    Always good to ask before parting with lots of cash.........
    Help Please.......
    John
    John, Sep 29, 2005

  2. From: "John" <>

    | Any Comments on Dell Laptops or Notebooks as they are called....
    | Is this a good reliable make ?
    | Any Pitfall's - and thing to avoid ?
    | Always good to ask before parting with lots of cash.........
    | Help Please.......
    | John

    And that is a security related question because....

    { always good to ask in the right News group where the subject matter is On Topic }

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    David H. Lipman, Sep 29, 2005

  3. John

    Imhotep Guest

    John wrote:

    > Any Comments on Dell Laptops or Notebooks as they are called....
    > Is this a good reliable make ?
    > Any Pitfall's - and thing to avoid ?
    > Always good to ask before parting with lots of cash.........
    > Help Please.......
    > John

    Dells were good for a while but have become very cheap in design the last
    year or so. I bought a HP Pavilion 81xx and like it a lot. Works great on
    linux/FreeBSD also....

    Im
    Imhotep, Sep 30, 2005
  4. John

    Winged Guest

    John wrote:
    > Any Comments on Dell Laptops or Notebooks as they are called....
    > Is this a good reliable make ?
    > Any Pitfall's - and thing to avoid ?
    > Always good to ask before parting with lots of cash.........
    > Help Please.......
    > John

    They push zeros and ones effectively.

    Hardware security is non-existent, but may be a non issue to most.

    We have used Dell Laptops in extreme environments (heat and sand) and
    they have held up over time almost as well as semi hardened systems.

    They don't work well after river swims and I would avoid dropping them
    from a 6 ft ladder to concrete floor with system on, the cases will
    break and the HDD and CD/DVD drives tend to become inop from shock,
    sometimes the motherboard and batteries may will fail. Tanks running
    over the top of system tends to crush system, however I heard one fell
    about 100 feet from a helicopter in the carry case (cheapest) and Laptop
    survived operational.

    From a system perspective they have good business class video and
    standard I/O. If you are planning on using box to frag opponents in the
    latest death match..you probably better off with a desktop system. I
    have had exp with several hundred of their systems over several
    generations and Dell Laptop systems are competent. Our standard life
    cycle is 3 years. I have one 400 Mhz Dell(originally ran win98) that
    still runs Linux flawlessly. The Dell laptops I have worked with all
    seem to be able to run either windows or Linux. This compatibility is a
    major issue in laptops as several vendors have issues with Linux. The
    Dell may not be the fastest performance wise but the hardware is usually
    reasonably mature and stable. Their support has been good and work with
    large orgs with tech shops reasonably well.

    Without knowing the mission requirement of the laptop it is a bit
    difficult to answer your question.

    There are a number of sites on the net that review such things, this
    newsgroup really isn't one of them, however you got my opinion of their
    systems anyway.

    Your mileage may vary and objects may be closer than they appear.

    Winged
    Winged, Sep 30, 2005