    A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    show a short.

    Charlie

    Charlie, Oct 28, 2009

  2. Charlie

    NotMe Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    news:hca6d9$cm2$-september.org...
    : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
    is
    : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    then
    : reconnected.
    : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    : show a short.
    :

    Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.

    NotMe, Oct 28, 2009

  3. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "NotMe" <> wrote in message

    > "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    > : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    > : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
    > it
    > is
    > : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    > : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    > then
    > : reconnected.
    > : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    > : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    > : show a short.
    > :
    >
    > Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.

    Tried that. No difference.

    Charlie, Oct 28, 2009
  4. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >>It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >>With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
    >>is
    >>plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    >>until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    >>then
    >>reconnected.
    >>Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >>A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >>show a short.

    > Well, it's either the laptop or the power supply. Likely the battery
    > is dead, hence it won't power up with the battery. Do you have another
    > battery or another power supply?

    No spare parts to try swapping. That is why it is a chore to decide what's
    broken.

    I am about to try a little test. I dug out a power resistor That is 16
    ohms. The p/s is rated at 19 volts.

    I am going to see if that shuts down the supply when used as a dummy load.

    Charlie, Oct 28, 2009
  5. Charlie

    NotMe Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "NotMe" <> wrote in message
    : news:hca6o3$ft6$-september.org...
    : >
    : > "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    : > news:hca6d9$cm2$-september.org...
    : > : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    : > : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    : > : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
    : > it
    : > is
    : > : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
    restored
    : > : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    : > then
    : > : reconnected.
    : > : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially
    history?
    : > : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does
    not
    : > : show a short.
    : > :
    : >
    : > Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.
    : >
    : >
    :
    : Tried that. No difference.

    Just this moment found a similar problem. Turned out the wire between the
    PS and the computer had a partial open (high resistance) in the circuit.

    NotMe, Oct 28, 2009
  6. Charlie

    floffy Guest

    wrote:

    >Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
    >plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    >until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
    >reconnected.
    >Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >show a short.
    >

    >Charlie

    The computer power plug is short
    try to find the short in the laptop

    floffy, Oct 28, 2009
  7. Charlie

    RickMerrill Guest

    floffy wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
    >> plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    >> until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
    >> reconnected.
    >> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >> A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >> show a short.
    >>

    >> Charlie
    >>

    > The computer power plug is [a] short
    > try to find the short [circuit] in the laptop

    Ditto! There is a short circuit somewhere between the power supply and
    the computer innards.

    RickMerrill, Oct 28, 2009
  8. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "NotMe" <> wrote in message

    > "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > :
    > : "NotMe" <> wrote in message
    > : news:hca6o3$ft6$-september.org...
    > : >
    > : > "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > : > news:hca6d9$cm2$-september.org...
    > : > : Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    > : > : It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    > : > : With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights
    > until
    > : > it
    > : > is
    > : > : plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
    > restored
    > : > : until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac
    > and
    > : > then
    > : > : reconnected.
    > : > : Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially
    > history?
    > : > : A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does
    > not
    > : > : show a short.
    > : > :
    > : >
    > : > Try removing the battery then connect the power supply.
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : Tried that. No difference.
    >
    > Just this moment found a similar problem. Turned out the wire between
    > the
    > PS and the computer had a partial open (high resistance) in the circuit.

    I don't have my hands on the h/w right now but that is an easy check. I
    should be so lucky.

    Charlie, Oct 28, 2009
  9. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "floffy" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >>It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >>With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
    >>is
    >>plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    >>until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    >>then
    >>reconnected.
    >>Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >>A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >>show a short.
    >>

    >>Charlie
    >>

    > The computer power plug is short
    > try to find the short in the laptop

    I said that I had done an ohmeter check at the power socket and it was not
    short or particularly low.

    Of course, there may be something breaking down at full voltage. Really
    hesitate to open a laptop unless there are no other options.

    Charlie, Oct 28, 2009
  10. Charlie

    floffy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:57:44 -0400, RickMerrill
    <> wrote:

    >floffy wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:34:54 -0400, "Charlie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >>> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >>> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it is
    >>> plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    >>> until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and then
    >>> reconnected.
    >>> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >>> A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >>> show a short.
    >>>

    >>> Charlie
    >>>

    >> The computer power plug is [a] short
    >> try to find the short [circuit] in the laptop
    >>

    >Ditto! There is a short circuit somewhere between the power supply and
    >the computer innards.

    Read connectly
    With out plug , power supply work , when plug its short.
    than the short is on the mother board of the laptop

    floffy, Oct 28, 2009
  11. Charlie

    chuckcar Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in

    > Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    > It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    > With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
    > it is plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
    > restored until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from
    > ac and then reconnected.
    > Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    > A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    > show a short.

    1. Do *any* lights come on on the laptop at *all*.
    2. Does the owner (who *should* be the one doing the posting BTW) shut the
    laptop on all the time and if so could we be dealing with a corrupted
    hibernation file.
    3. Did you do a power drain on the laptop?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 28, 2009
  12. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Charlie" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
    >> it is plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
    >> restored until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from
    >> ac and then reconnected.
    >> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    >> A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    >> show a short.
    >>

    > 1. Do *any* lights come on on the laptop at *all*.
    > 2. Does the owner (who *should* be the one doing the posting BTW) shut the
    > laptop on all the time and if so could we be dealing with a corrupted
    > hibernation file.
    > 3. Did you do a power drain on the laptop?
    >

    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    No lights, no activity. User is naive user and if you think about, has no
    way to get on line. The GD PC is inoperable.
    And you have piqued my curiosity. Why or how would a corrupted hibernation
    file cause the ac adapter to shut down?
    I await your cogent discussion. I love science fiction.

    Charlie, Oct 29, 2009
  13. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    Re: Dell Laptop --- Test results

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    > Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    > It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    > With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until it
    > is plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be restored
    > until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed from ac and
    > then reconnected.
    > Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially history?
    > A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power socket does not
    > show a short.

    I finally got the adapter home. I fired it up and hung a 16 ohm high power
    resistor on the output to see how it reacted with a known load.

    Well, the supply is rated at 19 vdc. So E(squared) divided R gives about
    22.5 watts. The supply did not shut down but the metal film resistor got
    nice and warm.

    Now to find out how to open the laptop without wrecking it and hopefully the
    fault will be (1) obvious and (2) repairable.

    Charlie, Oct 29, 2009
  14. Charlie

    chuckcar Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Charlie" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Neighbor asked me to look at a dell laptop.
    >>> It won't power up with battery or ac adapter.
    >>> With the ac adapter, the green pilot light on the adapter lights until
    >>> it is plugged into the laptop. Then the light goes out and cannot be
    >>> restored until adapter is not only removed from pc and also removed
    >>> from ac and then reconnected.
    >>> Is this most likely a bad adapter or is the laptop essentially
    >>> history? A quick ohmeter check looking into the pc from the power
    >>> socket does not show a short.
    >>>

    >> 1. Do *any* lights come on on the laptop at *all*.
    >> 2. Does the owner (who *should* be the one doing the posting BTW) shut
    >> the laptop on all the time and if so could we be dealing with a
    >> corrupted hibernation file.
    >> 3. Did you do a power drain on the laptop?
    >>

    > No lights, no activity. User is naive user and if you think about, has
    > no way to get on line. The GD PC is inoperable.
    > And you have piqued my curiosity. Why or how would a corrupted
    > hibernation file cause the ac adapter to shut down?

    It would cause the laptop to not boot at all. The difference between that
    and your initial post is non-existant as far as a user goes.

    > I await your cogent discussion. I love science fiction.

    Read the A plus test then. Both are in it. Do you *know* how to do a
    proper power drain?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Oct 29, 2009
  15. Charlie

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 04:41:53 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > non-existant

    Another one of your non-existent words?

    --
    Elmo McElroy: If I wanted cuisine, I'd have gone to Paris
    Felix DeSouza: You can still go to France. It's full of pricks. They hate

    Aardvark, Oct 29, 2009