    Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    satisfaction from it?
    Anyone tried it?
    joevan, May 26, 2007

  2. joevan

    Guest

    joevan <> wrote:

    >I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >satisfaction from it?
    >Anyone tried it?

    Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    flake out, while another may give years of service.
    http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    --

    Youtube.com is being sued over this video
    http://tinyurl.com/3ygg5p

  3. joevan

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >>auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >>and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >>Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >>satisfaction from it?
    >>Anyone tried it?

    > Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    > flake out, while another may give years of service.
    > http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    The ones I have at work are fine. The auctioned PCs should be in good
    working order, and should carry a warranty of some type. You might have the
    option to extend the warranty, like they do on their new PCs.

    I've not purchased through the Dell auctions, but I have friend who bought a
    laptop that way and had no trouble with either the transaction or the
    computer.
    WhzzKdd, May 26, 2007
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 14:22:08 -0700, wrote:

    > joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >>auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >>and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >>Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >>satisfaction from it?
    >>Anyone tried it?

    >Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    >flake out, while another may give years of service.
    >http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    Thanks, that is what I thought, but nice to have confirmation.
    I seem to have the wrong luck with such so I think I will not bother
    with dells sales tactics.
    joevan, May 26, 2007
  5. joevan

    PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >>auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >>and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >>Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >>satisfaction from it?
    >>Anyone tried it?

    > Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    > flake out, while another may give years of service.
    > http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    Anyone notice the broken parallel port moulding in the second picture?
    (left end of pink plastic)

    Paul.
    PeeCee, May 27, 2007
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2007 14:56:15 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> joevan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >>>auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >>>and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >>>Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >>>satisfaction from it?
    >>>Anyone tried it?

    >> Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    >> flake out, while another may give years of service.
    >> http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html
    >>

    >The ones I have at work are fine. The auctioned PCs should be in good
    >working order, and should carry a warranty of some type. You might have the
    >option to extend the warranty, like they do on their new PCs.
    >
    >I've not purchased through the Dell auctions, but I have friend who bought a
    >laptop that way and had no trouble with either the transaction or the
    >computer.

    Thanks for the response.
    I don't think that 200 bucks would ruin me but I don't like to have
    to get into a lot of problems now. If I really need another puter I
    may give it a try.
    joevan, May 28, 2007
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:49:13 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> joevan <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I read that these machines may have serious problems. Dell has an
    >>>auction and lots of these are available and one just went for 200 us
    >>>and about 30 bucks for shipping.
    >>>Is this dell auction something to avoid or is it possible to get any
    >>>satisfaction from it?
    >>>Anyone tried it?

    >> Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    >> flake out, while another may give years of service.
    >> http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    >Anyone notice the broken parallel port moulding in the second picture?
    >(left end of pink plastic)
    >

    >Paul.

    I see it but did not know what it was or meant. Is that another big
    problem or just something not to worry about?
    joevan, May 28, 2007
  8. joevan

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:49:13 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >

    >><> wrote in message

    >>> Seems to be hit or miss; it's a faulty capacitor problem, one may
    >>> flake out, while another may give years of service.
    >>> http://forums.hexus.net/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

    >>Anyone notice the broken parallel port moulding in the second picture?
    >>(left end of pink plastic)
    >>

    >>Paul.
    >>

    > I see it but did not know what it was or meant. Is that another big
    > problem or just something not to worry about?

    Not a real problem. The photo you were looking at isn't from Dell. It's a
    picture of a used computer from someone who was repairing those, and God
    only knows what else has happened to them. Dropped. Bumped. Ran into with
    the vacuum cleaner. Printer cable stepped on by some behemoth. It has
    nothing to do with what Dell is selling.
    WhzzKdd, May 28, 2007