    what is the reasoning behind these sales tactics?
    Is Dell just being cheap or stupid? Or trying to make money on expensive
    tech support phone calls?
    don, Oct 6, 2010

  2. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    don wrote:
    > I was shopping online at Dell.com and noticed that on the Studio XPS laptop
    > it says that no Recovery disk come with the laptop which is about $1500. I
    > was shocked at this, since every laptop I ever bought came with the OS cd.
    > Should I have a problem how the hell are you suppose to recover from
    > crashes? I realize they probably have a zip file hidden somewhere to restore
    > everything but what if you don't want to wipe out everything and want to try
    > and fix something minor?
    > what is the reasoning behind these sales tactics?
    > Is Dell just being cheap or stupid? Or trying to make money on expensive
    > tech support phone calls?

    http://dell.to/dmfkWY How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on
    a Dell Computer

    http://dell.to/bbF2Ep Why did my Dell System not come with Disks?
    Where can I find information about this Backup and Recovery Software?
    * How do I create a Backup?
    * How do I Restore from a Backup?
    * How do I Restore to my Factory Image?
    * How do I create my System Recovery Disks?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 6, 2010

  3. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:

    > I was shopping online at Dell.com and noticed that on the Studio XPS
    > laptop it says that no Recovery disk come with the laptop which is
    > about $1500. I was shocked at this, since every laptop I ever bought
    > came with the OS cd. Should I have a problem how the hell are you
    > suppose to recover from crashes? I realize they probably have a zip
    > file hidden somewhere to restore everything but what if you don't want
    > to wipe out everything and want to try and fix something minor?
    > what is the reasoning behind these sales tactics?
    > Is Dell just being cheap or stupid? Or trying to make money on
    > expensive tech support phone calls?

    You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed software
    when you bring it home. In various countries, they're *required* to
    provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent price for a laptop.
    20 years ago.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 6, 2010
  4. don

    don Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:
    >

    > You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed software
    > when you bring it home. In various countries, they're *required* to
    > provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent price for a laptop.
    > 20 years ago.

    ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually include
    the disks
    don, Oct 7, 2010
  5. don

    Jan B Guest

    "don" <> schreef in bericht

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:
    >>

    >> You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed software
    >> when you bring it home. In various countries, they're *required* to
    >> provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent price for a laptop.
    >> 20 years ago.

    > ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually include
    > the disks

    You brand your own disks from the recovery partition that every good laptop
    has nowadays.
    Jan B, Oct 7, 2010
  6. don

    PeeCee Guest

    "don" wrote in message news:i8ivrg$dt6$...

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:
    >

    > You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed software
    > when you bring it home. In various countries, they're *required* to
    > provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent price for a laptop.
    > 20 years ago.

    ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually include
    the disks

    Don

    The more expensive 'business' grade laptops often come with OS/Restore
    CD/DVD's.
    An HP Probook 4320s for example includes both 32 and 64 bit restore DVD's in
    the box.

    The reason the Disks are often not included is simply a matter of money and
    numbers.
    The cost to include them may only be 2 or 3 dollars per machine, but when
    you are selling 50,000 of that model that means 100 to 150 thousand extra
    dollars on the bottom line.
    Bean counters rule supreme in business these days.

    The 'burn your own' system is ok if you have the nous to use good quality
    Disks and make multiple copies.
    However many a power user will wipe the factory install and replace it with
    a clean bloat free version from an OEM disk.
    Haven't myself come across a Windows Key on a Laptop that won't install with
    an OEM disk.
    Which makes the factory disks redundant anyway unless there was some bundled
    apps you particularly need.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 7, 2010
  7. don

    don Guest

    "Grinder" <> wrote in message

    > Dell was one of the last ones that was actually including the OS and
    > drivers discs in addition to a recovery partition. I've got a Dell laptop
    > (Studio 15) showing up in a couple of days, so I'll report was happened
    > there.

    Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence as to
    should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my harddrive the way
    I like it and also would want to load/run Linux...... not sure if this is
    possible if I don't have the Win 7 cd....
    don, Oct 7, 2010
  8. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    don wrote:

    > Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence as to
    > should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my harddrive the way
    > I like it and also would want to load/run Linux...... not sure if this is
    > possible if I don't have the Win 7 cd....

    You were never going to have a MS Win7 CD. The way it works is that
    outfits like Dell and HP and Gateway and eMachines don't sell you a
    machine with /just/ an OS installed 'simply' plus a genuine MS CD along
    with a license to install it on any kind of machine. If you wanted that,
    you would have to cut a deal with a shop which builds machines and
    installs OS and sells you the installation plus a genuine MS install disk.

    Instead, the Dell type OEM puts together a package with a special kind
    of MS license. The OEM pays MS a 'one machine' licensing fee for a
    special kind of license which does *not* provide you with that MS CD
    (rather DVD), but instead gives you a machine which has a MS OS already
    installed, along with a lot of bloatware which the bloatware developers
    pay the OEM to install along with the MS OS. That bloatware payola is
    what defrays the cost of the OEM paying the MS license. That is also why
    it is cheaper to buy a machine with a MS OS + bloatware installed than
    it is to buy a machine with no OS or a linux OS installed.

    Then the OEM makes an image of that installed OS + accompanying
    installed bloatware and the OEM *used to* give you CD/DVD of that image
    of OS + bloat. But then times changed and it became more economical to
    just put the image onto the hdd on another partition and give you
    instructions about how you can make a recovery DVD from the recovery
    partition -- in case anything happens to the hdd with the recovery
    partition.

    If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one
    retail, or bit torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better than
    the original.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2010
  9. don

    GrailKing Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:
    >>

    >> You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed software
    >> when you bring it home. In various countries, they're *required* to
    >> provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent price for a laptop.
    >> 20 years ago.

    > ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
    > include
    > the disks

    I bought 2 laptops and a desktop this year, I bought a Toshiba for my
    wife from BestBuys and BB provided recovery disk with price.

    I bought my daughter an Acer from Staples no recover disk first thing I
    did was burn 4 dvd with system and all drivers.

    I got an HP SX desktop and I also had to burn DVDs for OS and drivers; I
    then added Linux and dual boot but I haven't used Windows on my new desk
    top since I did that and actually not since Ubuntu 7xxxx.

    So you may have to do some legwork.

    GK
    GrailKing, Oct 7, 2010
  10. don

    M.L. Guest

    >If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one
    >retail, or bit torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better than
    >the original.

    Newegg sells relatively cheap Win7 OEM install disks with no
    bloatware. That's what I used on my custom PC/TV.
    M.L., Oct 7, 2010
  11. don

    Meat Plow Guest

    #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.

    #2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide his
    or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  12. don

    chuckcar Guest

    "don" <> wrote in news:i8jcut$b43$:

    > "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dell was one of the last ones that was actually including the OS and
    >> drivers discs in addition to a recovery partition. I've got a Dell
    >> laptop (Studio 15) showing up in a couple of days, so I'll report was
    >> happened there.

    > Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence
    > as to should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my
    > harddrive the way I like it and also would want to load/run
    > Linux...... not sure if this is possible if I don't have the Win 7
    > cd....

    Dell makes high end computer and servers just like everyong else. The
    Manufacturer is beside from the point. Read.PeeCee's post. It's the only
    one that actually gives you an answer.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  13. don

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
    >
    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "don" <> wrote in news:i8ir4m$8qi$:
    >>>

    >>> You're buying a cheap laptop. You burn one with the installed
    >>> software when you bring it home. In various countries, they're
    >>> *required* to provide one. Not the US apparently. 3K was a decent
    >>> price for a laptop. 20 years ago.

    >> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
    >> include
    >> the disks

    > #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.

    What precisely is your major problem mister?

    > #2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide
    > his or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.

    He *has*. He want's the CD to install windows 7. Included. Apparently
    you don't read so well. That makes you the last person to be making
    judgement calls on other posters here.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  14. don

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
    >>
    >>> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >>> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
    >>> include
    >>> the disks

    >> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
    >>

    > What precisely is your major problem mister?

    You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?

    To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
    speakers and printers."

    I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do not
    have drivers.

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  15. don

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
    >>>

    >> What precisely is your major problem mister?

    > You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?
    >
    > To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
    > speakers and printers."
    >
    > I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do
    > not have drivers.

    I've already answered that Evan Jr.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Oct 7, 2010
  16. don

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:54:10 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:13:18 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> What precisely is your major problem mister?

    >> You give bad advice 99.9% of the time, what else?
    >>
    >> To quote you: "*Everything* has drivers with the exception of audio
    >> speakers and printers."
    >>
    >> I'll permit you to redact your statement in part claiming printers do
    >> not have drivers.
    >>

    > I've already answered that Evan Jr.

    Evasion expected. You blurt out things before you think. This makes you
    undesirable as a consultant.

    Meat Plow, Oct 7, 2010
  17. don

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/10/2010 13:13, chuckcar wrote:
    > Meat Plow<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:13:52 -0400, don wrote:
    >>
    >>> "chuckcar"<> wrote in message

    >>> ok, so can you recommend a good laptop brand that will actually
    >>> include
    >>> the disks

    >> #1. Don't take chucktard's advice.
    >>

    > What precisely is your major problem mister?

    Where to start? Your advice is generally wrong and when challenged you
    drop out of the thread.

    >> #2. Suggesting a good laptop to a total stranger who doesn't provide
    >> his or her requirements is like suggesting the best tasting apple pie.
    >>

    > He *has*. He want's the CD to install windows 7.

    Perfect example. You haven't got a clue.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 7, 2010
  18. don

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    > If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one retail, or bit
    > torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better than the original.

    Mike

    If I read correctly as per above ,why in heavens name are you advocating the use of
    a pirated version of the OS. I might be possibly dense at times but it sure sounds
    like that to me. No one should be even thinking about using and installing a pirated
    version of any OS or program. It is theft and also it can become dangerous at times
    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    Peter Foldes, Oct 7, 2010
  19. don

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 07/10/2010 13:13, chuckcar wrote:
    > "don"<> wrote in news:i8jcut$b43$:
    >

    >> "Grinder"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Dell was one of the last ones that was actually including the OS and
    >>> drivers discs in addition to a recovery partition. I've got a Dell
    >>> laptop (Studio 15) showing up in a couple of days, so I'll report was
    >>> happened there.

    >> Grinder... looking forward to your report.... I am still on the fence
    >> as to should I buy a Dell or not because I like to partition my
    >> harddrive the way I like it and also would want to load/run
    >> Linux...... not sure if this is possible if I don't have the Win 7
    >> cd....
    >>

    > Dell makes high end computer and servers just like everyong else.

    Typical chuckcar post - wrong, irrelevant and unable to use a spell checker.
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 7, 2010
  20. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    Peter Foldes wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> If you want a MS-type install disk for Win7, you can either buy one
    >> retail, or bit torrent a pirate version -- some of those are better
    >> than the original.

    > If I read correctly as per above ,why in heavens name are you
    > advocating the use of a pirated version of the OS.

    I'm not 'advocating' the use of a pirated version. I'm focusing on the
    problem as many users of OEM recovery disks/partitions see it.

    They have a license to use the MS OS on one machine - but they don't
    have a MS install disk, they only have an image of a MS OS + bloatware
    install. They wish they had an install disk to be able to 'get' what
    they have a license for - their MS license doesn't actually 'require'
    that they install bloatware with their OS, but they have no install disk
    to do otherwise.

    Those users 'balk' at the necessity to buy 'another' expensive retail
    version of the version they have when they already have a license for
    that version, but they just need some way to use/do it.

    > I might be possibly
    > dense at times but it sure sounds like that to me. No one should be even
    > thinking about using and installing a pirated version of any OS or
    > program. It is theft and also it can become dangerous at times

    Pirated versions can be dangerous and can certainly be misused in a way
    that violates MS's copyright. Even the existence of the pirated version
    is a violation of MS's copyright. But I think there are 'issues' which
    this thread brings up in which the end user's ability to exercise his
    license is being 'impaired' by the lack of clean installation media.

    The lack of clean installation media can be solved by retail version or
    by 'bending' the copyright (using pirated) to aid the legal license. I
    don't know about this cheap OEM version business at newegg yet. I'll
    have to research that to see if that is another avenue.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 7, 2010