    Hatch
    http://www.ifeellikebitching.com
    "Sometimes you just have to say something"
    blah, Oct 5, 2004

  2. blah

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you don't get the original with the DELL, you will have a lot of
    problems, especialy if you have to ever reinstall something that
    requires a re-start from the CD drive.

    These drives are usually dependable. Maybe you just got a bad one...

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "blah" <> wrote in message
    I have a dell laptop insprion 2650. It is only a year old, and the
    cdrom
    has died. Seems like its out of alignment or somethign as if you spend
    20
    minutes ejecting and reinserting it will eventually read the disk until
    it
    spins down. I've updated the drivers, and firmware when the problem
    began.
    Used rubing achohol, and a cdrom cleaning kit. Someone else had a
    compaq
    cdrom that did the same thing. I'm debating on buying a new drive, but
    if
    they do this i'll just get a usb external or something as i don't feel
    like
    spending 100 dollars, and tearing my laptop apart to replace it ever
    year.

    Jerry G., Oct 5, 2004

  3. blah

    blah Guest

    hmm that would be my luck. I don't feel like calling dell and ordering one,
    however i have manage to find the manufactor (lg to be exact) and found a
    replacement of same model to be about 90 bucks. I guess i should bite the
    bullet and buy one.

    blah, Oct 7, 2004
  4. blah

    ajv2003 Guest

    blah wrote:

    > I have a dell laptop insprion 2650. It is only a year old, and the cdrom
    > has died.

    There is the downside of buying the cheapest of the line from a vendor
    that has the best prices with the biggest profit margins. Cheap, cheap,
    cheap.

    Seems like its out of alignment or somethign as if you spend 20
    > minutes ejecting and reinserting it will eventually read the disk until it
    > spins down. I've updated the drivers, and firmware when the problem began.
    > Used rubing achohol, and a cdrom cleaning kit. Someone else had a compaq
    > cdrom that did the same thing. I'm debating on buying a new drive, but if
    > they do this i'll just get a usb external or something as i don't feel like
    > spending 100 dollars, and tearing my laptop apart to replace it ever year.

    Not only that, typically, the initial production run is it. Have a
    problem 4 years from introduction and parts can't be found.

    ajv2003, Oct 7, 2004