    going through the automatic reboot sequence it fails to load any further,
    and has an error message: lOADING ERROR.

    mortda
    Mortda, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Mortda

    JOG Guest

    Hi Mortda,

    Possibly a problem with the hard disk which may be corrupted.

    On starting your PC try F12 (see the options available at the top left of
    the screen) and if the DELL partition has not been removed during the intial
    install, there should be a diagnostic option, run it again the HDD.

    Kind regards

    Joseph
    http://uk.geocities.com/josephoget/a2z/ilo/

    JOG, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Mortda

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:28:28 +1300, Mortda wrote:

    > Can anyone advise as to wether or not this particular Dell desktop has a

    See manuals, Dell links below.

    >special boot up disk(s) (Similar to the early compaqs) used to start up the

    A recovery partition? They may have but we scrubbed every single PC with
    our build. They either installed from floppy or BartPE CD.

    >system after a new OS has been install, ie; on a new hard drive for
    >instance.

    Start with Dell support page,
    http://support.dell.com/support/
    Pick the model range, and enter the service tag / model info. It will
    take you to the Dell downloads pages for Optiplex
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...ystem=true&l=en&product_family=OptiPlex&s=gen

    > We have a problem after installng Windows 2000 (Have tried the standard

    If these are the 3-4 year old black GX150's, Win 2000 works just fine on
    these.

    >version and the pro version) that after installing the initial files and
    >going through the automatic reboot sequence it fails to load any further,
    >and has an error message: lOADING ERROR.

    Drive letters / CDROM or other bootable device is causing a problem.

    It's assumed you are doing this manually and not a config script you can
    control.

    As it's rebooting you could try a boot floppy from www.bootdisk.com to
    interrupt the process and see if you can see the HD / dirs / files okay.

    This works okay, if you remove the floppy and reboot normally it should
    continue to your error :)

    You also didn't say much about partition sizes / format.

    There are 2 hidden folder, I just can't recall the name of, it's the
    boot files put on after the 1st part of the CD files copy.

    $LS.BT or something similar, IIRC that's the 1st folders it looks at.

    HAve you tried removing and non essential hardware.

    Something that isn't Win 2000 does work or not.

    > mortda

    Me
    why?, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Mortda

    Mortda Guest

    Thanks Jog & Why,
    The info was just what I was looking for and
    the help is very much appreciated.
    Mortda

    Mortda, Jan 13, 2007