    that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
    with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?

    Thanks,
    EAgle, Aug 24, 2003

  2. EAgle

    Sonn Guest

    "EAgle" <> wrote in message
    news:bia1q7$7as$...
    > Hi Guys,
    > I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I

    was
    > looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
    > store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
    > anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
    > that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
    > with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I have a Dell Latitude, great service (0800 through to Aussie), and they
    seem to be able to advise on any accessories / parts no problem.
    S.

    ---
    Sonn, Aug 24, 2003

  3. EAgle

    Rupert Guest

    0800 through to India and Singapore in fact - still great service

    Rupert, Aug 24, 2003
  4. EAgle

    EAgle Guest

    Thanks for that. I'll be dual booting XP and Linux but i guess its a small
    price to pay when I consider the difference in price

    EAgle, Aug 25, 2003
  5. EAgle

    techie Guest

    On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:19:07 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:51:00 +1200, EAgle wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Guys,
    >> I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I was
    >> looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
    >> store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
    >> anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
    >> that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
    >> with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?

    >If you plan to install Linux, avoid Dell. They will refuse to support you
    >until you reinstall windows. (even if it's a dual boot setup)

    So whoever uses support anyway? Besides, some of the Dells use
    hard-drive carriers that are easy to swap out without opening up the
    system. So buy an extra carrier, pull their HD, order a 40- or 60-gig
    replacement, and do what you want. If you have problems, put the
    original HD back.

    FWIW I've been using an old Dell Latitude CPxH that I bought used
    several years ago. It runs Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD just fine
    despite the relatively slow CPU. The motherboard blew up recently (my
    fault, spilled a drink into the keyboard) but I'm so happy with the
    machine I'm going to replace the motherboard rather than get a more
    modern laptop.
    techie, Aug 25, 2003
  6. EAgle

    techie Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:18:21 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:55:18 -0500, techie wrote:
    >
    >> FWIW I've been using an old Dell Latitude CPxH that I bought used
    >> several years ago. It runs Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD just fine
    >> despite the relatively slow CPU. The motherboard blew up recently (my
    >> fault, spilled a drink into the keyboard) but I'm so happy with the
    >> machine I'm going to replace the motherboard rather than get a more
    >> modern laptop.

    >Take it apart, clean board with warm soapy water, dry, reassmble, carry on.

    The first thing I did was to clean the board thoroughly with
    circuit-board cleaner. It didn't help. I think the damage was probably
    done by having the liquid short out something with the unit powered
    up. I could probably have it fixed but flat-rate repair prices are
    running about the same as a used motherboard. I may even buy a used
    Latitude and keep this one for the spare parts.

    I must say, this is the easist laptop I've ever taken apart. Most
    laptops nowadays use snap-together plastic latches that need special
    tools or fixtures to get inside, or they hide a few screws under a
    "warranty void if removed" label. On the Latitude all I had to do was
    remove some well-marked screws on the bottom and a few on the back,
    and it opened right up. It only took two more screws to get the
    motherboard out of the clamshell.
    techie, Aug 25, 2003
  7. EAgle

    techie Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:52:36 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:47:03 -0500, techie wrote:
    >
    >>>Take it apart, clean board with warm soapy water, dry, reassmble, carry on.

    >> The first thing I did was to clean the board thoroughly with
    >> circuit-board cleaner. It didn't help.

    >What'd you spill? I rebuilt a lattitude last year after a friend's kids
    >spilt ice tea into it while switched on.

    A glass of soy-milk. Must be very conductive stuff. The computer shut
    down by itself while I was reaching for the power switch and hasn't
    powered up since.

    >It didn't want to go at all until cleaned. The hard drive needed cleaning
    >too - the board had to be detatched, cleaned and reassembled. You need a
    >t4 driver to do that.
    >
    >The other comments are noted. It was one of the easiest laptops to pull
    >apart I've ever seen. Pity it feels flimsy in use. :-(

    My CPxH is built like a tank. It's certainly better build than this HP
    notebook I borrowed from my folks. The keys are too clacky, too. I
    really miss the solid feel of the Dell keyboard.

    Sad what's happened to HP. There was a time when I'd have bought
    anything they made sight-unseen, and been happy to pay a premium price
    for it. Now I wouldn't touch their junk.

    >And as for Dell support, they lost 40 sales/year at $orkplace after
    >claiming to support linux, then telling one of the users to remove Linux
    >if he wanted support after he called with problems revolving around a
    >winmodem installed in the thing.

    That may have something to do with this:

    Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux'

    'Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key
    Microsoft partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed
    that Dell disbanded its Linux business unit in early 2001.
    Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs in the
    summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered
    subsequently, six months after we heard Michael Dell
    declare his love of Linux on the desktop the previous
    winter. '
    techie, Aug 26, 2003

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    1: opt-in with archived, provable confirmation.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 26, 2003
  9. EAgle

    techie Guest

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:52:08 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >A company which outright lies to get sales is best avoided. That's cheaper
    >than taking legal action to get what you paid for in the first place.

    In a moral sense and as a consumer I despise Dell's abandonment of
    their Linux customers, but in a business sense I can see that they
    likely had a gun to their head. IMO the blame goes to Microsoft for
    its predatory business tactics.
    techie, Aug 27, 2003
  10. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:51:28 -0500, techie wrote:

    >>A company which outright lies to get sales is best avoided. That's
    >>cheaper than taking legal action to get what you paid for in the first
    >>place.
    >>

    > In a moral sense and as a consumer I despise Dell's abandonment of their
    > Linux customers

    Aye, but there's the rub.

    Dell are STILL claiming to support Linux... until you try and actually get it

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 27, 2003