    Nonesuch Guest

    Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the screen
    goes blank.

    Nonesuch, Jan 17, 2013

  2. Nonesuch

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Nonesuch" wrote:

    > Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the
    > screen goes blank.

    You sure you got the correct model number? You sure it isn't an E153FP
    (F, not E)? I can find an online user manual for the FP but nothing
    listed at Dell for an EP.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E153fpb/En/index.htm

    I was thinking that maybe you had the wrong input selected, like you had
    VGA selected for input but the video cable went to an HDMI connection on
    the back of the monitor. However,

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E153fpb/En/attach.htm

    shows only one connection (VGA) so it's not because auto-sense on the
    multiple connections was picking the wrong one. There's only one
    connection.

    So how long is "momentarily"? When cold booting the computer, what's
    the last thing you see on the screen? Do you see the BIOS announcement?
    Do you see the POST screen? Do you see anything showing the OS is
    you cold booting the computer and loading a fresh instance of the
    /*unidentified*/ operating system or are you resuming from a low-power
    mode (standby or hibernate)?

    You never mentioned WHICH operating system you are using. If you are
    getting partially into the load of the operating system, does it have
    selections on load up to let you pick a safe or reduced functionality
    mode? If so, have you tried that?

    VanguardLH, Jan 17, 2013

  3. Nonesuch

    Paul Guest

    Nonesuch wrote:
    > Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the screen
    > goes blank.

    You can start by changing the model number to

    E153FP

    Does it look like this ?

    http://snpi.dell.com/snp/images/products/large/320-3878.jpg

    Maybe that'll make it easier to find.

    Stand unbolted.

    http://s.ecrater.com/stores/147493/4d5ed48094bad_147493b.jpg

    Power board. From Ebay.

    http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png

    "DESCRIPTION

    Repair kit for Dell TFT-LCD monitors.

    These are the components that commonly fail which can cause
    the backlight problems. This kit addresses the following issues:
    no power, blinking power light, black/blank screen, dim/dark screen.

    These parts are interchangeable with C5706 (C5707) and FET's D10PF,
    FQU11P06, or J598 (FU9024N)

    Works with 48.LIG02.A01, 48.L1A02.A31 inverter boards and other
    various power supply boards.

    It is VERY IMPORTANT to resolder all the joints of the inverter
    transformers." [Well, maybe - visual inspection is your friend]

    That doesn't match your description though. Your description,
    of having the monitor light up for a couple seconds, says
    yours is still largely functional. Maybe nothing is burned yet.

    Assuming that is the same power board as is in your monitor
    (knowing Ebay, not likely), the board consists of two sides.
    The left hand side, has the high voltage to run the CCFL
    backlights. The right hand side converts 120VAC (or 230VAC
    depending on country), into a low voltage DC, like maybe
    12V or lower.

    When the screen comes on for two seconds (lights up), then goes
    off, that's a backlight/inverter problem. The inverter transformers
    in this case, are on the left hand side of the photo. If the
    inverter transformer had a shorted winding, you might never
    see it from the outside. Or, there could be significant
    discoloration, indicating stress.

    The inverter comes on for two seconds, then goes off, is a sign
    the inverter is overloaded. CCFLs, the voltage across the tube
    is high at first ("ignite" stage), then drops back as the tube
    heats up ("burn" stage). In this case, it's as the tube starts
    to draw more current, because there's now live mercury vapor
    in the tube, that is when the inverter feels the load, and
    it winks out. The way CCFLs work, is really quite twitchy,
    so it doesn't take much to tip over the circuit.

    If you're not handy with a soldering iron, know nothing about
    electronics, about all you can do is swap parts (whole new
    power board). And the vendors on Ebay, don't sell "exact substitutes".
    In this case, the seller was offering parts, like a set of
    transistors, on the theory they were somehow involved. So they
    weren't selling new power boards. And if you get a "used"
    power board for E153FP, there is no knowing how long it
    will last - on power boards with the "bad cap" problem,
    it might not last very long at all.

    The other boards in the monitor, are relatively standard in function.
    There will be a data conversion type of board. And that has the
    VGA or DVI connector on it, and at least one chip to convert
    the data stream into something the panel can use.

    The CCFL tubes, have a rated lifespan of somewhere in the
    vicinity of 15000 to 25000 hours. When a monitor goes bad,
    as yours has done, it's not usually the CCFL tubes. It's more
    likely to be the inverter. And in this case, your monitor
    has the AC power cord on the monitor itself (no wall wart
    adapter). And that means it's an integrated power board.
    And now, they put inverters (CCFL power) on one half of the
    power board, and the other half does the conversion from
    mains voltage. At one time, the inverters were a separate
    board, long and narrow, and individually replaceable. But
    for economy, now the whole thing sits on the power board.

    (CCFL and inverter - even has the same two powder blue
    HV coupling caps...)

    http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/47627/IMG_0370-800.jpg

    (Inverter boards used to be separately replaceable...
    My monitor uses this style.)

    http://media.digikey.com/photos/Microsemi Photos/LXMG1626-12-64.jpg

    *******

    http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv356/weefa/BENQ-INVERTER.png

    The 450V capacitor in that power board photo, in the center
    of the board, is just as dangerous as the 450V capacitor
    in an ATX supply. While we assume the charge bleeds off after
    it's been sitting there for a time, a careful (still alive) repair
    person, takes care not to touch components like that, without
    due caution. You can fashion a bleeder resistor, and drain
    the charge off it. *Do not* drain such a capacitor with
    the tip of a screwdriver. I tried that once, in an unpowered
    short wave tube radio, and the sound can be quite loud and
    scare the crap out of you. It'll scare the crap out
    of anyone else in the house as well. Using a bleeder
    resistor (and verifying the resistor is in working condition
    with your multimeter, after each usage), will drain
    any dangerous voltage. Using a hand calculator and
    Ohms law, you work out what a reasonable value of
    resistance would be. Hint - It would not be one ohm. It's
    a much higher resistance. Obviously a low resistance
    (like the screwdriver tip), is a problem (ka-blammo).

    The inverter section on the left, involves even higher
    voltages, but they're AC and capacitively coupled by the
    powder blue colored HV caps near the inverter cable
    connectors. I don't think there's a lot of farads of
    storage involved there. The coupling caps are around 22pF.
    The black electrolytic in the center is the one I'd be
    staying away from.

    I've only been thrown across my basement once, by
    high voltage. One minute, I'm working at the bench.
    Next minute, I'm on the other side of the basement,
    on the floor, and can't remember how I got there.
    I traveled a considerable distance when my muscles
    seized. I was working on something with definite high
    voltages involved at the time. I've been a bit more
    careful since then. [I'm still alive...]

    *******

    You could:

    1) Remove the monitor stand and back plastic cover.
    2) Look for a part number on the power board.
    Don't touch anything.
    3) Use a Google search, search for the power board
    part number. Gather photos like the one I found.
    Maybe if you get enough photos, that all agree,
    you can trust the descriptive text as to what
    typically fails on the unit.

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 17, 2013
  4. Nonesuch

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Nonesuch" wrote:

    > Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the screen
    > goes blank.

    From your new but *disconnected* post:
    "This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes"

    You see absolutely nothing painted on the screen before it goes blank?
    No branding message from the BIOS, no POST screen, nothing? Then how do
    you know the monitor ever "came up" to show anything? Since the monitor
    starts blank and then you say it goes blank then there must have been
    some change between the two blank states.

    Have you powered down your monitor when you powered down (not go into
    hibernate) your computer? Are the computer and monitor connected to a
    UPS, power surge protector, or some other power regulation device?

    Have you tried jiggling the video cable at both ends (where it connects
    to the video jack on the computer and to the jack on the monitor) after
    it goes blank?

    When the monitor goes blank, get a bright flashlight and shine into the
    monitor while trying different angles. Can you see a display that would
    show if the backlamps were working inside the monitor?

    VanguardLH, Jan 18, 2013
  5. Nonesuch

    Nonesuch Guest

    "Nonesuch" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the
    > screen goes blank.

    I originally posted a request for a service manual.
    Can anyone advise me on how I can obtain one?

    Nonesuch, Jan 19, 2013
  6. Nonesuch

    Nonesuch Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > "Nonesuch" wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the
    >> screen
    >> goes blank.

    > From your new but *disconnected* post:
    > "This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes"
    >
    > You see absolutely nothing painted on the screen before it goes blank?
    > No branding message from the BIOS, no POST screen, nothing? Then how do
    > you know the monitor ever "came up" to show anything? Since the monitor
    > starts blank and then you say it goes blank then there must have been
    > some change between the two blank states.
    >
    > Have you powered down your monitor when you powered down (not go into
    > hibernate) your computer? Are the computer and monitor connected to a
    > UPS, power surge protector, or some other power regulation device?
    >
    > Have you tried jiggling the video cable at both ends (where it connects
    > to the video jack on the computer and to the jack on the monitor) after
    > it goes blank?
    >
    > When the monitor goes blank, get a bright flashlight and shine into the
    > monitor while trying different angles. Can you see a display that would
    > show if the backlamps were working inside the monitor?

    I stand corrected about crossposting, but may I remind you I was asking
    about where a service manual could be obtained.

    Nonesuch, Jan 19, 2013
  7. Nonesuch

    Paul Guest

    Nonesuch wrote:
    > "Nonesuch" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone help? The video appears momentarily at first and then the
    >> screen goes blank.
    >>

    > I originally posted a request for a service manual.
    > Can anyone advise me on how I can obtain one?

    Contact Dell.

    If it's not on the Dell web site, then they're
    not likely to give you a copy by just asking.

    But the person you talk to at Dell, should
    be able to tell you what factory authorized
    repair facilities, would have copies of
    those manuals. You can then talk to the repair
    facility, and see if the repair facility had
    to pay to get that manual and schematic.

    For Dell computers, they do provide basic
    information. And that's because the computer
    contains user serviceable parts (i.e. add a
    hard drive). The manuals in that case, tell
    you how to take various assemblies out of
    the laptop or desktop computer. A simple
    drawing of the motherboard is provided,
    identifying major components. No schematic
    is provided.

    A monitor has no user serviceable parts
    inside, which is why a service manual
    will not be on the web site.

    A factory authorized repair facility, is
    the party most likely to have docs.

    Traditionally, manufacturers charged service
    shops, for each and every manual and schematics
    provided. The manufacturers made themselves a
    small fortune, by charging for that stuff. Because,
    they didn't just charge to cover the cost of
    printing or reproduction, they charged enough
    to make a tidy profit from it. And that
    tradition, is why even today, we're not
    "flooded with service manuals". Someone
    has to pay for them. If a TV repair shop
    spent $10,000 collecting schematics,
    they're not just going to give you one.

    You have another avenue to explore. Since
    I saw the word "Benq" with respect to that
    monitor, it could be that Benq made the
    monitor for Dell. With Dell branding on it.
    There could be a Benq model very similar
    in nature to the Dell. That doesn't mean
    Benq parts are easier to find or anything,
    just that you might have a second source of
    information available. (So now you can look
    for a Dell schematic, or a Benq schematic.)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 19, 2013
  8. Nonesuch

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Nonesuch" wrote:

    > I stand corrected about crossposting, but may I remind you I was asking
    > about where a service manual could be obtained.

    Before claiming what you said, go read what you said. Your Subject does
    NOT request a source to obtain the service manual. The body of your
    post asks for help on a video problem, not on how to obtain a manual.

    Your reply TWO DAYS LATER says, "I originally posted a request for a
    service manual." That is NOT what you asked *originally*. Why would
    you even bother to describe a problem if your original intent was only
    to find the service manual?

    Okie dokie then. You don't want help resolving a particular problem as
    you originally asked. Now you only want to get the service manual.
    Follow Paul's advice: contact Dell. Dell might not have a service
    manual for this particular model (they may use another similar model for
    a service manual) or they will charge you for it (perhaps only for the
    shipping & handling charges if you're lucky).

    When you do get the service manual, you'll be disappointed that it does
    not specifically address your video problem. For example, if the
    problem is with the CCFLs, those are part of the "display assembly"
    which Dell may not consider a user-repairable item. Last time I tried
    to get info from a monitor maker, they only offered to replace the
    entire assembly, not the CCFLs within it, the diffuser, power converter,
    and anything inside the assembly. Getting the assembly was more than
    half the cost of a new monitor. Plus when you take apart the assembly,
    you'll damage some parts which you can buy in a kit to replace when you
    put it all back together -- and hope it all works. You can buy and
    solder in the replacement CCFLs that are probably better than the old
    ones, you can buy a replacement power converter (since they often go bad
    when the monitor goes bad), you can buy the repair kits to put it all
    back together again, and you can hope it all works. You might save
    maybe 40% the cost of buying the assembly on a repair you don't will
    work. Or you can spend more on buying the entire display assembly. Or
    even more buying a new monitor. Although I probably have the skill set
    needed to replace CCFLs and converter, the price was too high and I went
    with buying a new monitor. I would only do the repair if I were a
    hobbyist and this wasn't a critical component (I had other working
    monitors) or did shop repairs (but then the cost to my customer for all
    the parts along with labor cost would likely outweigh them buying a
    whole new display assembly).

    You can find some videos at Youtube on how to dismantle the display
    assembly, desolder and solder in the CCFLs, how to replace the
    converter, and what parts need to get replaced on putting it back
    together. If that's what you like, go for it. You'll be lucky if the
    service manual even describes how to just replace the display assembly.
    It won't go into how to dismantle it to replace CCFLs or other internal
    parts. It'll show how to do a screen replacement, not how to rebuild
    the screen. You can buy screen replacements (the entire display
    assembly) for cheaper from online parts stores than getting it from Dell
    (well, Dell won't send you one and only offer to repair the monitor
    themself which means they replace it).

    VanguardLH, Jan 21, 2013
  9. Nonesuch

    Guest

    Just Go And Check Transistor Q739 Q740 Q759 and Q760 1 of them is short check it and replace it
    it will work surely
    Thanks...

    , Nov 23, 2013