    good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
    it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    protected with the CGA?

    Bob, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Bob

    thing Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
    > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
    > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
    > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
    > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    > protected with the CGA?

    I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
    alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
    about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
    that is no biggee?

    Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    > > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    > > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

    value.
    > > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

    2
    > > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

    any
    > > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

    Is
    > > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    > > protected with the CGA?

    > I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
    > alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
    > about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
    > that is no biggee?
    >
    > Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at acer and asus. Asus look good,
    and have a 2 year warranty, but their WXGA screen isn't appaerently as good
    as dells, and I can get a better value machine from dell, including a nvidia
    video card.
    Acer look ok, but the new wide screen systems I have seem, I think are
    poorly built, and look like they are made from cheap silver plastic. Build
    quality is quite importent to me.

    I do have an HP 5L printer, which is why I was hoping for a parallel port,
    but it is no biggie, and I can get a USB expansion to get more USB ports.

    Bob, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Bob

    Robert Guest

    If a parallel port is so important get a USB adaptor like
    http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA075U
    I setup one last week to a HP6L - worked a treat.
    Warranty extension - cheaper & less hastle to get them at purchase time.

    Robert, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Bob

    Chris Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    >>>overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

    > value.
    >
    >>>There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

    > 2
    >
    >>>USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

    > any
    >
    >>>good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

    > Is
    >
    >>>it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    >>>protected with the CGA?

    >>I like them, I consider the build quality fine, there are other
    >>alternatives like Asus and Acer. dell would make my shopping list just
    >>about every time. While you loose a parallel port, surely these days
    >>that is no biggee?
    >>
    >>Just about everything is built in in most laptops these days.
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > Thanks for your feedback. I have looked at acer and asus. Asus look good,
    > and have a 2 year warranty, but their WXGA screen isn't appaerently as good
    > as dells, and I can get a better value machine from dell, including a nvidia
    > video card.
    > Acer look ok, but the new wide screen systems I have seem, I think are
    > poorly built, and look like they are made from cheap silver plastic. Build
    > quality is quite importent to me.
    >
    > I do have an HP 5L printer, which is why I was hoping for a parallel port,
    > but it is no biggie, and I can get a USB expansion to get more USB ports.

    I think thats an Inspiron model your referring too ? I am pretty happy
    with my 600m model but I'd probably want to spend the extra and buy a
    Latitude next time round as I think these are "robust" range, not thats
    theres anything wrong with with the one I have.

    Have you looked through the Dell message boards / groups ?

    When I got my Dell I was looking at most models and decided that the
    Dell was the best priced and the build quality was as good if not better
    than the ones I looked at in various shops.

    More than 2 USB ports would be good though - I got a 4 way hub. You can
    get hubs with parallel ports as well IIRC

    Chris, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Bob

    Nigel Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:09:59 +1200, Bob wrote:

    > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
    > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
    > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
    > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
    > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    > protected with the CGA?

    They're good laptops, I've got a 8500 & it's by far the best dell I've
    had, the first one to rival IBM thinkpads I think. There are a couple of
    guys @ work with 8600's and they've worked well too.
    The WXGA screen is awesome, not sure if you need the top resolution, I've
    got the 1680x1050.
    It's not light mind you & I didn't get an internal wifi card which was a
    mistake.
    USB2 runs well, I haven't tried the firewire connection.
    It runs Doom3 not too bad as well, which is a nice bonus :).
    The only thing I would say is that Nvidia are working on PCI-Express video
    cards for laptops, not sure when it's due out, but being able to easily
    swap out those would be good.
    Oh I got kingston RAM to jump it up to 768 instead of Dell, was cheaper.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Nigel" <sgidude_@_yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:09:59 +1200, Bob wrote:
    >
    > > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    > > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good

    value.
    > > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with

    2
    > > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they

    any
    > > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong?

    Is
    > > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    > > protected with the CGA?

    > They're good laptops, I've got a 8500 & it's by far the best dell I've
    > had, the first one to rival IBM thinkpads I think. There are a couple of
    > guys @ work with 8600's and they've worked well too.
    > The WXGA screen is awesome, not sure if you need the top resolution, I've
    > got the 1680x1050.
    > It's not light mind you & I didn't get an internal wifi card which was a
    > mistake.
    > USB2 runs well, I haven't tried the firewire connection.
    > It runs Doom3 not too bad as well, which is a nice bonus :).
    > The only thing I would say is that Nvidia are working on PCI-Express video
    > cards for laptops, not sure when it's due out, but being able to easily
    > swap out those would be good.
    > Oh I got kingston RAM to jump it up to 768 instead of Dell, was cheaper.
    >
    > Nigel

    Thanks Nigel,

    I am looking at the normal WXGA screen which is 1280x900, as the WSXGA
    screen which I think is the one you have got, I think would be too high a
    resolution, as everything looks very small at that res.
    My 18 inch desktop LCD is 1280x1024, which is a good resolution for its
    size, and I don't think I would want the resolution any higher on that.

    Bob, Sep 8, 2004
  8. Bob

    Nigel Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:47:43 +1200, Bob wrote:

    > Thanks Nigel,
    >
    > I am looking at the normal WXGA screen which is 1280x900, as the WSXGA
    > screen which I think is the one you have got, I think would be too high a
    > resolution, as everything looks very small at that res. My 18 inch desktop
    > LCD is 1280x1024, which is a good resolution for its size, and I don't
    > think I would want the resolution any higher on that.

    It can look small for sure, I spend a fair bit of time up scaling web
    pages in firefox, for apps like word etc it's a wash, with the
    (slight)favour going to the higher res screen.
    It really comes into it's own when you start editing photo's, which I do a
    bit of, horses for courses.
    Good luck, it's a nice laptop.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Sep 8, 2004
  9. Bob

    simondo Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    > overall they do have quite good reviews, and seem to be quite good value.
    > There build quality isn't meant to be the best, and they only come with 2
    > USB ports and no parallel port. Anyone have one of these, and are they any
    > good? ANyone had problems with Dells support should something go wrong? Is
    > it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    > protected with the CGA?

    I'm writing on an Inspiron 8600 and I'm entirely happy with it. I *really*
    like the big screen -- it's great to be able to put documents side-by-side
    instead of flicking desktops or windows. The quality of the image and
    viewing angle is pretty good too. The battery lasts at least a couple of
    hours with no power saving measures. Build quality wise, it feels pretty
    solid. Occasionally something makes a bit of a whirring noise but nothing
    serious or annoying. If you get the 7200 rpm hard drive option be prepared
    for some sweaty hands, as it's located under the wrists and generates a
    fair amount of heat. The other other caveat I can think of is that the
    screen isn't that flash hot for twitch games -- they tend to look a bit
    jumpy even though the video card's pumping out frames and a fairly
    impressive rate. But otherwise I'm pretty happy with the Dell.

    I didn't bother with the extended support myself. Too cheap :-D

    Cheers,
    simondo

    simondo, Sep 8, 2004
  10. Bob

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Sorry if this is a tad off-topic, but I recently purchased a Dell desktop
    with 17" LDC monitor, and i am very pleased with it.

    In contrast, work purchased similar machines with 17" CRT monitors, and they
    are reallly bad.

    Hard to make a call, but good luck with whatever you buy.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Sep 9, 2004
  11. Bob

    Brett Guest

    >> I am looking at Dell 8600 laptops, because of their WXGA screens, and
    >> it worth spend $300 dollars to extend the warranty, even though it is
    >> protected with the CGA?

    YES! That covers keyboard problems and dead pixels.

    I guess the screen will get alot of use because of yummy WXGA screen.

    Brett

    Brett, Sep 9, 2004