    Can somebody please tell me how to set it up as a CDROM drive.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Ted
    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Ted Capon

    Wintr Guest

    Ted Capon wrote:
    > Please can somebody help me!
    >
    > I have a Dell Latitude notebook which I got from a Computer Fair 3 years
    > ago. It works fine and I am running XP Pro on it.
    > The CDROM that came with it packed up so I purchased an external CDROM from
    > eBay. This came with a lead which has a label "For use only with the
    > floppy-disk drive".
    > The CDROM definitely has power to it and opens and closes but the notebook
    > only recognizes it as a floppy drive and I can't read anything from a CD.
    > Can somebody please tell me how to set it up as a CDROM drive.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ted

    If this is the "old" C- Series then I have some bad news for you. You
    cant do what you wish to do, the parallel connector you are speaking
    about is just what it is marked for "floppy only", a model number would
    help though but AFAIK you are battling a lost cause.
    Wintr, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Ted Capon

    Ted Capon Guest

    Many thanks for responding. I'm sure that you are right about this.

    The model is the Latitude CPi Model No PPL

    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Ted Capon

    whosbest54 Guest

    In article <dsfnqs$656$>,
    says...

    >Many thanks for responding. I'm sure that you are right about this.
    >
    >The model is the Latitude CPi Model No PPL
    >
    >"Wintr" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ted Capon wrote:
    >>> Please can somebody help me!
    >>>
    >>> I have a Dell Latitude notebook which I got from a Computer Fair 3 years
    >>> ago. It works fine and I am running XP Pro on it.
    >>> The CDROM that came with it packed up so I purchased an external CDROM
    >>> from
    >>> eBay. This came with a lead which has a label "For use only with the
    >>> floppy-disk drive".
    >>> The CDROM definitely has power to it and opens and closes but the
    >>> notebook
    >>> only recognizes it as a floppy drive and I can't read anything from a CD.
    >>> Can somebody please tell me how to set it up as a CDROM drive.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Ted

    >> If this is the "old" C- Series then I have some bad news for you. You
    >> cant do what you wish to do, the parallel connector you are speaking
    >> about is just what it is marked for "floppy only", a model number would
    >> help though but AFAIK you are battling a lost cause.

    The floppy connector to the parallel port never worked for the CD drives on
    these older Dell Latitudes. The CD drives only worked in the bays. The
    cable will only work with a floppy. Can't you slide the drive into the drive
    bay?

    whosbest54

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/

    http://members.aol.com/whosbest54/rmb.html
    whosbest54, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Ted Capon

    Wintr Guest

    Just checked an old c600 lying around that is model pp01L.
    Unfortunately you cant do what you wish too as I was afraid with that
    model either. This does have the two battery/expansion bays in the
    front doesnt it? If it does then it should slide into it. Otherwise I
    would look into getting it repaired, its still a decent machine and
    still serviceable.
    Wintr, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Ted Capon

    Ted Capon Guest

    The new drive is much thicker than the original one and won't fit in the
    bay.
    I've discarded the old one anyway ( actually my wife threw it out! ) so I'll
    have to look around and see if anyone is selling a working drive.

    Thank you all for your responses.

    Ted Capon, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Ted Capon

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:dsgclb$q79$,
    Ted Capon spewed forth:

    > "Wintr" <> wrote in message
    >> Just checked an old c600 lying around that is model pp01L.
    >> Unfortunately you cant do what you wish too as I was afraid with that
    >> model either. This does have the two battery/expansion bays in the
    >> front doesnt it? If it does then it should slide into it. Otherwise I
    >> would look into getting it repaired, its still a decent machine and
    >> still serviceable.

    > The new drive is much thicker than the original one and won't fit in
    > the bay.
    > I've discarded the old one anyway ( actually my wife threw it out! )
    > so I'll have to look around and see if anyone is selling a working
    > drive.
    > Thank you all for your responses.

    Does the new drive also have a floppy disk unit attached? If so, you can
    probably disassemble the CD-ROM from floppy drive. My old Inspiron 7500 and
    7000 systems had both drives built together like that. But the CD-ROM unit
    could be removed and replaced or used elsewhere.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 10, 2006