    Algi Guest

    PC still very slow and I wait and wait , and wait- hundred hours.
    Who can to help me ?
    Algi, Jul 17, 2009

  2. Algi

    David B. Guest

    No one with that limited info. System specs? What OS? What are the exact
    errors? When do you get the errors?

    --

    ------
    David B., Jul 17, 2009

  3. Algi

    tsperling Guest

    Did you recently add more memory to the machine?

    Or, do you have very little memory as it is and perhaps a small HD too? Or
    did you just install some very substantial application, or game? Or a
    combination of all of these?

    This will typically happen when old machines desperately try to keep up with
    a fast changing world, but as David says: More info!!!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 18, 2009
  4. Algi

    Fishface Guest

    Algi wrote:

    > PC still very slow and I wait and wait , and wait- hundred hours.
    > Who can to help me ?

    There is a system scanner here that can tell what is in your computer
    and advise you from there: http://www.crucial.com/
    A relative had a Dell, and it only shipped with 256 MB of RAM.
    With a 1 GB upgrade, it ran XP 32 bit like a new machine. If you
    are running a 64 bit operating system, I would recommend at least
    4 GB, although I just upgraded to 8 GB from 4 GB and and it runs like
    a dream.
    Fishface, Jul 18, 2009
  5. Algi

    tsperling Guest

    I remember those Dell's too - when everybody else shipped their machines
    with one GB, Dell advertised their 512MB products as having 'double' the
    memory (which was true enough, at the face of it).

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 19, 2009
  6. Algi

    Fishface Guest

    tsperling wrote:

    > I remember those Dell's too - when everybody else shipped their machines
    > with one GB, Dell advertised their 512MB products as having 'double' the
    > memory (which was true enough, at the face of it).

    I Actually bought an XP G(reat)Q(uality) computer from Fry's that shipped with only 128MB!
    http://groups.google.com/group/pdx.computing/msg/57826e337bdef203
    Fishface, Jul 19, 2009
  7. Algi

    tsperling Guest

    An amazing account. Not to 'badmouth' Dell (or any other assembler) - they
    do seem to build capable machines, but you also pay them the army of people
    they hire to persuade you what is far too expensive, is actually cheap.
    There has to be some high-tech corner cutting somewhere.

    All-in-all, it is why I build my own machines. It doesn't save me any money
    on the deal, but I can be fairly certain about the quality, which in the
    final end makes it a deal in comparison.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 19, 2009
  8. Algi

    Daniel Guest

    Hi Algi

    When you get a prompt for Virtual memory, most of the time it has to do with
    memory (ram) on your rig. Alternatively you can increase the size of your
    virtual memory paging file on the HD under system properties>advanced
    tab>performance.

    Though i would suggest you to get additional ram to maximise the performance

    Daniel, Jul 27, 2009