    Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?

    Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.

    TIA.
    Neil, May 20, 2004

  2. Neil

    Splitskull Guest

    iT'S THE lcd PANEL ITSELF

    oops damn caps...

    --

    ------Splitskull-----

    Splitskull, May 21, 2004

  3. Neil

    Stuart Guest

    Re: Dell Latitude LS broken screen - troubleshooting informationneeded

    Neil wrote:

    > I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
    > problem.
    >
    > When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
    > the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
    > stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
    > external monitor.
    >
    > I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
    > Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
    >
    > Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.

    Sounds like the screen has gone, return it to Dell to get it fixed if it
    is still under warranty otherwise you will need to pay to get it fixed.
    If you have tried to fix it yourself then you have voided the warranty
    and paying for it will be your only choice.

    Stuart
    Stuart, May 21, 2004
  4. Neil

    Jerry G. Guest

    This sounds like a panel failure. The panel should be replaced. DELL will
    not sell service parts directly. You will have to send it to them. If you
    try to fix it yourself, you may do more damage, thus increasing the cost of
    the final repair.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., May 21, 2004
  5. "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > This sounds like a panel failure. The panel should be replaced. DELL will
    > not sell service parts directly. You will have to send it to them. If you
    > try to fix it yourself, you may do more damage, thus increasing the cost

    of
    > the final repair.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====
    >

    > "Neil" <> wrote in message
    >
    > I have a Dell Latitude LS laptop that has has developed a LCD screen
    > problem.
    >
    > When the laptop is off, the screen is black (as normal). On boot up
    > the screen turns completely white and there are horizontal black
    > stripes across the screen. The laptop works fine when hooked up to an
    > external monitor.
    >
    > I have replaced the inverter board but this didn't fix the problem.
    > Could it be the flex cable, the lcd panel itself, something else...?
    >
    > Any suggestions on troubleshooting this problem will be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA.

    You don't have to go to Dell for the parts if you shop around on the net you
    will be able to get a new one. Try all the laptop parts suppliers e-mail
    them, best thing to do is to get the Dell part number off the LCD if you
    cant find it phone Dell or a Dell distributor and way yourself as your going
    to buy one and get the part number that way. I've worked with Dell kit for
    years now and had no problems getting spare parts for them.

    Duncan
    Duncan Newell, May 21, 2004
  6. Unless there is physical damage (crack, shatter) to the screen, it can be
    repaired relatively inexpensively ($200 or less).

    It sounds like the LCD matrix driver/controller has failed.

    Edward J. Neth, May 22, 2004
  7. Neil

    Robert Guest

    Yes they will