    I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering Dell's
    Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Constantine

    TV Slug Guest

    Constantine wrote:
    > Hello All.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering
    > Dell's Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks
    > in advance.
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    I'd say to shop elsewhere. Personal experience with Dell is that they will
    resist fixing problems, especially if it's near the end of the warranty
    period. Add this to the bulk of consumer support coming from ESL speakers,
    and it is REALLY not fun.

    ---

    TV Slug, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Constantine

    I-Hate-Spam Guest

    Since Dell moved most of its operation to India you will find technical
    support a major pain in the @#$. You are bounced all over india like a
    seasoned traveler but still getting nowhere. They are difficult to
    understand and they have problems understanding what you are attempting to
    explain.

    I would stay away from Dell if possible. Remember, price is not the bottom
    line, support plays a major roll in decisions.

    Just my opinion

    I-Hate-Spam, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Constantine

    Adam Steiner Guest

    > Hello All.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering Dell's
    > Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    Dell's support seems to have suffered lately, but that seems to be primarily
    along the Home line of products. The business line (Latitude laptops) I've
    never had a problem with, and they moved their support back to America. A
    few of my friends bought Latitude 500 and 600's in the last couple of
    months, only one had a problem and Dell replaced it ASAP.

    The 5150, if I remember correctly, is big and heavy. What do you want to
    use the laptop for?

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Constantine

    LPV Guest

    "TV Slug" <> wrote in message
    > Constantine wrote:
    > > Hello All.
    > >
    > > I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering
    > > Dell's Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks
    > > in advance.
    > >
    > > Friendly, Kostas.

    > I'd say to shop elsewhere. Personal experience with Dell is that they

    will
    > resist fixing problems, especially if it's near the end of the warranty
    > period. Add this to the bulk of consumer support coming from ESL

    speakers,
    > and it is REALLY not fun.

    I can't take exception to TV Slug's comments regarding Dell. However, be
    aware that it is not only Dell that exhibits this type of behavior. Based
    on my experience with clients that use Gateway and HP/Compaq machines, this
    same type of behavior can be expected from them as well. Most computer
    manufacturer's (and other major corporations) have moved, or are moving, a
    significant segment of their customer service/support functions overseas
    (India seems to be the country that is garnering a large portion of this
    outsourcing).

    Loren Vetter

    LPV, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Constantine

    TV Slug Guest

    LPV wrote:
    > "TV Slug" <> wrote in message
    >> Constantine wrote:
    >>> Hello All.
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering
    >>> Dell's Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks
    >>> in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Friendly, Kostas.

    >> I'd say to shop elsewhere. Personal experience with Dell is that
    >> they will resist fixing problems, especially if it's near the end of
    >> the warranty period. Add this to the bulk of consumer support
    >> coming from ESL speakers, and it is REALLY not fun.

    > I can't take exception to TV Slug's comments regarding Dell.
    > However, be aware that it is not only Dell that exhibits this type of
    > behavior. Based on my experience with clients that use Gateway and
    > HP/Compaq machines, this same type of behavior can be expected from
    > them as well. Most computer manufacturer's (and other major
    > corporations) have moved, or are moving, a significant segment of
    > their customer service/support functions overseas (India seems to be
    > the country that is garnering a large portion of this outsourcing).
    >
    > Loren Vetter

    True, true. My method for purchasing just about anything these days is to
    first look for a toll-free number ahead of time and giving it a call. If
    they seem happy enough to talk to me prior to purchase, I'll generally be OK
    with that. It's AMAZING how many times the CSRs will be stupid enough
    (OK... poorly trained enough) to give me a hard time. These centers would
    do well to understand that it's bad enough to turn off someone who already
    bought, but turning away a POTENTIAL customer is even worse.

    ---

    TV Slug, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Constantine

    LPV Guest

    "TV Slug" <> wrote in message

    > <minor snip> My method for purchasing just about anything these days is

    > first look for a toll-free number ahead of time and giving it a call. If
    > they seem happy enough to talk to me prior to purchase, I'll generally be

    OK
    > with that.

    This sounds like an excellent idea - I plan to start using this technique
    immediately. Thanks for the tip!

    > It's AMAZING how many times the CSRs will be stupid enough
    > (OK... poorly trained enough) to give me a hard time. These centers would
    > do well to understand that it's bad enough to turn off someone who already
    > bought, but turning away a POTENTIAL customer is even worse.

    This is both sad and frustrating. In view of the level of competition to
    win/keep customers, it would seem to me that all companies (not just
    computer companies) would pay much closer attention to the type of customer
    service that is being provided on their behalf . Many times it seems like
    they really don't care at all. I believe most people are willing to spend a
    little bit more for a product or service if they know the company from which
    they make the purchase will do their level best in terms of "keeping the
    customer satisfied" (I know I am).

    Just my 2 cents...

    Loren Vetter

    LPV, Jan 29, 2004
  8. Constantine

    Night_Seer Guest

    Constantine wrote:
    > Hello All.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering
    > Dell's Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks
    > in advance.
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    Along with agreeing with what most people said on here, I would recomend
    a Toshiba, as we have had very good luck with Toshiba laptops in the
    past.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Constantine

    Constantine Guest

    > Hello All.
    >
    > I am thinking of getting myself a new laptop and I'm considering Dell's
    > Inspiron 5150. Any opinions or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. The idea to check the CS over the
    phone prior of buying is good one.

    My impression is that companies like Toshiba, IBM or HP/Compaq are
    overpriced, you're paying for the name. Small companies on the other hand
    have a questionable build quality. I think that Dell stands somewhere in the
    middle, making it the best option. But that's open to debate.

    The computer is going to be a desktop replacement, but since 8600 is too
    much for me, I was thinking about 5150. Has anybody seen it's monitor? The
    quality of the monitor is very important to me. After all, it's a matter of
    health and with my already bad eyesight I don't want a bad or average
    monitor.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Friendly, Kostas.

    Constantine, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Constantine

    George Guest

    From personal, multiple bad experiences with Toshiba products (not their
    laptops) I'd have to disagree with Night_Seer. And the most frustrating
    part of dealing with Toshiba is that they have so many different divisions
    it is hard to find the right one to even direct a complaint to AND if you
    phone the wrong one (I phoned 19 wrong ones all over the US) they feign
    ignorance of which division produces the product in question. Toshiba is at
    the very bottom of my list...

    George

    BTW--FWIW, everyone I spoke to at Toshiba did speak English but really
    didn't even try to be helpful, so attitude counts, too!

    George, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Constantine

    George Guest

    Before you buy, check for deals at www.techbargains.com. Frequently, you
    will find HP/Compaq is less than Dell. If you do buy Dell (I have their
    Inspiron 8200), know that with Dell pricing timing is everything...they seem
    to run VERY SHORT specials that will save you hundreds of dollars over their
    normal pricing.

    Good luck,
    George

    PS--I think your assessment of Toshiba and IBM pricing is correct as I've
    never seen really good deals on either of those brands.

    George, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Constantine

    I-Hate-Spam Guest

    I would make sure the notebook can support a docking station and use an
    external mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I find the keyboard on a notebook a
    little hard to get used to. Having a docking station is a huge bonus. You
    simply drop the notebook into the station and it looks and feels like a
    normal desktop PC. Plus, if the video supports dual monitors, the main
    display can be used in conjunction with the secondary display giving you a
    very large working area.

    I-Hate-Spam, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Constantine

    Night_Seer Guest

    George wrote:
    > From personal, multiple bad experiences with Toshiba products (not
    > their laptops) I'd have to disagree with Night_Seer. And the most
    > frustrating part of dealing with Toshiba is that they have so many
    > different divisions it is hard to find the right one to even direct a
    > complaint to AND if you phone the wrong one (I phoned 19 wrong ones
    > all over the US) they feign ignorance of which division produces the
    > product in question. Toshiba is at the very bottom of my list...
    >
    > George
    >
    > BTW--FWIW, everyone I spoke to at Toshiba did speak English but really
    > didn't even try to be helpful, so attitude counts, too!
    >
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Along with agreeing with what most people said on here, I would
    >> recomend a Toshiba, as we have had very good luck with Toshiba
    >> laptops in the past.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Night_Seer

    Honestly, I would never buy anything from Toshiba unless it was a Laptop
    or possibly a PDA, so what you say might be true. Anyways, the laptops
    themselves are very well made and fully featured. Haven't really had to
    deal with much tech support yet, which is why I think they are good.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Constantine

    George Guest

    The product that irritated me the most was the simplest
    imaginable...alkaline batteries. I've had their #&!@ alkaline batteries
    leak, not once, but twice in the same Nikon motor drive...just TRY to find
    which division is responsible for alkaline batteries. Just FWIW, I've also
    had problems with two of their printers...I just avoid Toshiba (like the
    plague) any more. Virtually no computer company makes their own laptops, so
    probably the biggest differentiator would be support...again, the reason I
    didn't recommend Toshiba.

    George

    George, Jan 31, 2004