Dell newsgroups?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by davo, Jul 30, 2006.

  1. davo

    davo Guest

    Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of info (other than
    from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with "virtual memory minimum too
    low" and have been on the phone with them for hours (I'm sure partially
    because I'm not well informed about computers in general)
    I've already removed several unused programs, have run all my protections,
    and I'm getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer primarily
    for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks
     
    davo, Jul 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. davo

    samuel Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of
    > info (other than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with
    > "virtual memory minimum too low" and have been on the phone
    > with them for hours (I'm sure partially because I'm not well
    > informed about computers in general) I've already removed
    > several unused programs, have run all my protections, and I'm
    > getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    > primarily for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks


    what has dell got to do with the message

    ask here or at a windows group or
    did you even search the internet
     
    samuel, Jul 30, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. davo

    davo Guest

    "samuel" <> wrote in message
    news:44cc52bf$0$7693$...
    > "davo" <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of
    >> info (other than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with
    >> "virtual memory minimum too low" and have been on the phone
    >> with them for hours (I'm sure partially because I'm not well
    >> informed about computers in general) I've already removed
    >> several unused programs, have run all my protections, and I'm
    >> getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    >> primarily for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks

    >
    > what has dell got to do with the message
    >
    > ask here or at a windows group or
    > did you even search the internet


    Well I started out with windows, they directed me to Dell,yes i searched the
    internet, am just searching for additional info, guess I was annoying--just
    ignore
    >
     
    davo, Jul 30, 2006
    #3
  4. davo

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, davo
    <> wrote:

    > "samuel" <> wrote in message
    > news:44cc52bf$0$7693$...
    > > "davo" <> wrote in
    > > news::
    > >
    > >> Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of
    > >> info (other than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with
    > >> "virtual memory minimum too low" and have been on the phone
    > >> with them for hours (I'm sure partially because I'm not well
    > >> informed about computers in general) I've already removed
    > >> several unused programs, have run all my protections, and I'm
    > >> getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    > >> primarily for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks

    > >
    > > what has dell got to do with the message
    > >
    > > ask here or at a windows group or
    > > did you even search the internet

    >
    > Well I started out with windows, they directed me to Dell,yes i searched the
    > internet, am just searching for additional info, guess I was annoying--just
    > ignore
    > >

    >
    >


    Microsoft directed you to DELL?

    That should REALLY piss you off -- there is no way this has anything to
    do with the hardware, and they should have known that right away.
    But rather than give you some simple advice, direct you to good help,
    or give you even a simple answer about what was up, they pointed you to
    blame someone else?

    Yep, that would piss me off.
     
    Mitch, Jul 30, 2006
    #4
  5. davo

    davo Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    news:290720062124268162%...
    > In article <>, davo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "samuel" <> wrote in message
    >> news:44cc52bf$0$7693$...
    >> > "davo" <> wrote in
    >> > news::
    >> >
    >> >> Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of
    >> >> info (other than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with
    >> >> "virtual memory minimum too low" and have been on the phone
    >> >> with them for hours (I'm sure partially because I'm not well
    >> >> informed about computers in general) I've already removed
    >> >> several unused programs, have run all my protections, and I'm
    >> >> getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    >> >> primarily for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks
    >> >
    >> > what has dell got to do with the message
    >> >
    >> > ask here or at a windows group or
    >> > did you even search the internet

    >>
    >> Well I started out with windows, they directed me to Dell,yes i searched
    >> the
    >> internet, am just searching for additional info, guess I was
    >> annoying--just
    >> ignore
    >> >

    >>
    >>

    >
    > Microsoft directed you to DELL?
    >
    > That should REALLY piss you off -- there is no way this has anything to
    > do with the hardware, and they should have known that right away.
    > But rather than give you some simple advice, direct you to good help,
    > or give you even a simple answer about what was up, they pointed you to
    > blame someone else?
    >
    > Yep, that would piss me off.

    Yes, I even questioned it--the alert came from Windows, they said hardware
    was the problem, so that's were I started--on the phone with Dell in
    Philipnes forever---so i need to go back to Windows I guess is the obvious
    answer. Thanks Mitch
     
    davo, Jul 30, 2006
    #5
  6. On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:07:30 -0700, "davo" <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of info (other than
    >from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with "virtual memory minimum too
    >low" and have been on the phone with them for hours (I'm sure partially
    >because I'm not well informed about computers in general)
    >I've already removed several unused programs, have run all my protections,
    >and I'm getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer primarily
    >for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks


    Davo,

    In newsgroups you have to look out for what are described as
    "asshole's". The asshole's parade around as if they were actually
    whole humans, but in reality, they are just the asshole.

    Oftentimes, these asshole's refuse to just answer a post from someone
    because their assholiness takes over their thoughts. They think they
    would rather act like asshole's than to just answer a very simple
    question.

    In answer to your question of "does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups
    or other sources of info (other than from Dell directly)? You can go
    here:

    alt.sys.pc-clone.dell


    Altie
     
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 30, 2006
    #6
  7. davo

    davo Guest

    "Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤" <Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤@cad.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:07:30 -0700, "davo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of info (other
    >>than
    >>from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with "virtual memory minimum too
    >>low" and have been on the phone with them for hours (I'm sure partially
    >>because I'm not well informed about computers in general)
    >>I've already removed several unused programs, have run all my protections,
    >>and I'm getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    >>primarily
    >>for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks

    >
    > Davo,
    >
    > In newsgroups you have to look out for what are described as
    > "asshole's". The asshole's parade around as if they were actually
    > whole humans, but in reality, they are just the asshole.
    >
    > Oftentimes, these asshole's refuse to just answer a post from someone
    > because their assholiness takes over their thoughts. They think they
    > would rather act like asshole's than to just answer a very simple
    > question.
    >
    > In answer to your question of "does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups
    > or other sources of info (other than from Dell directly)? You can go
    > here:
    >
    > alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    >
    >
    > Altie. thank you so very much! I'll check it out
     
    davo, Jul 30, 2006
    #7
  8. davo

    beenthere Guest

    "davo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of info (other
    > than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with "virtual memory minimum
    > too low" and etc etc.


    Go here and have a read davo:
    http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic1887.html

    or www.google.co.uk and type the warning in ie.
    virtual memory minimum too low.

    --
    bw..OJ
     
    beenthere, Jul 30, 2006
    #8
  9. davo

    Mike Easter Guest

    davo wrote:
    > I'm having problems with "virtual
    > memory minimum too low"


    How much [physical, real] ram do you have in your Dell running Win XP
    SP2?

    In Computer/ Properties/ Advanced/ Performance/ Settings/ Advanced -
    virtual memory - what does it say?

    What spyware/adware/malware remedies and defenses do you use?

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jul 30, 2006
    #9
  10. davo

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:57:34 +0100, davo wrote
    (in article <>):

    >
    > "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > news:290720062124268162%...
    >> In article <>, davo
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "samuel" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:44cc52bf$0$7693$...
    >>>> "davo" <> wrote in
    >>>> news::
    >>>>
    >>>>> Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of
    >>>>> info (other than from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with
    >>>>> "virtual memory minimum too low" and have been on the phone
    >>>>> with them for hours (I'm sure partially because I'm not well
    >>>>> informed about computers in general) I've already removed
    >>>>> several unused programs, have run all my protections, and I'm
    >>>>> getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer
    >>>>> primarily for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks
    >>>>
    >>>> what has dell got to do with the message
    >>>>
    >>>> ask here or at a windows group or
    >>>> did you even search the internet
    >>>
    >>> Well I started out with windows, they directed me to Dell,yes i searched
    >>> the
    >>> internet, am just searching for additional info, guess I was
    >>> annoying--just
    >>> ignore
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> Microsoft directed you to DELL?
    >>
    >> That should REALLY piss you off -- there is no way this has anything to
    >> do with the hardware, and they should have known that right away.
    >> But rather than give you some simple advice, direct you to good help,
    >> or give you even a simple answer about what was up, they pointed you to
    >> blame someone else?
    >>
    >> Yep, that would piss me off.

    > Yes, I even questioned it--the alert came from Windows, they said hardware
    > was the problem, so that's were I started--on the phone with Dell in
    > Philipnes forever---so i need to go back to Windows I guess is the obvious
    > answer. Thanks Mitch
    >
    >


    I think you misunderstood. They didn't direct you to Dell because it was a
    hardware issue; they directed you to Dell, I suspect, because your Windows
    licence is OEM and MS offers no support for OEM-supplied licences.

    Was your copy of Windows supplied pre-installed on your computer? If so, that
    is the reason MS has been directing you to Dell.
     
    Margolotta, Jul 30, 2006
    #10
  11. davo

    Margolotta Guest

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:02:44 +0100, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 23:07:30 -0700, "davo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups or other sources of info (other
    >> than
    >> from Dell directly?) I'm having problems with "virtual memory minimum too
    >> low" and have been on the phone with them for hours (I'm sure partially
    >> because I'm not well informed about computers in general)
    >> I've already removed several unused programs, have run all my protections,
    >> and I'm getting the warning about every 3 days. I use my computer primarily
    >> for email & newsgroups, Windows XP SP2. Thanks

    >
    > Davo,
    >
    > In newsgroups you have to look out for what are described as
    > "asshole's". The asshole's parade around as if they were actually
    > whole humans, but in reality, they are just the asshole.
    >
    > Oftentimes, these asshole's refuse to just answer a post from someone
    > because their assholiness takes over their thoughts. They think they
    > would rather act like asshole's than to just answer a very simple
    > question.
    >
    > In answer to your question of "does anyone know of any Dell newsgroups
    > or other sources of info (other than from Dell directly)? You can go
    > here:
    >
    > alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
    >
    >
    > Altie


    You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He can't even
    spell 'arseholes'.
     
    Margolotta, Jul 30, 2006
    #11
  12. >You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He can't even
    >spell 'arseholes'.


    Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is the
    proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The sooner
    you learn American English, the better off you will be.

    Altie
     
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 30, 2006
    #12
  13. davo

    clot Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >> You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He
    >> can't even spell 'arseholes'.

    >
    > Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is the
    > proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The sooner
    > you learn American English, the better off you will be.



    I say, good fellow, just have a quick shuftie of this, would you? ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse
     
    clot, Jul 30, 2006
    #13
  14. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:26:52 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:

    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >>> You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He
    >>> can't even spell 'arseholes'.

    >>
    >> Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is the
    >> proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The sooner
    >> you learn American English, the better off you will be.

    >
    >
    >I say, good fellow, just have a quick shuftie of this, would you? ;)
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse


    Clot, just as Europe is decrepit and dying, so is the Queen's English.
    American English, on the other hand, is vibrant and robust and should
    always be used in a group such as this. Surely, you have to agree.

    Altie
     
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 30, 2006
    #14
  15. davo

    clot Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:26:52 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >>>> You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He
    >>>> can't even spell 'arseholes'.
    >>>
    >>> Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is the
    >>> proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The sooner
    >>> you learn American English, the better off you will be.

    >>
    >>
    >> I say, good fellow, just have a quick shuftie of this, would you? ;)
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse

    >
    > Clot, just as Europe is decrepit and dying, so is the Queen's English.
    > American English, on the other hand, is vibrant and robust and should
    > always be used in a group such as this. Surely, you have to agree.



    Good heavens! You Left Pondians are so parochial. Whilst there are
    indeed certain outposts where Johnny Foreigner speaks with an American
    accent, the majority use words of British origin and spelt correctly! :)
     
    clot, Jul 30, 2006
    #15
  16. On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:04:33 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:

    >Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:26:52 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >>>>> You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He
    >>>>> can't even spell 'arseholes'.
    >>>>
    >>>> Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is the
    >>>> proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The sooner
    >>>> you learn American English, the better off you will be.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I say, good fellow, just have a quick shuftie of this, would you? ;)
    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse

    >>
    >> Clot, just as Europe is decrepit and dying, so is the Queen's English.
    >> American English, on the other hand, is vibrant and robust and should
    >> always be used in a group such as this. Surely, you have to agree.

    >
    >
    >Good heavens! You Left Pondians are so parochial. Whilst there are
    >indeed certain outposts where Johnny Foreigner speaks with an American
    >accent, the majority use words of British origin and spelt correctly! :)



    Well, you have just contradicted yourself, Clot. If the majority of
    people use words of British origin they can't possibly be spelling the
    words correctly. Besides, this is an American help group. Born in
    America and bred in America. Sorry.

    You must use American English spelling while participating in this
    group.

    Alt
     
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 30, 2006
    #16
  17. davo

    clot Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:04:33 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:26:52 GMT, "clot" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    >>>>>> You'll have to excuse Donnie, he's off his medication again. He
    >>>>>> can't even spell 'arseholes'.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Arse isn't a word, it is just something the British use. Ass is
    >>>>> the proper and correct American way, which is the only way. The
    >>>>> sooner you learn American English, the better off you will be.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> I say, good fellow, just have a quick shuftie of this, would you?
    >>>> ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arse
    >>>
    >>> Clot, just as Europe is decrepit and dying, so is the Queen's
    >>> English. American English, on the other hand, is vibrant and robust
    >>> and should always be used in a group such as this. Surely, you have
    >>> to agree.

    >>
    >>
    >> Good heavens! You Left Pondians are so parochial. Whilst there are
    >> indeed certain outposts where Johnny Foreigner speaks with an
    >> American accent, the majority use words of British origin and spelt
    >> correctly! :)

    >
    >
    > Well, you have just contradicted yourself, Clot. If the majority of
    > people use words of British origin they can't possibly be spelling the
    > words correctly. Besides, this is an American help group. Born in
    > America and bred in America. Sorry.
    >
    > You must use American English spelling while participating in this
    > group.



    <vbg> Loved it! just hope my son helps to re-educate some of your
    patriots whilst he's amongst you! ;)

    P.S. I'll trying to remember to spell things the correct way!
     
    clot, Jul 30, 2006
    #17
  18. davo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > You must use American English spelling while participating in this
    > group.


    Sorry, have been to the chemist (keep to the pavement to avoid being
    knocked down) to get your prescription? Remember it's the pink coloured
    pills you need, and don't forget to say "Hi" to your neighbour while you're
    out ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
    Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
     
    Ponder, Jul 30, 2006
    #18
  19. davo

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya clot.

    In <news:Vy2zg.2516$t%> you wrote:

    > <vbg> Loved it! just hope my son helps to re-educate some of your
    > patriots whilst he's amongst you! ;)


    Yes, but are you local?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
    Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
     
    Ponder, Jul 30, 2006
    #19
  20. davo

    clot Guest

    Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> You must use American English spelling while participating in this
    >> group.

    >
    > Sorry, have been to the chemist (keep to the pavement to avoid being
    > knocked down) to get your prescription? Remember it's the pink
    > coloured pills you need, and don't forget to say "Hi" to your
    > neighbour while you're out ;)


    I doubt that Altie will understand you, Ponder. Do you mean you kept to
    the sidewalk whilst you went to the druggist?
     
    clot, Jul 30, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Devin Stoick

    You have to buy Dell memory from Dell?

    Devin Stoick, May 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,900
    Digiti
    May 27, 2004
  2. Adam
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    930
    George
    Nov 21, 2005
  3. Chris

    Dell Inspiron 600m & Dell recovery CD ?

    Chris, Jul 5, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    6,991
    Chris
    Jul 7, 2004
  4. Chris
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,750
    Chris
    Jul 20, 2004
  5. Rob

    Dell.com vs dell.co.nz prices

    Rob, Jul 18, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    887
    news.xtra.co.nz
    Jul 22, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page