    Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    is outside the warranty period?

    TIA
    darkknight, Sep 10, 2007

  2. darkknight

    impossible Guest

    "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    > competitive price.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    > likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    > seems to be a respected brand.

    Trying to compare "Dell laptops" with "Toshiba laptops" is pointless,
    because every brand (toss in Sony, Lenovo, HP, Acer) is a mixed bag of good
    and bad models/services. In general, I'd say, it's really hard to go wrong
    with **any** of the major names. But if you can't actually test drive
    something you're interested in, then your best bet is to look for detailed
    reviews of specific machines (http://www.notebookreview.com/ is one useful
    source, along wityh PC Mag, Laptop Mag, and others), and then also have a
    look on the various vendor web site forums to see what people are
    complaining about ;)

    > Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    > is outside the warranty period?

    About the same as everyone else -- they'll be happy to take your business at
    a steep price. Look for a three-year **on-site** warranty, because anything
    less is just going to drive you nuts. I've had 6 different notebooks from
    three different major vendors over the past 9 years and I've yet to have a
    single problem that would let me cash in on any warranty services, but
    peace-of-mind is a good thing.
    impossible, Sep 10, 2007

  3. darkknight

    darkknight Guest

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:15:49 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    >> competitive price.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    >> likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    >> seems to be a respected brand.
    >>

    >Trying to compare "Dell laptops" with "Toshiba laptops" is pointless,
    >because every brand (toss in Sony, Lenovo, HP, Acer) is a mixed bag of good
    >and bad models/services. In general, I'd say, it's really hard to go wrong
    >with **any** of the major names. But if you can't actually test drive
    >something you're interested in, then your best bet is to look for detailed
    >reviews of specific machines (http://www.notebookreview.com/ is one useful
    >source, along wityh PC Mag, Laptop Mag, and others), and then also have a
    >look on the various vendor web site forums to see what people are
    >complaining about ;)
    >
    >> Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    >> is outside the warranty period?
    >>

    >About the same as everyone else -- they'll be happy to take your business at
    >a steep price. Look for a three-year **on-site** warranty, because anything
    >less is just going to drive you nuts. I've had 6 different notebooks from
    >three different major vendors over the past 9 years and I've yet to have a
    >single problem that would let me cash in on any warranty services, but
    >peace-of-mind is a good thing.

    Thanks! The Dell Inspiron 1520 (the one I'm interested in) was given
    a good review at that website you mentioned
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3846

    - runs quiet and cool.
    darkknight, Sep 10, 2007
  4. darkknight

    Dave Taylor Guest

    darkknight <> wrote in

    > - runs quiet and cool.

    Important in a laptop IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 10, 2007
  5. darkknight

    Fred Guest

    > Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    > competitive price.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    > likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    > seems to be a respected brand.
    >
    > Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    > is outside the warranty period?
    >
    >Who cares about service outside the warranty period. You can easily get
    >parts and find a cheaper service outfit than Dell or any of the biggies,
    >for the same reason its always cheaper to get a vehicle serviced away from
    >the big franchise dealers after warranty period.

    Other than that, I have used my Dell inspiron 2650 daily for over 5 years,
    and I've really used it hard - its done everything. Made zillions of CDs,
    all sorts of photography work, plus all the usual stuff. I use it several
    hours per day - its my only computer. Repairs amount to one new keyboard
    which cost around $20 and was fitted in two minutes, a replacement lid. I
    ordered it online - arrived in days, and was fitted by a local shop - total
    cost was about $120. (my fault completely for breaking the old one) Have
    just bought first replacement battery (five years of flattening the battery
    3 or 4 times a week and recharging overnight is not too bad) I bought two
    new batteries on trade me for $60 - total for two. Only other thing was to
    upgrade ram to 512 from 256 a year or so ago. This computer has been
    brilliant - I love it. Bought my partner a cheap Dell from Warehouse over 3
    years ago. It doesn't get as much use, but its been just great. I've had
    experience with HP and Compaq, Toshiba, Acer laptops and they have all
    given hardware trouble, although minor in some cases. I'm sticking with Dell
    and will upgrade to a new one soon - just waiting for Vista to settle down,
    which I'm sure it will soon. But I'm sure this old one will run for many
    years.
    Fred, Sep 11, 2007
  6. darkknight

    John Guest

    > Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    > competitive price.

    That is the reason I purchased on

    > Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    > likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    > seems to be a respected brand.

    I think the actual built quality is poor, but it seems quite reliable. I
    have a 3 year old inspiron 8600. The only issue is that the play button on
    hte case no longer works.

    > Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    > is outside the warranty period?
    >
    > TIA

    I never had a cliam, but if you are buying it for personal use, you are
    covered by the CGA which should cover you for up to 5 years.
    John, Sep 12, 2007
  7. darkknight

    impossible Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    >> competitive price.

    > That is the reason I purchased on
    >

    >> Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    >> likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    >> seems to be a respected brand.
    >>

    > I think the actual built quality is poor, but it seems quite reliable. I
    > have a 3 year old inspiron 8600. The only issue is that the play button on
    > hte case no longer works.
    >
    >> Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    >> is outside the warranty period?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > I never had a cliam, but if you are buying it for personal use, you are
    > covered by the CGA which should cover you for up to 5 years.

    If you can cite an actual case where a disputes tribunal ever made a ruling
    that was even close to being so generous, I'd love to read about it.
    Meanwhile, do study the vendor warranties carefully, because they offer a
    much more realistic guide to what you can expect your rights to amount to in
    practice.
    impossible, Sep 12, 2007
  8. darkknight

    EMB Guest

    John wrote:

    > I never had a cliam, but if you are buying it for personal use, you are
    > covered by the CGA which should cover you for up to 5 years.

    ROTFLMAO

    IRD will allow a laptop to be depreciated fully over 3 years. Their
    depreciation rates are never particularly generous and normally reflect
    expected lifespans quite well. I'd suggest that getting the CGA to
    apply to a laptop over 3 years old would be nigh on impossible. I would
    also expect that if you took a vendor to the DT to argue your case that
    they would apply the above logic with respect to lifespan.
    EMB, Sep 12, 2007
  9. darkknight

    John Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    >>> competitive price.

    >> That is the reason I purchased on
    >>

    >>> Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    >>> likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    >>> seems to be a respected brand.
    >>>

    >> I think the actual built quality is poor, but it seems quite reliable. I
    >> have a 3 year old inspiron 8600. The only issue is that the play button
    >> on hte case no longer works.
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    >>> is outside the warranty period?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> I never had a cliam, but if you are buying it for personal use, you are
    >> covered by the CGA which should cover you for up to 5 years.

    > If you can cite an actual case where a disputes tribunal ever made a
    > ruling that was even close to being so generous, I'd love to read about
    > it. Meanwhile, do study the vendor warranties carefully, because they
    > offer a much more realistic guide to what you can expect your rights to
    > amount to in practice.

    I remember seeing a case where someone successfully won a case against
    harvey norman after a harddrive failed after about 5 years in a laptop. The
    dispute tribunal is however very hit and miss.
    John, Sep 12, 2007
  10. darkknight

    EMB Guest

    John wrote:
    > I remember seeing a case where someone successfully won a case against
    > harvey norman after a harddrive failed after about 5 years in a laptop. The
    > dispute tribunal is however very hit and miss.

    If it's the case I remember then it was only just out of factory warranty.
    EMB, Sep 12, 2007
  11. darkknight

    Geoff Guest

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:45:30 +1200, darkknight wrote:

    > Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    > competitive price.
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    > likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    > seems to be a respected brand.
    >
    > Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    > is outside the warranty period?
    >
    > TIA

    Is it free? If not, it is to expensive. They don't call it "Dell Hell" for
    nothing. I have a Dell 5150, and it had the DVD writer, power supply, top
    of case, keyboard, motherboard (twice), keyboard all replaced under
    warrenty. The DVD drive died again just out of warrenty by a couple of
    months. Dell were completely unhelpful, and you could forget calling tech
    support - they don't speak english and if it is out of warrentee, they
    won't even talk to you. Forget the Consumer Garentees Act, it apparently
    doesn't apply in the backblocks of India. A replacement drive was $380, so
    I passed and bought an external drive. The screen now has a slight reddish
    tinge as well.

    Buy a computer with local support and a lcoal office you can thump on the
    desk, and take to the small claims court. Dell has no NZ office or anything
    more than a postbox. The Companies Office address is a legal firm.

    Geoff
    Geoff, Sep 12, 2007
  12. darkknight

    Geoff Guest

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:28:25 +1200, John wrote:

    > I never had a cliam, but if you are buying it for personal use, you are
    > covered by the CGA which should cover you for up to 5 years.

    Try takign Dell to the DT - they don't seem to have a NZ address.
    Buy somehting which actually has local support and a real company, not just
    a post box and phoens answered in India.
    Geoff, Sep 12, 2007
  13. In message <1l5tioa3synyg.1162qvmkuuu6t$>, Geoff wrote:

    > Forget the Consumer Garentees Act, it apparently doesn't apply in the
    > backblocks of India.

    You can complain to the Commerce Commission, and also I think the Consumers'
    Institute. And there's always Fair Go...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 12, 2007
  14. Good value but 1-2 week delivery time. Credit card charged upon order, not
    delayed until when item is shipped as is the norm with most other mail-order
    outfits.
    Whalemeat is Yummy, Sep 12, 2007
  15. darkknight

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:36:23 +1200, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >"darkknight" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Dell laptops interest me because they are customisable and have a
    >> competitive price.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea what the quality is like - are they more
    >> likely to develop a fault after 2 or 3 years than say, Toshiba, which
    >> seems to be a respected brand.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what Dell's response is like for fixing a laptop that
    >> is outside the warranty period?
    >>
    >>Who cares about service outside the warranty period. You can easily get
    >>parts and find a cheaper service outfit than Dell or any of the biggies,
    >>for the same reason its always cheaper to get a vehicle serviced away from
    >>the big franchise dealers after warranty period.

    I dunno about that, I wound up always going to Toyota for repairs in the end
    because although they charged slightly more per hour, they were bloody quick at
    doing the repair. This meant I didn't actually pay much more, and I had my car
    back quicker.
    Craig Shore, Sep 13, 2007