Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by KM, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. KM

    KM Guest

    Good morning,
    Have been working on a neighbor's laptop (2 yrs old) off and on for the
    past 4 weeks. The initial problem was that the system would just shut down
    with no warning. At the same time they were complaining of the cooling fan
    surging hi to low and so on. I have ran the onboard diagnostics and see
    where the fan tests fine. Some of the memory address did not check out so
    well though.

    I finally got fed up and was able to (with great pain) reinstall windows and
    all of the drivers.
    The laptop has been flawless for 3 weeks until last night. While online
    the laptop locked up, fan shut off, and the system shut down. All I get now
    is a version of the blue screen of death with an "unmountable boot disk
    volume" error.( typing the message from memory)

    My questions are as follows:

    What controls the fan? chipset or module on the board?

    I do suspect the hard drive (my thoughts anyway) would a new drive help
    here? When I wiped the drive and reinstalled the OS all was great and
    flawless for 3 weeks.

    I sure could use some help with this one.

    Thanks!
    Kyle
    KM, Jun 21, 2006

  2. KM

    olfart Guest

    "KM" <> wrote in message
    > Good morning,
    > Have been working on a neighbor's laptop (2 yrs old) off and on for the
    > past 4 weeks. The initial problem was that the system would just shut down
    > with no warning. At the same time they were complaining of the cooling fan
    > surging hi to low and so on. I have ran the onboard diagnostics and see
    > where the fan tests fine. Some of the memory address did not check out so
    > well though.
    >
    > I finally got fed up and was able to (with great pain) reinstall windows
    > and
    > all of the drivers.
    > The laptop has been flawless for 3 weeks until last night. While online
    > the laptop locked up, fan shut off, and the system shut down. All I get
    > now
    > is a version of the blue screen of death with an "unmountable boot disk
    > volume" error.( typing the message from memory)
    >
    > My questions are as follows:
    >
    > What controls the fan? chipset or module on the board?
    >
    > I do suspect the hard drive (my thoughts anyway) would a new drive help
    > here? When I wiped the drive and reinstalled the OS all was great and
    > flawless for 3 weeks.
    >
    > I sure could use some help with this one.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Kyle

    Try posting on comp.sys.laptop
    olfart, Jun 21, 2006