    I would greatly apreciate it.
    thanks
    Kevin

    Kevin King, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Kevin King

    docmill Guest

    (Kevin King) wrote in
    news::

    > I am having trouble with my optiplex gx260. I haven't used it in a
    > while, and I recently bought a hard drive to put in it and I am trying
    > to get it to boot to a cd so I can install an OS. On the Dell screen,
    > the white bar fills up, and then the computer just hangs there for a
    > long time. It will eventually beep and say 'press f1 to continue, f2
    > to go to the setup menu'. The setup menu says there is no hard drive
    > installed and no cd rom installed. I know the drives are functioning
    > properly, and the floppy is working fine. I am at a loss as to what
    > where to go from here. If anyone has any troubloshooting suggestions,
    > I would greatly apreciate it.
    > thanks
    > Kevin

    Try a boot disk in the floppy. Set the Bios to load from that first.
    Download one from either of these if you need one.

    http://www.startdisk.com/Web1/ubd/ubd.htm

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Kevin King

    Hamman Guest

    "Kevin King" <> wrote in message
    > I am having trouble with my optiplex gx260. I haven't used it in a
    > while, and I recently bought a hard drive to put in it and I am trying
    > to get it to boot to a cd so I can install an OS. On the Dell screen,
    > the white bar fills up, and then the computer just hangs there for a
    > long time. It will eventually beep and say 'press f1 to continue, f2
    > to go to the setup menu'. The setup menu says there is no hard drive
    > installed and no cd rom installed. I know the drives are functioning
    > properly, and the floppy is working fine. I am at a loss as to what
    > where to go from here. If anyone has any troubloshooting suggestions,
    > I would greatly apreciate it.
    > thanks
    > Kevin

    Sounds like the disk controllers are screwed, i saw this happen on a P2
    Compaq machine once.
    Try sticking a PCI ATA card in and see if it boots off that.
    Just hope theres nothing wrong with the southbridge... its a slippery slope.

    hamman

    Hamman, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Just a thought, but, you didn't change the IDE cable, did you?

    Many Dells HATE "long" IDE cables, cables that would be the normal length in
    other machines.

    At times I have had to remove the IDE connector off the cable and re-clamp
    it back onto the cable nearer the mobo, cutting off the excess cable. This
    has solved the problem countless times. HOWEVER THIS IS NOT EASY in that it
    is extremely difficult to remove the connector and reposition it accurately.

    eric the seal, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Kevin King

    TehGhodTrole Guest

    eric the seal wrote: