    be the problem? Has anyone else heard this, or had an actual experience
    with this?

    ~AA
    Alyce Addertongue, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Alyce Addertongue

    Jim Guest

    "Alyce Addertongue" <> wrote in message
    news:Vp9Zg.8046$...
    > The power supply on my Dell Dimension 4550 recently gave up the ghost
    > (with sparks and smoke and all), and in order to determine if there was
    > any other damage, I need to install a new supply, but I'd rather not wait
    > the several weeks required to get one from Dell. When I went down to
    > CompUSA, several salespeople warned me along the lines of "If you put in
    > a non-Dell supply, it'll fry your motherboard."
    >
    > (Actually, my motherboard may already be fried, but this is the only way I
    > know of to find out...)
    >
    > Now, I have some experience with DC power supplies from my radio hobby
    > days, and to me, that doesn't sound right: the voltages are all correct,
    > and if I get a larger 400w supply (original was 250 watts) all the current
    > ratings are equal to or larger than the requirements on the original. So
    > what would be the problem? Has anyone else heard this, or had an actual
    > experience with this?
    >
    > ~AA

    Never heard of checking a connector or polarity ? A big clue - why do you
    think the power connectors will be the same on a dell?
    Jim, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Alyce Addertongue

    Patrick Guest

    I replaced the power supply on my Dell Dimension 4600 with an off-the shelf
    supply from Fry's with absolutely no problems. Like you, I didn't want to
    wait.

    My guess is that what you were told may have been true many years ago, but
    not any more. All or most Dell hardware is now industry standard.

    --Patrick

    Patrick, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Alyce Addertongue

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:37:41 +0000, Alyce Addertongue Has Frothed:

    > The power supply on my Dell Dimension 4550 recently gave up the ghost
    > (with sparks and smoke and all), and in order to determine if there was
    > any other damage, I need to install a new supply, but I'd rather not wait
    > the several weeks required to get one from Dell. When I went down to
    > CompUSA, several salespeople warned me along the lines of "If you put in
    > a non-Dell supply, it'll fry your motherboard."
    >
    > (Actually, my motherboard may already be fried, but this is the only way I
    > know of to find out...)
    >
    > Now, I have some experience with DC power supplies from my radio hobby
    > days, and to me, that doesn't sound right: the voltages are all correct,
    > and if I get a larger 400w supply (original was 250 watts) all the current
    > ratings are equal to or larger than the requirements on the original. So
    > what would be the problem? Has anyone else heard this, or had an actual
    > experience with this?

    My vast experience with Dell desktops and workstations say the Dell PSU
    has propritary connectors.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Alyce Addertongue

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:47:26 +0000, Patrick Has Frothed:

    > I replaced the power supply on my Dell Dimension 4600 with an off-the
    > shelf supply from Fry's with absolutely no problems. Like you, I didn't
    > want to wait.
    >
    > My guess is that what you were told may have been true many years ago, but
    > not any more. All or most Dell hardware is now industry standard.

    Have a Dell about 8 months old sitting here gathering dust. My Homebrew
    Intel box with the same specs as the Dell decided to upchuck its PSU.
    Could not use the PSU from the Dell. I've got 3 dells sitting downstairs
    in the shop from 3 different eras and not a one of them can interchange
    with an OEM PSU. Not saying you are lying but you're more of the exception
    than the rule.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Alyce Addertongue

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Tue, 17 Oct
    2006 18:37:41 GMT, and "Alyce Addertongue" <> vomited
    forth this bit of wisdom :

    >The power supply on my Dell Dimension 4550 recently gave up the ghost (with
    >sparks and smoke and all), and in order to determine if there was any other
    >damage, I need to install a new supply, but I'd rather not wait the several
    >weeks required to get one from Dell. When I went down to CompUSA, several
    >salespeople warned me along the lines of "If you put in a non-Dell supply,
    >it'll fry your motherboard."
    >
    >(Actually, my motherboard may already be fried, but this is the only way I
    >know of to find out...)
    >
    >Now, I have some experience with DC power supplies from my radio hobby days,
    >and to me, that doesn't sound right: the voltages are all correct, and if I
    >get a larger 400w supply (original was 250 watts) all the current ratings
    >are equal to or larger than the requirements on the original. So what would
    >be the problem? Has anyone else heard this, or had an actual experience
    >with this?
    >
    >~AA

    I have a Dell PS-5201-7D power supply that you can have for free if
    you'll email me offlist and gimme a snail mail addy & pay the postage.
    It's only 200 watts but you'll know right away if your MB's fried.

    Frosty
    Frosty, Oct 18, 2006
  7. Alyce Addertongue

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 20:15:04 +0100, "Jim"
    <> wrote:

    >Never heard of checking a connector or polarity ? A big clue - why do you
    >think the power connectors will be the same on a dell?

    Well, most power supplies in the U.S. are positive center but there
    are certainly enough exceptions to make checking necessary. I believe
    a lot of Sony radios have negative center conductors. Might not that
    info be found in a service manual PDF at Dell.com?

    Tester, Oct 18, 2006
  8. Thank you, everyone. There was just enough doubt in my mind that I decided
    to wait for an OEM supply. I'm leaving town for the weekend, so hopefully
    "overnight" shipping will have it waiting on my desk when I get back... My
    concern was that I couldn't get the nameplate current ratings on the
    replacement to match the OEM exactly enough for my peace of mind, frazzled
    as it is.

    I finally managed to get a Dell tech on their chat page, who gave me a
    little insight into why the connectors are sometimes non-interchangeable -
    Dell's motherboards and PSUs come matched by the vendor. To prevent
    screwups if they have to change vendors in the middle of a model season,
    perhaps switching to a motherboard with slightly different power
    requirements, they make the connectors unique - sometimes. I guess
    idiot-proofing is pretty important to a company that assembles millions of
    similar computers each month. If the connectors are standard, then chances
    are good that the power requirements are, too.

    Dell's parts were surprisingly affordable - once I finally got thru to
    someone who could take the order. PSU plus shipping less than $40 - cheaper
    than generic from CompUSA. The motherboard will be $120, if I need it.
    Then I have to worry about the CPU chip...

    ~AA

    Alyce Addertongue, Oct 18, 2006
  9. Thank you for the offer, Frosty, but I decided to play it safe and wait for
    a Dell replacement.

    ~AA

    Alyce Addertongue, Oct 18, 2006
  10. "Alyce Addertongue" <> wrote in message
    > The power supply on my Dell Dimension 4550 recently gave up the ghost

    (with
    > sparks and smoke and all), and in order to determine if there was any

    other
    > damage, I need to install a new supply, but I'd rather not wait the

    several
    > weeks required to get one from Dell. When I went down to CompUSA, several
    > salespeople warned me along the lines of "If you put in a non-Dell

    supply,
    > it'll fry your motherboard."
    >
    > (Actually, my motherboard may already be fried, but this is the only way I
    > know of to find out...)
    >
    > Now, I have some experience with DC power supplies from my radio hobby

    days,
    > and to me, that doesn't sound right: the voltages are all correct, and if

    > get a larger 400w supply (original was 250 watts) all the current ratings
    > are equal to or larger than the requirements on the original. So what

    would
    > be the problem? Has anyone else heard this, or had an actual experience
    > with this?
    >
    > ~AA

    Because certain models of Dell have the connector re-wired for
    different voltages on certain pins.

    Think of putting the car battery in BACKWARDS then trying to run
    your 1,000 Car Audio system. Hint: Result would be about 2,000 watts of
    smoke released B)

    HOWEVER - not all models are miswired.

    Take the old Dell supply in, make sure it's a physical match, and
    also verify the color codes on the wires. If they don't match with shading
    differences (i.e., orange vis light-orange), don't try it.

    For a perfect match, there's always PC Power And Cooling (
    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com ) - and they'll even tell you if you need
    the Dell variant or can use the generic one. If they say "generic" for your
    MB, then yes, the one from CrapUSA will fit. If they say "Dell Only", then
    the CrapUSA one will fit, but it'll make a hella expensive smoke bomb B(

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 21, 2006
  11. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    > My vast experience with Dell desktops and workstations say the Dell PSU
    > has propritary connectors.

    Actually, on that class Dells, it's an industry standard connector,
    but a proprietary wiring scheme for some of them. Later ones are back to
    standard, though.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 21, 2006
  12. Alyce Addertongue

    Supersano Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:27:36 -0500, Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My vast experience with Dell desktops and workstations say the Dell PSU
    >> has propritary connectors.

    > Actually, on that class Dells, it's an industry standard connector,
    > but a proprietary wiring scheme for some of them. Later ones are back to
    > standard, though.
    >
    > RwP

    Bingo. Here's the crap Dell pulled.

    http://safari.oreilly.com/0789730626/ch05lev2sec8