Dell n series, good ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by name is, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. name is

    name is Guest

    Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
    comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

    PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
    MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
    HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only edit
    VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
    MONITOR No Monitor edit
    Accessories
    FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
    SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
    KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
    MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
    POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
    Software
    SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for
    Dell OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
    Service
    WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
    ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
    RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK
    or MON, etc.) edit
    PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
    ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
    Labels n-Series Sticker
    Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
    Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard
    --
    Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    http://www.rfruth.net

    1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

    name is, Mar 10, 2007

  2. name is

    Pen Guest

    name is wrote:
    > Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
    > comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?
    >
    > PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
    > OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
    > MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
    > HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
    > OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only edit
    > VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
    > MONITOR No Monitor edit
    > Accessories
    > FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
    > SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
    > KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
    > MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
    > POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
    > Software
    > SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for
    > Dell OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
    > Service
    > WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
    > ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
    > RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK
    > or MON, etc.) edit
    > PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
    > ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
    > Labels n-Series Sticker
    > Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
    > Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard

    That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
    to Dell's docs site and see.
    http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12

    Pen, Mar 10, 2007

  3. "name is" <> wrote in message
    > Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N series
    > comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?
    >
    > PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON™ 64 3500+ (2.20GHz, 512KB) edit
    > OPERATING SYSTEM FreeDOS Operating System Kit, n-Series, English edit
    > MEMORY 1GB DDR2 Non-ECC SDRAM,667MHz, (2 DIMM) edit
    > HARD DRIVE 80GB SATA, 7200 RPM Hard Drive with Data Burst Cache™ edit
    > OPTICAL DRIVE 16X DVD+/-RW SATA, Roxio Creator Dell Edition, Data Only
    > edit
    > VIDEO CARD Integrated NIVIDA Quadro NVS 210S Graphics edit
    > MONITOR No Monitor edit
    > Accessories
    > FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive edit
    > SPEAKERS No Internal Speaker edit
    > KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard, No Hot Keys, English, Black edit
    > MOUSE Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse with Scroll, Black edit
    > POWER PROTECTION APC 7-Outlet Essential SurgeArrest Surge Protector edit
    > Software
    > SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resources CD contains Diagnostics and Driver for Dell
    > OptiPlex n-Series Sys edit
    > Service
    > WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year On-site Economy Plan edit
    > ON-SITE SYSTEM SETUP No Onsite System Setup edit
    > RECYCLING Return shipping label for recovery of one IT piece (NTB, DSK or
    > MON, etc.) edit
    > PURCHASE INTENT Purchase is not intended for resale. edit
    > ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
    > Labels n-Series Sticker
    > Miscellaneous Dell Optiplex 740 Minitower
    > Lead Free Motherboard RoHS Compliant Lead Free Chassis and Motherboard
    > --
    > Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
    > http://www.rfruth.net
    >

    > 1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    > 1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    > 2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)

    Why you should not buy a Dell:
    http://celestial-reasoning.blogspot.com/2006/12/want-to-help-kill-our-troops-or.html

    Senior's Guide to Computers
    http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    Seniors Guide to Computers, Mar 10, 2007
  4. name is

    name is Guest

    Pen wrote:
    > name is wrote:
    >> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N
    >> series comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

    That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
    > to Dell's docs site and see.
    > http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12

    - snip -

    OptiPlex docs say it has a 80 watt power supply is that a typo or ...
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkill/Specs.htm#Power

    name is, Mar 17, 2007
  5. name is

    Pen Guest

    name is wrote:
    > Pen wrote:
    >> name is wrote:
    >>> Have my eye on a Dell n series (minitower, see below) $ 560.00, N
    >>> series comments ? (plan to dual boot XP & Ubuntu with it) good ?

    > That isn't an N series computer. It is an Optiplex 740. Good machine, Go
    >> to Dell's docs site and see.
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~cat=12

    > - snip -
    >
    > OptiPlex docs say it has a 80 watt power supply is that a typo or ...
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkill/Specs.htm#Power

    You have the WRONG machine. What you're looking for is the Optiplex 740
    as I pointed out to you before. The machine you are quoting is a socket
    7 one which is probably at least 8 years old. The 740 jhas a 305 watt
    supply.

    Pen, Mar 17, 2007