    any bad experiences with them?

    cheers

    gay

    brazen, Nov 2, 2006

  2. brazen

    EMB Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    > I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    > hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    > company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?

    Since the unreliable Dell debacle began all my clients have moved to
    IBM/Lenovo machines. These have been very reliable and are comparable
    with Dell for price.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 2, 2006

  3. brazen

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <>
    exclaimed:

    > (if you want to know a leasing
    >company to *not* do business with then email me)

    Tell us! Tell us!

    There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
    don't like them because xxx....

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  4. brazen

    brazen Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > > (if you want to know a leasing
    > >company to *not* do business with then email me)

    > Tell us! Tell us!
    >
    > There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
    > don't like them because xxx....

    nice coax, fred ;) I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
    some lying, thieving bastards about.

    Gay

    brazen, Nov 2, 2006
  5. brazen

    Vista Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    > I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    > hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    > company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > gay

    Probably because no one is buying Dell, so no one is complaining :) They
    haven't been selling anywhere as many these days. I wouldn't buy another
    dell, there are better brands around now at better prices.

    Vista, Nov 2, 2006
  6. brazen

    J Brockley Guest

    "brazen" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    > I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    > hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    > company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > gay

    The only problem I've seen is the bad capacitor on the motherboard problem
    which causes random lockups. This was fixed under warrenty and a believe is
    a well know issue with a particular brand of cap. A significant number of
    older IBMs died from this particular ailment.

    J Brockley, Nov 2, 2006
  7. On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, brazen wrote:

    > Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    > I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    > hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    > company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > gay

    Hmmm those GX270 caps were bad, with power supplies blowing up to.
    The worst part is that you knew they would fail and if you rang up Dell
    they would say they wouldn't replace them until you actually experienced
    startup issues. They reckoned leaking caps were OK ???!!! Oh well, what
    they didn't seem to realise is that we had a four year warranty...

    wogers nemesis, Nov 2, 2006
  8. In message <1162450928.337221@ftpsrv1>, Vista wrote:

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    >> any bad experiences with them?

    > Probably because no one is buying Dell, so no one is complaining :) They
    > haven't been selling anywhere as many these days. I wouldn't buy another
    > dell, there are better brands around now at better prices.

    Would you buy _any_ name brand at all? Better stick to white-box.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2006
  9. brazen

    Donchano Guest

    On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    >I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    >hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    >company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    >their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    >And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    >any bad experiences with them?
    >
    >cheers
    >
    >gay

    Dell Dimension 9150:

    Around two months old. Had sound problems to start with, but Dell
    replaced the motherboard (integrated sound card) under warranty. Then,
    over the weekend, my DVD/CD ROM Drive packed up. Called the 24/7
    service number on Sunday and a tech arrived on Tuesday to replaced it.
    Other than some minor inconvenience caused by these problems, I've
    been impressed with the overall performance of the machine and the
    *excellent* after sales service Dell has provided. Compare that with
    the major problems I had with my last Acer PC and the crap after sales
    service, I'm happy as Larry.

    On the other hand, my last PC was a Gateway and, I never had to fix
    anything under warranty.

    Donchano, Nov 2, 2006
  10. brazen

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 1 Nov 2006 21:18:48 -0800, "brazen" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >> > (if you want to know a leasing
    >> >company to *not* do business with then email me)

    >> Tell us! Tell us!
    >>
    >> There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
    >> don't like them because xxx....

    >nice coax, fred ;) I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
    >some lying, thieving bastards about.

    Does the place start with F, and end with T ?

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  11. brazen

    Tony Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >
    > I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    > hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    > company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > gay

    I have hundreds of Dell servers and workstations with no issues at all,
    I highly recommend them.

    Tony, Nov 2, 2006
  12. brazen

    brazen Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 1 Nov 2006 21:18:48 -0800, "brazen" <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    > >Fred Dagg wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 1 Nov 2006 19:36:04 -0800, "brazen" <>
    > >> exclaimed:

    > >> Tell us! Tell us!
    > >>
    > >> There's a few around, actually. There's no libel issues if you say you
    > >> don't like them because xxx....

    > >nice coax, fred ;) I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
    > >some lying, thieving bastards about.
    > >

    > Does the place start with F, and end with T ?

    No, actually, but I was considering them for the replacements. Are they
    bollox too?

    Gay

    brazen, Nov 2, 2006
  13. brazen

    thingy Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > brazen wrote:
    >> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >>
    >> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    >> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    >> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    >> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >>
    >> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    >> any bad experiences with them?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>
    >> gay
    >>

    > I have hundreds of Dell servers and workstations with no issues at all,
    > I highly recommend them.

    yep....really good, as long as its basic stuff like a new motherboard or
    hdrive Dell are fine....if you are considering them for services type
    support, think again....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 2, 2006
  14. brazen

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 2 Nov 2006 10:54:59 -0800, "brazen" <>
    exclaimed:

    >> >nice coax, fred ;) I'm not that keen on lawyers but by crikey there are
    >> >some lying, thieving bastards about.
    >> >

    >> Does the place start with F, and end with T ?

    >No, actually, but I was considering them for the replacements. Are they
    >bollox too?

    I know of a few people who are unhappy with the price they've tried to
    charge to purchase gear at the end of a lease period, and they also do
    charge quite a bit of interest compared with many others.

    Fred Dagg, Nov 2, 2006
  15. brazen

    brazen Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On 2 Nov 2006 10:54:59 -0800, "brazen" <>
    > exclaimed:

    > >> Does the place start with F, and end with T ?

    > >No, actually, but I was considering them for the replacements. Are they
    > >bollox too?

    > I know of a few people who are unhappy with the price they've tried to
    > charge to purchase gear at the end of a lease period, and they also do
    > charge quite a bit of interest compared with many others.

    mmm, my guys went belly up, sold the lease/ownership on but not the
    support bit. The hard drive was giving "disaster imminent" messages a
    month before the end and new lease owner wouldnt fix it. I managed to
    get a replacement hard drive as it was still under warranty but they
    wouldnt fit it or trf data, so of course it never got fixed. Then at
    the end of it they gave me an absolutely ridiculous purchase price for
    a perfect machine let alone for a broken one. A leasing/finance co &
    support/maintenance co in Ak that should be avoided at all costs.

    Gay

    brazen, Nov 3, 2006
  16. brazen

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 2 Nov 2006 19:06:34 -0800, "brazen" <>
    exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On 2 Nov 2006 10:54:59 -0800, "brazen" <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >> >No, actually, but I was considering them for the replacements. Are they
    >> >bollox too?

    >> I know of a few people who are unhappy with the price they've tried to
    >> charge to purchase gear at the end of a lease period, and they also do
    >> charge quite a bit of interest compared with many others.

    >mmm, my guys went belly up, sold the lease/ownership on but not the
    >support bit. The hard drive was giving "disaster imminent" messages a
    >month before the end and new lease owner wouldnt fix it. I managed to
    >get a replacement hard drive as it was still under warranty but they
    >wouldnt fit it or trf data, so of course it never got fixed. Then at
    >the end of it they gave me an absolutely ridiculous purchase price for
    >a perfect machine let alone for a broken one. A leasing/finance co &
    >support/maintenance co in Ak that should be avoided at all costs.

    Hmm, does it start with N ?

    Fred Dagg, Nov 3, 2006
  17. brazen

    k Guest

    brazen wrote:
    > <snip>the prices for
    > their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >
    > And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    > any bad experiences with them?
    > <snip>

    We just got a bunch of 210L's at work and they seem fine to me.

    Some say they're ugly.. I think they look fine :p

    k, Nov 3, 2006
  18. brazen

    k Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > brazen wrote:
    >> Anyone have any strong opinions on them?
    >>
    >> I know they had a pretty bad patch a wee while back, but we need more
    >> hardware to replace some leased machines (if you want to know a leasing
    >> company to *not* do business with then email me) and the prices for
    >> their low end 210L are hard to beat.
    >>
    >> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    >> any bad experiences with them?

    > Since the unreliable Dell debacle began all my clients have moved to
    > IBM/Lenovo machines. These have been very reliable and are comparable
    > with Dell for price.

    We've just moved from IBM to Dell since they've got the best price while
    still maintaining decent parts replacement service..

    k, Nov 3, 2006
  19. brazen

    k Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <1162450928.337221@ftpsrv1>, Vista wrote:
    >
    >> "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> And I havent heard anyone griping about Dell for a while - anyone have
    >>> any bad experiences with them?

    >> Probably because no one is buying Dell, so no one is complaining :) They
    >> haven't been selling anywhere as many these days. I wouldn't buy another
    >> dell, there are better brands around now at better prices.

    > Would you buy _any_ name brand at all? Better stick to white-box.

    You *must* be kidding..

    k, Nov 3, 2006
  20. brazen

    EMB Guest

    k wrote:

    > We've just moved from IBM to Dell since they've got the best price while
    > still maintaining decent parts replacement service..

    Yeah Right.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Nov 3, 2006