Dell Latitude D610 w/ Docking station - USB keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jstewmon@gmail.com, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
    resolve.

    I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
    sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.

    I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
    station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly throughout
    the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually less that 5
    seconds) stop working or a key will repeat................. (those dots
    are an example - it JUST happened).

    Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always plays
    the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly followed by
    the sound of a device being plugged in.

    When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a concurrent
    event associated with the problem.

    All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
    the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
    the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.

    My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.

    Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect) even
    when undocked with no peripherals attached!

    Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

    , Dec 14, 2005

  2. Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 14 Dec 2005 12:14:39 -0800, wrote:

    >I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
    >resolve.
    >
    >I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
    >sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.
    >
    >I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
    >station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly throughout
    >the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually less that 5
    >seconds) stop working or a key will repeat................. (those dots
    >are an example - it JUST happened).
    >
    >Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always plays
    >the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly followed by
    >the sound of a device being plugged in.
    >
    >When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a concurrent
    >event associated with the problem.
    >
    >All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
    >the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
    >the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.
    >
    >My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.
    >
    >Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect) even
    >when undocked with no peripherals attached!
    >
    >Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

    Could be a hardware problem :(

    Tried another keyboard?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Plato Guest

    Same thing happens when you tried a non-usb mouse/keyboard?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Jimmy Dean spewed forth:
    > On 14 Dec 2005 12:14:39 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> I have a unique problem that Dell Gold support has not been able to
    >> resolve.
    >>
    >> I'm running XP SP2 on a Latitude D610. I use a docking station (not
    >> sure of the exact model) at work for all my peripherals.
    >>
    >> I have a usb keyboard (sk-8135) and mouse plugged into the docking
    >> station, and both work normally most* of the time. Randomly
    >> throughout the day, however, my keyboard will temporarily (usually
    >> less that 5 seconds) stop working or a key will
    >> repeat................. (those dots are an example - it JUST
    >> happened).
    >>
    >> Whenever the keyboard becomes non-reponsive, the computer always
    >> plays the sound associated with unplugging a usb device shortly
    >> followed by the sound of a device being plugged in.
    >>
    >> When the character repeat happens, there may or may not be a
    >> concurrent event associated with the problem.
    >>
    >> All my connections seem to be clean and tight. I've tried switching
    >> the mouse and the keyboard ports and the problem persists in exactly
    >> the same manner, so I don't think it's a port issue.
    >>
    >> My device manager incidates up-to-date drivers for all devices.
    >>
    >> Occassionally, my laptop will play the sound (disconnect, connect)
    >> even when undocked with no peripherals attached!
    >>
    >> Any ideas or proposed solutions are greatly appreciated.

    > Could be a hardware problem :(
    >
    > Tried another keyboard?

    My first thought too <g?! In fact, I'd suggest a PS2 keyboard if the port
    replicator has a connection for one.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    This is the second keyboard i've tried (same usb dell model)... I'm not
    sure if i can get a ps2 keyboard from the hardware department, but
    maybe i can at least get an adapter to try - i've got ps2 ports on my
    docking station.

    , Dec 15, 2005
  6. Guest

    Thanks for the responses so far... More suggestions are still welcome,
    and I'll post the solution when i find it!

    , Dec 15, 2005
  7. Guest

    Well... The problem was resolved by getting a new laptop - apparently
    there was some problem with the hardware on the laptop that was causing
    a connection problem with the docking station.

    , Dec 17, 2005