's more than enough.

    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    d says...

    > >>You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.
    > >>
    > >>But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    > >>hardware specs before it is called a server.
    > >>

    > > Yeah thats what I was getting at . I can imagine (cheapass)
    > > buisnesses buying this then wondering why it doesn't perform like a
    > > higher-end *proper* server :)

    > It would perform perfectly satisfactorily as a server. Most of the grunt
    > in a desktop is aimed at the graphical display, which is not needed in a
    > display.
    >
    > However, don't for one minute think I'm defending it - an appalling bit
    > of advertising - but I do have a number of 1.8GHz Celeron based servers
    > that perform their function perfectly well. Mind you, none have a single
    > hard disk.

    This one has three, is that enough for you?

    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Rob J

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:47:55 +1300, Rob J wrote:

    [snip]

    >> However, don't for one minute think I'm defending it - an appalling bit
    >> of advertising - but I do have a number of 1.8GHz Celeron based servers
    >> that perform their function perfectly well. Mind you, none have a single
    >> hard disk.

    > This one has three, is that enough for you?

    ....as long as there's some redundancy :)

    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Rob J

    Enkidu Guest

    Mark wrote:
    >>>How can a Celeron, with a single hard drive (ie no Raid mirror) be
    >>>called a "server"?

    >>You can put in a second hard drive and do software RAID.
    >>
    >>But the point is that a server doesn't have to have a minimum of
    >>hardware specs before it is called a server.
    >>

    > Yeah thats what I was getting at . I can imagine (cheapass)
    > buisnesses buying this then wondering why it doesn't perform like a
    > higher-end *proper* server :)

    I've run some sites on 233MHz machines with less than 128MB. The Dell is
    quite adequate for running smallish Web sites.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 17, 2006