Dell PowerEdge 4400 & Perc 3/Di Questions/Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RaleighExtreme, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Hello

    We have a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with Dell Perc 3/D

    The BIOS on the PE is version 1

    The firmware on the Perc 3/DI is the 1st version and we are havin
    trouble upgrading it

    Tried to upgrade it to 2.5 with the floppies and the software said i
    worked but upon reboot nothing but errors stating the kernel woul
    not load. When going back to the original firmware - everythin
    works fine

    What is the best way to upgrade the firmware and are we missin
    something

    Next issue - We have a total of 10 drives on the system

    In the dual bays on channel 0 - two quantum atlas 8GB drives runnin
    raid
    The other 8 drives (seagate 9GB drives) we are running RAID 10

    One of the drives in the 8-drive array failed and we pulled out th
    old one and replaced it with the exact same model. We had t
    actually shut the system down - initialize the new drive - set it a
    the failover for container 1 and only then did it start rebuilding

    Isn't there any easier way to do this? The OS we are running i
    Server 200

    System is Dual Xeon 866Mhz with 2GB Ram

    Thanks in advance for the advis

    RaleighExtreme, Aug 18, 2005